Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2024] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

I want to see this "gamer" person that thinks that playing cod at 60 fps is somehow unplayable due to high latency, sitting on his 480 fps gamer throne.

People that think that are a small minority, and shouldn't be relevant to the discussion.

“Competitive” gamers, the ones who think they need 200+ fps at 200Hz+.

Aren’t you proposing that frame gen introduces unacceptable latency even though the absolute increase in latency is minimal? Does that mean you’re also in the minority?

“Competitive” gamers, the ones who think they need 200+ fps at 200Hz+.

Aren’t you proposing that frame gen introduces unacceptable latency even though the absolute increase in latency is minimal? Does that mean you’re also in the minority?
Can you please quote where I say that frame gen introduces unacceptable latency?

Can you please quote where I say that frame gen introduces unacceptable latency?

You claimed latency is the most important aspect of performance. You then disagreed that the impact of FG latency was a subjective issue. And also said latency can make or break the experience.

My point was that latency you find acceptable will be considered unacceptable by more “elite” gamers just like other people are perfectly fine with latency that you would consider to “break” the experience. Hence it’s subjective and latency isn’t the most important aspect of performance for everyone.

You claimed latency is the most important aspect of performance. You then disagreed that the impact of FG latency was a subjective issue. And also said latency can make or break the experience.

My point was that latency you find acceptable will be considered unacceptable by more “elite” gamers just like other people are perfectly fine with latency that you would consider to “break” the experience. Hence it’s subjective and latency isn’t the most important aspect of performance for everyone.
I'm not arguing that everyone has the same level of acceptance of latency, I'm saying that in a game, where game feel is usually more important than visuals, latency directly affects the game, and so it's the most important aspect of performance.

Lower latency gives you an advantage, even if you don't notice it.

I'm saying that in a game, where game feel is usually more important than visuals,
I don't think that's a universal truth for everyone. It'll depend on player and game type. I think it also worth noting how much latency we're considering. An extra 30 ms might be imperceptible to most players on one type of game (Pikmin, say) so upscaling from 30fps to 60fps won't bother the playerbase. Whereas with other games like competitive shooters, higher input latency may matter BUT if you are already running a high refresh rate (60) and are pushing for higher (120), that additional latency might not be high enough to matter. Higher framerates isn't just about lower latency but also higher visual feedback on game state, and the smoother motion from 120 Hz upscaled might be preferential to some than the lower latency of 60 fps.

A truck load of user research is required - we don't have enough knowledge yet to know what the best average target is (for a given game style).

I don't think that's a universal truth for everyone. It'll depend on player and game type. I think it also worth noting how much latency we're considering. An extra 30 ms might be imperceptible to most players on one type of game (Pikmin, say) so upscaling from 30fps to 60fps won't bother the playerbase. Whereas with other games like competitive shooters, higher input latency may matter BUT if you are already running a high refresh rate (60) and are pushing for higher (120), that additional latency might not be high enough to matter. Higher framerates isn't just about lower latency but also higher visual feedback on game state, and the smoother motion from 120 Hz upscaled might be preferential to some than the lower latency of 60 fps.

A truck load of user research is required - we don't have enough knowledge yet to know what the best average target is (for a given game style).
Let's remember where the conversation started: if frame generation is considered performance. It's a pretty broad topic, so unless I were to write 10000 words on the topic, I have to generalize I bit. There are so many opinions and preferences on this stuff.
But on how a reviewer should consider frame generation, it wouldn't sit well with me if he said that a game is running at 120 when it's actually running at 60 + FG. That objectively isn't the same experience that a "true" frame rate gives you, no matter if you are sensitive to this stuff or not.

But on how a reviewer should consider frame generation, it wouldn't sit well with me if he said that a game is running at 120 when it's actually running at 60 + FG.

If they’re reviewing hardware then I think it’s fine as long as all the hardware has frame generation enabled or it’s clearly called out where numbers are higher due to frame generation.

That objectively isn't the same experience that a "true" frame rate gives you, no matter if you are sensitive to this stuff or not.

Agreed, 120fps with frame generation isn’t the same as true 120fps and is objectively inferior. However we don’t have a good definition of “true” in this context either.

I don’t think we can outright dismiss FG as not improving performance. It arguably improves some aspects of performance (number of displayed games) while hurting others (input latency). Not to mention IQ implications. So it’s up to the end user to understand those performance and IQ tradeoffs and decide whether they’re worth it.

If they’re reviewing hardware then I think it’s fine as long as all the hardware has frame generation enabled or it’s clearly called out where numbers are higher due to frame generation.

Agreed, 120fps with frame generation isn’t the same as true 120fps and is objectively inferior. However we don’t have a good definition of “true” in this context either.

I don’t think we can outright dismiss FG as not improving performance. It arguably improves some aspects of performance (number of displayed games) while hurting others (input latency). Not to mention IQ implications. So it’s up to the end user to understand those performance and IQ tradeoffs and decide whether they’re worth it.
Absolutely agree. Transparency and clarity on the data is key.

