Dead Space 3

I just finished watching the video and while they're clearly trying to calm down their true fanbase by doing a strictly SP playthrough in there the game still looks dull and gives a feel of been there and done that...in two games already.

I loved both previous games but this one isn't doing much to differentiate itself from the previous installments except the shoehorned co-op, it also doesn't help that it feels too early for a sequel...the series is getting stale and Visceral needs to sit down and go back to the drawing board - a Metroid Prime structure would've been nice for example with a bigger focus on exploration, isolation & a non linear progression with a central hub, it's sad that we're not seeing more devs going that route since it can bring fresh air to some stale genres.

That being said I'll probably play it at some point but I don't anticipate the title like I was with the first two. :(

I'm surprised there's not much more talk about DS3.

Is this the first time we're seeing bokeh depth of field on consoles this generation?

The demo is out on Xbox Live and PSN. Also glad to see anti-aliasing in the series for the first time.

I'm surprised there's not much more talk about DS3.

Is this the first time we're seeing bokeh depth of field on consoles this generation?

The demo is out on Xbox Live and PSN. Also glad to see anti-aliasing in the series for the first time.
If I'm correct, Batman AC, Crysis 2, and Uncharted 3 had bokeh depth of field. And probably more that I'm missing.

As for the demo, it was just ok. Not bad but nothing amazing.

If I'm correct, Batman AC, Crysis 2, and Uncharted 3 had bokeh depth of field. And probably more that I'm missing.

As for the demo, it was just ok. Not bad but nothing amazing.

Add in Beyond Two Souls to the Bokeh DOF list too ;).

The ice tundra was cool, hope it has some moments resembles "The Thing".

I think it looks really nice indeed. I also think it comes across as a cynical, by-the-numbers AAA pussification of what used to be a genuinely creepy experience. It's Call of Dead Space alright (except in CoD the human enemy A.I.is actually less stupid) Frank Gibeau wasn't kidding when he said the next DS had to become less scary in order to reach a bigger player base. Oh well, and here I always thought horror wasn't supposed to be for everyone.

I think the whole mentality behind AAA games development is one giant catch 22. They want to reach more people, so they blow a shitload of money on production values, celebrity voice overs, expensive-ass marketing campaigns and multi-player modes that very few people actually care about. They also completely alienate their loyal fanbase in the process of course.

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut down on all the pointless and incredibly costly extra crap and instead continue to make quality products with their own identities? Sure, you probably won't sell as many copies that way, but you also didn't have to.

Liked the first game because it was somewhat fresh at the time, but it was not exactly scary and it was oh so predictable and linear. But the sequel was worse. It had that "trying too hard" feeling and the protagonist going from mute and mysterious to annoying Potty Mouth Scare Informer sucked. I am not even considering paying full price for #3.

I think it looks really nice indeed. I also think it comes across as a cynical, by-the-numbers AAA pussification of what used to be a genuinely creepy experience. It's Call of Dead Space alright (except in CoD the human enemy A.I.is actually less stupid) Frank Gibeau wasn't kidding when he said the next DS had to become less scary in order to reach a bigger player base. Oh well, and here I always thought horror wasn't supposed to be for everyone.

I think the whole mentality behind AAA games development is one giant catch 22. They want to reach more people, so they blow a shitload of money on production values, celebrity voice overs, expensive-ass marketing campaigns and multi-player modes that very few people actually care about. They also completely alienate their loyal fanbase in the process of course.

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut down on all the pointless and incredibly costly extra crap and instead continue to make quality products with their own identities? Sure, you probably won't sell as many copies that way, but you also didn't have to.

This is spot on about the state of "AAA" titles lately, Tomb Raider being another even worse example of a "focus group/let's copy what is popular" heavily influenced game.

About the DS3 demo I played it two times already and I have to wonder what's wrong with devs lately and their obsession with "immersive" and completely unnecessary walk slowly/press forward crap? of course after that there's a "heart pounding" QTE sequence to make things even more boring.

