Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say redeemed but more like on life support. Sure it is fixed for now but for how long the treatment will continue to what extent?

After all, 2 GB GTX 770 ran Rise of Tomb Raider and Arkham Knight with great visuals with its tiny 2 GB buffer. With games after 2018; have to reduce textures to a point games look really worse than these two games I've listed due to abhorrent textures. (RDR2 for example looks visually worse than Rise of the Tomb Raider with low textures. Yes, it has better GI, shadows etc. but clearly a better "texturing" solution could've been procured. But at that point, who cares for 2 GB GPUs anyways? Sooner or later, if enough people move on from 8 gig cards, devs will stop doing these "patches". It just proves that capability and ability and doability is there. It just depends on the user outrage. (Though in the case of Forspoken, ship has sailed already. However if it indeed fixed the problem, I could consider getting the game on %50 sale)

The VRAM usage on recent games is very mysterious. Individual textures don't look appreciably higher resolution. Is it that there are just many more unique textures nowadays and games are relying less on tiling/repetition? I've been struggling with out of memory crashes on a 8GB 3050 when running Injustice 2 at 4K. There's no way on god's green earth a fighting game should be using that much VRAM.

The VRAM usage on recent games is very mysterious. Individual textures don't look appreciably higher resolution. Is it that there are just many more unique textures nowadays and games are relying less on tiling/repetition? I've been struggling with out of memory crashes on a 8GB 3050 when running Injustice 2 at 4K. There's no way on god's green earth a fighting game should be using that much VRAM.

I would point to developers choosing to just fill VRAM rather then spending time to optimise.

Patches for Returnal, Forspoken and Hogwats and good reports of the RE4 demo.

Been a good last couple of days for us PC gamers 😍

Even Gotham Knights (as noted) got a good perf uptick (once again, shader pre-compilation works wonders), unfortunately it's still Gotham Knights. Still, very good that a healthy chunk of games are getting meaningful patches.

I don't have high hopes for Dead Space to get substantial improvements with its stuttering but it's the one I'm most interested in.

Oh one other surprising thing about the RE4 demo on PS5: It's one of the few games that has some fine-grained control of graphical settings beyond just performance/quality/RT, specifically you can toggle Depth of Field and 'Hair Strands', which provides for more detailed hair + fur.

Default hair looks good enough, but this setting seems to up the individually animated stands and just provides a slightly mode detailed mesh. It does have a performance cost though, in framerate mode without RT, you cannot get a stable 60 in the opening forest area with it on, but the drop may be minimal enough throughout the campaign that it will make sense for VRR users, albeit the drop may be higher in other scenes with more hair/fur than just the main character as well. Glad it's an option at least.

Very interesting to see these kinds of settings usually reserved for the PC version exposed though.

RE4 Remake is another broken console engine ported to the PC for nVidia user. Hair rendering is totally broken on nVidia GPUs and Raytracing costs 36% performance for nothing:

These developers have to rethink their approach for PC ports. Only designing with consoles in mind will end in a desaster.

I'm only familiar from the user-land code side, not the hardware or the driver, but mobile tile based culling/sorting seems quite good -- do you have a resource on those details?

yeah dude we get it you hate raytracing and women, can you grow up/move on.
Hate women? yea thats certainly one way to interpret that.... Not what id say but, you're free to believe what you want...

RE4 Remake is another broken console engine ported to the PC for nVidia user. Hair rendering is totally broken on nVidia GPUs and Raytracing costs 36% performance for nothing:

I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing in that comparison. You've haven't named the shots anything descriptive and the character changes position as well. What's the issue with hair there?

If the intent to show raytracing has minimal impact in some scenes they yeah, RE games have always had weak RT implementations. I never expect them to be showcases for the tech.

These developers have to rethink their approach for PC ports. Only designing with consoles in mind will end in a desaster.

If you think this demo is a 'disaster' on PC then there aren't enough words in the English language to describe the quality of other ports. It runs smoothly, finally has better upscaling tech than Interlaced mode, no obvious glaring bugs. I doubt it's perfect but this is far from a broken port.

I just tried the RE4 demo on PS5. It looks sharp in stills but as soon as you are moving even a little bit, wow the blurry mess!

What they are using for motion blur (or TAA, reconstruction?) is awful. It's way way too strong. They really should include an option to toggle it off. As there is plethora of options it's really odd not find a motion blur toggle. Currently this reminds me the super cheap cinematic MB filters some devs were using on PS2 or PS3 games + the cheap TAA Naugty dogs were using in the first versions of UC4.

There is also a CA + Lense toogle activated by default. I don't even dare to even try the game with that sh**.

I just tried the RE4 demo on PS5. It looks sharp in stills but as soon as you are moving even a little bit, wow the blurry mess!

What they are using for motion blur (or TAA, reconstruction?) is awful. It's way way too strong. They really should include an option to toggle it off. As there is plethora of options it's really odd not find a motion blur toggle. Currently this reminds me the super cheap cinematic MB filters some devs were using on PS2 or PS3 games + the cheap TAA Naugty dogs were using in the first versions of UC4.

