Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

Couldn't watch that youtuber - too many video cuts.
she is pretty.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-what-skyrim-had-that-fallout-4-lost

An excellent article on what made Skyrim so good. One of the things I loved about Skyrim in something the author of the article does mention. The fact that your imagination was totally free to create a background for your character.

I remember how much I laughed telling stories about my character to my best friend on Xbox Live and had fun inventing backgrounds for my character. :smile2: Like... he/she had stolen some hens, or that he/she went to Skyrim because they expected to have a mall there so they could buy perfume, something which was scarce in their homeland.

Or say.. they met and fell in love with someone who smelled to jasmine and bla bla bla.

I read it yesterday and spent several minutes rolling my eyes. Skyrim is one of those very rare games where you get no backstory and no imperative, just an open world. Games like Skyrim are basically non-existent now. Fallout 4 didn't "lose" things from Skyrim, they chose to have a backstory and give the player a motivation, just like the Witcher games, previous Fallout games, GTA, Dishonoured, Drago Age, the list goes on and on.

The article may as well have said Fallout 4 lost "magic", it would be an equally idiotic claim. I love Skyrim but to compare Fallout 4 to it, other than noting the obviously similar mechanics which are ubiquitous in RPGs these days, is nonsense.

How do you feel about comparing Skyrim to Oblivion? I'm still not entirely sure what makes any Bethesda game "so good". Weird automatons walking around in a simplistic, mostly-consequence-free mini-world. Almost everything in sight has an unshakable need to kill you, even the rats head straight for ya, just like real life!!! :D Everything about their games is a little broken, but still a bit entertaining for short periods of time.

I am relieved that the abstraction of statistics-for-skills has been reduced in their recent games, but really that seems to be done just so a person can be awesome at all skills in a single play through. Not so much better world simulation.

I think it's a shame that they got the Fallout franchise instead of Terminator. Man if only they could make a modern version of their old Future Shock game, ideally not on a Gamebryo engine though. GSC Gameworld would probably be a better choice for developer of that anyway.

Last edited:
How do you feel about comparing Skyrim to Oblivion?
Oblivion and Skyrim are cut from the same cloth; both games go out of their way to encumber you with zero baggage. Each game has a story which you can completely ignore - with the main campaigns being a low single digit figure in terms of total game content.

Both work for me but aside from a lot of similar mechanics, which aren't unique to Bethesda games but RPGs in general, they are different animals.

I read it yesterday and spent several minutes rolling my eyes. Skyrim is one of those very rare games where you get no backstory and no imperative, just an open world. Games like Skyrim are basically non-existent now. Fallout 4 didn't "lose" things from Skyrim, they chose to have a backstory and give the player a motivation, just like the Witcher games, previous Fallout games, GTA, Dishonoured, Drago Age, the list goes on and on.

The article may as well have said Fallout 4 lost "magic", it would be an equally idiotic claim. I love Skyrim but to compare Fallout 4 to it, other than noting the obviously similar mechanics which are ubiquitous in RPGs these days, is nonsense.
@DSoup , I think your point is fine, although the other way around works for me. No backstory means that you write the destiny of your character, before he/she was known. You are the creator of their background too, in your imagination. That works perfectly in Bethesda games. What do you mean by imperative? From what I understand, Skyrim has a main campaign, so it has an imperative. I agree with you IF you mean that after the game starts they don't ask you to continuing by moving with speed to make

Speak to a dragon or a person. Tell them how you feel. Have a quiet word with them about subjects --if guards don't intrude your business. Go for a stroll. Plan something. Stay at home and rest up. Get some sleep and recover. That means Skyrim to me.

Skyrim an Elder Scrolls games for me in general are this. I WOULD be this guy. He plays Oblivion and he disagrees with the politics of Chorrol. (he is so hilarious btw) :smile2::smile2: "Yeah. The servants are setting the table right now. They have no food to set the table with, actually, except for my poison apples. They look kind of confused, actually" :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:"So I am gonna stay here, I guess, and...wait for the first of the guests to arrive. Yeah, it's just about time for dinner. Here comes someone..." :LOL::LOL::LOL:

also this is very Bethesda like

How do you feel about comparing Skyrim to Oblivion? I'm still not entirely sure what makes any Bethesda game "so good". Weird automatons walking around in a simplistic, mostly-consequence-free mini-world. Almost everything in sight has an unshakable need to kill you, even the rats head straight for ya, just like real life!!! :D Everything about their games is a little broken, but still a bit entertaining for short periods of time.

Bethesda games are very strange in that each individual system in them is kind of bad or broken, but together they form some kind of playable or even compelling whole. Probably they have secretly discovered some kind of digital drug which they slip into their code, some kind of software cocain perhaps.