Let's remember where the conversation started: if frame generation is considered performance.
I've already discussed my view there - reviewers shouldn't talk about 'performance' that way and should clarify the different aspects that they might group under 'performance'. I feel what you've posted is tangential to that, on how people experience input and feedback. I agree with you that games shouldn't simply described as "120Hz" is they are framerate upscaled, but I disagree that input latency is of primary importance.

With unplayable I meant so bad that it makes me not want to play it. And 150-200 Ms of latency in a fps plus a old LCD tv was a horrible experience... so bad that even someone who doesn't know anything about latency would notice it.
133ms after an early patch, which is not great, but not disastrous for a 30fps game, either.

Either way, you seem very selective over which points you think are 'relevant'. Prey on PS4 has a User Score of 8.2 on Metacritic, which would suggest that you are in the 'small minority' of people who think it's unplayable cuz of this issue. Yet you still thought it was relevant to bring up anyways.

The reason I ask is there are several 3rd Party games that only have a 60fps mode on Series X not S. It's strange that 3rd Parties would have that but not any 1st Party games? I guess 3rd parties may not be putting in as much work on Series S versions but it does make one wonder.
So it looks like I spoke too soon or MS has changed stance. Starfield looks like the first 1st party game to have a better framerate mode on the X vs S. Series X is getting a 60fps mode with the May update.

Agreed, 120fps with frame generation isn’t the same as true 120fps and is objectively inferior
Not necessarily. True 120fps can be worse if it's running with bad frame pacing, has frequent fps drops or stutters, and runs with Vertical Synchronization.

In that case, 120fps with frame gen can be objectively more superior if it's devoid of any frame pacing/fps drops/stutters issues, runs with Reflex and doesn't use Vertical Synchronization. It will achieve smoother playback as well as better useful/predictable and lower latency.

Which is why I feel context matters in these cases, it's no longer one variable, rather a multitude of them balanced in certain ways to achieve a certain level of experience.

New patch just released for Horizon Forbidden West on PC. This one actually states specifically that it's fixed the texture issue.

1714660207204.png

I tested it and can definitely confirm that with this latest patch they have fixed it.

Not necessarily. True 120fps can be worse if it's running with bad frame pacing, has frequent fps drops or stutters, and runs with Vertical Synchronization.

Are any of those things related to frame generation though? Of course you can always toss in random negative things to only one side of any comparison but I don’t see the point in that.

New patch just released for Horizon Forbidden West on PC. This one actually states specifically that it's fixed the texture issue.

View attachment 11238

I tested it and can definitely confirm that with this latest patch they have fixed it.

Is that the Aloy texture issue in photomode that you're referring to? I'm not seeing anything there relating to general texture streaming issues in vram limited scenarios which seemed to be resolved in the previous patch for me.

Is that the Aloy texture issue in photomode that you're referring to? I'm not seeing anything there relating to general texture streaming issues in vram limited scenarios which seemed to be resolved in the previous patch for me.
Yea, specifically that issue.

Why would they have that in these new patch notes if you say they seem to have been solved in the last one? lol

Yea, specifically that issue.

Why would they have that in these new patch notes if you say they seem to have been solved in the last one? lol

The issue I was referring to from the last patch was how the game handles vram overflow (primarily texture streaming).

Neither does running an online game at 20000fps if the server updates at 20hz, though your perception of the latency may be different. I've also found that, by and large, frame generation+ nVidia Reflex feels as responsive or sometimes more responsive than having both of those options off. I'm sure there are cases when it is not, but in the limited amount of games I've tried, FG+Reflex isn't adding latency, it's just improving some of the other aspects that influence "performance".

So, yes, FG isn't helping with latency, but if it isn't hurting latency and it's improving other things, and it feels better to the end user because of the increase in motion fluidity... So if some of the other variables in performance increase but the most important one stays the same, wouldn't that be better performance?
I can pretty immediately feel when FG is on latency wise, but I can’t tell the difference between Reflex on vs Reflex off. The input lag on keyboard and mouse with FG feels horrible to me.

On tick rate vs fps: I think the biggest issue is the end user doesn’t ‘see’ physics interpolations. It is very clear to me when a frame is ‘fake’ by the fact the input felt laggier and there is some artifacting. I’m not examining physics simulations in the same way.

Responsiveness imo is the big reason to run a high framerate. I did play Spiderman with FG on but that was with a controller so you can’t really feel latency the same way on controller. That game also didn’t artifact very much.

I would also say that part of the disconnect is that we’ve been conditioned to accept higher latency when fps drops. When I play at 60Hz, I expect 60fps levels of latency. With FG my eyes see basically 120, but my hands feel 60, which makes it feel ‘fake’ if that makes sense.

Back