There is also a CA + Lense toogle activated by default. I don't even dare to even try the game with that sh**.

It's surprising as it has the specular flicker that resembles what you got on the PC versions of Village/RE2/3 with their broken TAA when combined with some reflective surfaces. The console versions were 'softer' but their image stability, even when using checkerboarding, was very good and could even exhibit less specular aliasing in some scenes than the PC at native 4k (albeit it varies).

It's not just when moving the camera though, when looking at the forest floor in the opening there's noticeable specular shimmer in the moonlight from even the very slight camera bob when stationary (I am sensitive to that particular reconstruction anomaly though).

Wondering if something is not working correctly or they just went fully with FSR this time over checkerboarding.

It's surprising as it has the specular flicker that resembles what you got on the PC versions of Village/RE2/3 with their broken TAA when combined with some reflective surfaces. The console versions were 'softer' but their image stability, even when using checkerboarding, was very good and could even exhibit less specular aliasing in some scenes than the PC at native 4k (albeit it varies).

It's not just when moving the camera though, when looking at the forest floor in the opening there's noticeable specular shimmer in the moonlight from even the very slight camera bob when stationary (I am sensitive to that particular reconstruction anomaly though).

Wondering if something is not working correctly or they just went fully with FSR this time over checkerboarding.
Yes there is a bit of specular aliasing but that's really not an issue here. It's a very different problem as everything does look sharp (even if many textures are low res). But they just went crazy with some cheap motion blur (you can see previous frames sometimes) even at very slow motion. It looks like some cheap cinematic effect (before true motion blur) used in some very old games.

I would say that the controls, while by default obviously terrible, can be tweaked in the options until they get really good.

I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing in that comparison. You've haven't named the shots anything descriptive and the character changes position as well. What's the issue with hair there?

If the intent to show raytracing has minimal impact in some scenes they yeah, RE games have always had weak RT implementations. I never expect them to be showcases for the tech.
Hope that shows it better: https://imgsli.com/MTYxMjkx

The hair rendering takes additional 3,1ms for 10% screen area - that is 66% of the time a whole frame takes to get rendered without advanced hair rendering. And it is so unoptimized for nVidia that the GPU gets stalled by it...

Texture samplers use pixel shader derivatives to perform mipmap selection. The graphics pipeline is intricately linked with each other along the stages ...

Even the resource binding model shows performance side effects on pixel shaders as an example ...

Shouldn’t we be asking a different question - i.e. is raster a complete solution to the problem. Yes texture filtering needs derivatives and they’re readily available from pixel shaders. But that’s really only true for primary visibility. General purpose texture filtering for non camera facing surfaces and funky stuff like refraction seems to warrant a different solution.

You can actually turn MB off in the RE4 demo! That's much better now. It was the last setting in camera, not video. Silly me.

I don't remember the villagers being so fast on GC! They were so sluggish back then, but now they aggro you (like 10 of them) almost immediately.

Hope that shows it better: https://imgsli.com/MTYxMjkx

The hair rendering takes additional 3,1ms for 10% screen area - that is 66% of the time a whole frame takes to get rendered without advanced hair rendering. And it is so unoptimized for nVidia that the GPU gets stalled by it...

Ah ok I get it. Yeah that's an insane performance hit for slightly better hair, could potentially be a driver issue as well though. You say this is an issue for Nvidia - is there evidence of Radeon not having this drastic performance loss?

Edit: Ok I tried it on my 3060. Right in the opening area at the start.

Settings: All High (max Mesh), SSAO, 1080p (no FSR)

With RT (High)

Hair Strands: Off

72fps

Hair Strands: Normal

61ps

Hair Strands: High

60fps

Without RT

Hair Strands: Off

78fps

Hair Strands: Normal

65 fps

Hair Strands: High

64 fps

Last edited:
Been playing with FSR 2 on quality I can get my RTX4070ti to run below ~100w of power with everything maxed (including ray tracing) at 1440p60fps.

FSR balanced drops it down to ~80w of power!

At max settings with ray tracing at native 1440p60fps my entire PC is pulling ~120w

🤯

The Outer Worlds: Spacers Choice Update looks to be a Witcher-3 level disaster, if not worse.

View attachment 8414

View attachment 8415

It's shit on every platform, but got it on PC, and not surprisingly - tons of shader stutter. You can lower the settings and use dynamic res to get 60, but the constant shader stutter makes that unsustainable on any hardware combo. Submitted refund immediately.

Was done by Virtuous Studios btw - the guys responsible for the port of Horizon:Zero Dawn that Guerilla had to come in and fix. Considering that and the lack of 'modern' (cough) features like DLSS/FSR, I'm not entirely hopeful we'll see patches that address these issues to any significant degree.

Really...why? What is the impetus to push something out this broken right now? It's March 7th my man, not Dec 23rd. It can wait a few more weeks.
And I don't even know why they switched to a DX12 renderer. No RT or DLSS. They probably figured shader compilation stutters are a trend now and wanted to be with the cool crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back