Bethesda games are very strange in that each individual system in them is kind of bad or broken, but together they form some kind of playable or even compelling whole. Probably they have secretly discovered some kind of digital drug which they slip into their code, some kind of software cocain perhaps.
Generally there's more good than bad which is usually enough for the target market to see past the flaws and balance issues. Can you imagine a Bethesda RPG without the physics freaking out? It would feel wrong. :yep2:

Can you imagine a Bethesda RPG without the physics freaking out? It would feel wrong. :yep2:

Haha, yeah. I've been playing Bethesda games since Daggerfall, so I fully expect each release to contain a number of interesting bugs and glitches :D

I remember the final patch for Daggerfall actually included a quick key combination for teleporting you back to the last known "safe" location since they could never fix the problem of you slipping through geometry in stairs and falling into the void.

Some people are criticising that the original PC game looked better than the remaster in some instances, save for the grass. (don't mind the 60 vs 30 fps on split screen)

But there are improvements, some of them are the kind of ones many people wouldn't expect, quite surprising, as explained in this nice, peculiar video.

It's worth noting that even without mods you can modify the ini in the original Skyrim to extend the foliage (both distance and density) and view distance as much as you like.

The rain occlusion was something I noticed, in addition to the rain itself varying in intensity. The occlusion works very well and surprised me when I first noticed it.

The rain occlusion was something I noticed, in addition to the rain itself varying in intensity. The occlusion works very well and surprised me when I first noticed it.
another advantage of the 64 bits code is that massive battles like this new one, would be impossible in the previous version without having the engine crawl at 20 or less fps.

Quoting the creator of the video:

The Battles are BACK! We Skyrim NOW! Skyrim Special Edition is amazing and runs at 5-6 times the frame rate as the original when I optimise everything. Attempted this on original skyrim at 4k and it was literally impossible, on special edition it works like magic and performs in my judgement, even better than Fallout 4.This series will be about maximum beauty, aesthetic and all-round awesomeness through the power of the dovah!

bonus video :smile2:

Last edited:
I had never heard about the mesh mod, kind of DF material

Last edited:
With this mod support I am actually thinking about getting the Xbox One version of the game. The girl of the video says that the game performs the same with this mods on. :smile2:

With that one she lists, Project Hippie, which is SO impressive, running at the same framerate and without issues, it's quite the achievement, because the game looks much much better, everything has more polygons, cities have a LOT more life. Is that true, no framerate issues with all of those nice mods going on?

Mods recommended in the video that make me think about getting Skyrim again, which is one of my favourite games ever.

mod 1 (female characters are going to look incredible):

ADORABLE FEMALES

NATURAL EYES

KS HAIRDOS LITE

mod 2 (increases the meshes of the graphics, like JK on PC, the change is sublime in number of polygons and their roundness, so impressive, it makes Skyrim a 2016 game instead of a game from 2011):
STATIC MESH IMPROVEMENT MOD (SMIM):love::love:

mod 3: Skyrim has much more life, especially the cities and villages, with more lush tress and vegetation. Superb.
PROJECT HIPPIE :love::love:

mod 4: characters interaction with the environment and atmosphere is much much better, the condensation of the cold comes from characters mouths when it's cold, snow sticks to characters clothes over time....
WET AND COLD

mod 5: climatology is much better again, a glorious sunshine, a nebulous landscape, clear or cloudy nights, rainy days, snowflakes more genuine, the atmosphere is MUCH better, days in Skyrim will never be the same -the second most impressive mod, perhaps)
VIVID WEATHERS :love::love:

mod5: (you can join the Blades without killing Paarthurnax)
THE PAARTHURNAX DILEMMA

Last edited:
I had never heard about the mesh mod, kind of DF material
Surprising, it's one of the most popular Skyrim mods. There are a bunch of core mods that are pretty much standard for PC users: the unofficial patch, SMIM, Script Extender, SkyUI, XCE and more. But if you've been playing only on console then these things will be a nice surprise :yes:

Generally I'm not a fan of mods that fundamentally change Skyrim but The Paarthurnax Dilemma is one of the few I do use because the base game feels weird not giving you, the Dragon Born, another option.

So the mesh mods wont be on ps4 right? Since they are custom.meshes? What about the enhanced cities etc?

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Surprising, it's one of the most popular Skyrim mods. There are a bunch of core mods that are pretty much standard for PC users: the unofficial patch, SMIM, Script Extender, SkyUI, XCE and more. But if you've been playing only on console then these things will be a nice surprise :yes:

Generally I'm not a fan of mods that fundamentally change Skyrim but The Paarthurnax Dilemma is one of the few I do use because the base game feels weird not giving you, the Dragon Born, another option.
well, aside from the natural lighting mods that looked so gorgeous, other mods with incredible textures, the typical nude mods and stuff like that, I had never heard of JK or Project Hippie, which to me are some of the most impressive because of the changes in geometry, not just a textures thing. The weather mod is actually nice too.

Since installing mods on console doesnt require as much fiddle, I dont think Id play the vanilla experience if I get the game, which I am seriously thinking about now, after watching the mods in the video, and they dont seem to affect the framerate.

Back