Dark Souls

:LOL: Very nice analogy!!!

The constant fear of being ambushed by some twisted freak of a meat-head, coupled with the fact that other playes could invade your game at any time was what really put the fear of God in me whilst playing DS... i flippin loved it!!!

Funny thing is, i was so afraid of being invaded by a black phantom that as soon as the first one appeared in my game for the first time i just unleashed all my pent-up terror and oppressed fear on the poor sap straight away. Didn't even give him time to think or be strategic, i just visited my righteous fury and petrified nerd-rage on him until he was dead. Afterwards i was sweating so hard that i had to turn off the game and go and watch some TV to calm myself down :oops:

Hah ! I defeated all the tough bosses from far, safe and sound. When the first Black Phantom hit, I had this overwhelming sense of guilt and despair, as if I got caught cheating in a test. ^_^ ("F*ck, should have practised melee more !").

Here're the 2 funny invasion stories I came across:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18416625&postcount=21487
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18418912&postcount=21532

… and my own:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1350319&postcount=170 [EDIT: Pasted wrong link]

EDIT:

Same here ! :LOL:
Mixed with the fear is the feeling of getting violated and rage. ^_^

Ha Ha Ha ! Your stories are awesome :p ! I don't think any such thing can happen in any other game. Now, I understand Patsu :D ! I need to play this before anything else :eek: !

PhyreEngine is multiplatform but only for PC, PS3, PSP (developed by Sony).

They could do something like Codemasters and make a fully multiplatform engine based on it (EGO) but I've heard From Software wont be doing the 360 version.

Rumor says that From Software is only doing the PS3 version and NB will port it over to the 360.
Dark Souls is exclusive to the PS3 in Japan, and I'd imagine that the game will come out there first, so maybe it does make kind of sense.

Dark Souls Developer Q&A: Bigger maps, More Scythes, And More Mind Flayers:
http://www.1up.com/previews/dark-souls-developer-qa-bigger-maps

1UP: Probably the biggest change is the introduction of a seamless world. Will players find unique bosses guarding different parts of the map like in Demon's Souls? Are they divided into multiple sections?

Hitaka Miyazaki: To clearly pose a sense of achievement to the players, we will most likely maintain the "one map plus boss" format. However, the game will not completely be structured in this way.

1UP: Just how big do you expect the map to be?

HM: For simplicity of explanation, as compared to Demon's Souls, the map will be approximately 1.5 times the size. It may feel even bigger to the players.

1UP: With the "Soul Tendency" feature being removed, are you planning on creating something new to replace it?

HM: For Dark Souls, we will be implementing several new online features, but there will not be one aimed specifically to replace "Soul Tendency." This game will use a new network system which does not utilize a specific server. We plan to provide a new online experience using this new method.

1UP: Can we expect any enemies as powerful as the Mind Flayers from Demon's Souls? Because those things were terrifying.

HM: Of course!

Earlier they also commented that Dark Souls is not really open world, which is a great relief for me !

If the world is too big, I feel that the experience will be diluted. In Demon's Souls, the worlds are carefully crafted to trick and hurt you. I don't want to wander aimlessly say... on Gran Pulse in Demon's Souls. I want to press ahead purposefully to seek and fight the boss(es) in World X.

We already have Black Phantoms in Demon's Souls. They are mean. :devilish: It's dangerous to loiter too long in the wilderness.

EDIT: e.g., In Demon's Souls, if I appear in World 4 under Pure Black Tendency, it means I'm there to hunt Black Phantom Satsuki. It's all planned by me, after hours/days of training. :LOL: He's not even a boss.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/topics/2011/03/01/flying_get/

This week's Famitsu has an updated look at Dark Souls, From Software's spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls.

The big point of note in this update is the "bonfire system." During your exploration, when you encounter a bonfire, you can use that as a starting point to explore further. If you die, you'll restart there. You can also recover your HP at the bonfires. The bonfire can also be used to collect a substance called Est which can be placed in jars and carried around.

Other points mentioned in the Famitsu article:

When you're connected online, you can see the images of other players.

There are some enemies who will chase you up ladders. You can kick them down.

You can summon an undead cursed knight called Kurogane no Kishi, or Black Iron Night (the official English translation will probably be cooler sounding)

Using magic, you can turn yourself into iron form. However, your movement becomes slow.

The magazine also introduces an NPC called "Mysterious Saintly Woman," a variety of enemies like the

Dragon Zombie, and a variety of fields like the Giant Library, the Submerged Ruins, and the Marshes. These are all seamlessly connected, as previously announced.

Back