Then the demo is filled with "scary" enemies spawning in front of you and human enemies with guns, the fights against humans felt clunky at best with the gimped "cover" system and their horrible AI making things even worse when they attempted to rush me...also what's wrong with the drill sequence? why it takes so long? it's clearly going on for too long when the whole design/concept is not interesting/or fun to to begin with.

The game feels like it's being made by a different team that tries too hard to add things to the game to make it feel fresh like the universal ammo, weapon crafting, co-op, human enemies/semi-cover, more action oriented sequences while trying to stay true to the previous DS games and it's fans and the game ends up playing like a forced, clunky and confused mess. :(

This is spot on about the state of "AAA" titles lately, Tomb Raider being another even worse example of a "focus group/let's copy what is popular" heavily influenced game.

About the DS3 demo I played it two times already and I have to wonder what's wrong with devs lately and their obsession with "immersive" and completely unnecessary walk slowly/press forward crap? of course after that there's a "heart pounding" QTE sequence to make things even more boring.

Then the demo is filled with "scary" enemies spawning in front of you and human enemies with guns, the fights against humans felt clunky at best with the gimped "cover" system and their horrible AI making things even worse when they attempted to rush me...also what's wrong with the drill sequence? why it takes so long? it's clearly going on for too long when the whole design/concept is not interesting/or fun to to begin with.

The game feels like it's being made by a different team that tries too hard to add things to the game to make it feel fresh like the universal ammo, weapon crafting, co-op, human enemies/semi-cover, more action oriented sequences while trying to stay true to the previous DS games and it's fans and the game ends up playing like a forced, clunky and confused mess. :(

You do not fill me with warm rays of hope and optimism :cry:

I must have missed how Dead Space 2 could have brought feelings of hope and optimism. :)

Dead Space 1 was interesting because it has some serious parallels with System Shock 2 but they didn't really come close to getting the same horror feel or the same interesting exploration gameplay. Hell you have a where to go button, even though there is no exploration really. You're supposed to be a engineer but practically you're a tank with funky super weapons. But I still liked it more than Bioshock because it was clearly an attempt at horror-shifted space scifi. The little company got their game greenlighted and I figured if they were successful a sequel could be more interesting. But then DS2 went even more towards mindless predictable shooter but also threw in the bad voice-over, really isnt much horror (more macho shock factor) and had wildly varying difficulty.

I quit playing Dead Space 2 when I encountered those infant like enemies, mainly because I got stuck in that place with not much ammo. I HATE games that throw ticker enemies or swarm enemies like those...it's just annoying and they are not fun to fight but so many games are guilty of having them.

I must have missed how Dead Space 2 could have brought feelings of hope and optimism. :)

Dead Space 1 was interesting because it has some serious parallels with System Shock 2 but they didn't really come close to getting the same horror feel or the same interesting exploration gameplay. Hell you have a where to go button, even though there is no exploration really. You're supposed to be a engineer but practically you're a tank with funky super weapons. But I still liked it more than Bioshock because it was clearly an attempt at horror-shifted space scifi. The little company got their game greenlighted and I figured if they were successful a sequel could be more interesting. But then DS2 went even more towards mindless predictable shooter but also threw in the bad voice-over, really isnt much horror (more macho shock factor) and had wildly varying difficulty.

I love dead space for 2 reasons.

1. The shooting, unlike most games, spraying an praying don't help much and limbs are a massive focus.couple that with light ammo nigh on all the time and it be cool. Plus the weapons are kind a cool, Javaline be rocking :D ok that is more like 3 reasons :LOL:

2. The Atmosphere. The atmosphere in both IMO were fantastic.

Yeah the games to have some thick atmosphere no doubt. The weapons are pretty wild too. It's cool that you enjoy the games.

I'll get this at some point for sure. I greatly enjoyed the first game. The second one was a disappointment, but still ok. I'm not sure how I feel about the new Human enemies...

I'm really not liking the idea of a 2nd human partner in a horror game, literally takes away the fear factor for me.

i ran the ds3 demo on ps3 . i noticed that my tv was noticing the hdmi source as 1080p 60hz where as when i ran demos like most wanted , batman - then it showed 720p 60hz . So is the game running at native 1080p?

Back