Cuphead. Classic cartoons; [XO, XOX, XPA, PC, NX, PS4]

Ehh, this sections look pretty basic to me.
I'm viewing it from a general consumer perspective. If you watch lots of different people playing games, you get a better idea for what's 'difficult'. I know plenty of people who'd struggle like Dean did. It does seem odd for a seasoned veteran gamer, but then I've seen seasoned gamers go to pieces on a touch screen because they approach it with a different mindset. Cuphead is a very different game to the usual games Dean plays.

I know I may sound insensitive or an ass to saying this, but this generation of gamers, too many folks are just not equipped anymore, too much low skill gaming or games have been completely noobified for mainstream play.
Yes, I agree. Back in the day, games were HARD and that's where you got your longevity, because the game that could be completed in 20 minutes end to end took weeks to learn to beat. Why did we persist? Because there was no alternative! Now there's tens if not hundreds of millions of gamers, and plenty of the old guard who grew up with stupidly hard games now haven't the time to spend on challenging titles, not to mention their skills are rusty, and thousands of games to choose from. Why spend half an hour and ten bucks on a game that'll be frustrating and have you throwing your controller at the wall when you could spend ten bucks on a game that's more satisfying based on your current skill-set?

It's the relentless march of change, I'm afraid. The solution is to come up with designs that scale and adapt accordingly. Cuphead could be given fixed encounters for noobs and respawning encounters for vets, for example. Every play through by the noob, they'd learn the next step on the list of instructions, get a sense of progress, and be comfortable. Over time they'd develop a better skill set that could adapt to the game 'proper'. Or, have devs that target a niche, like Dark Souls. If you're lucky, the difficult might hit cultural resonance and you get lots of sales because of the difficulty. But that's luck and something you can't rely on. I've seen a fair few mobile titles marketed as 'the hardest game in the world' hoping to reproduce the odd success of Flappy Bird, to no avail.

With the difficulty in art production, I wonder if we'll ever see anything like this again. It doesn't lend itself well to modern monetization schemes. It'd have been fun to see alternate costumes.

For instance, a sippy cup lid that appears if you're playing easy (togglable). ;)

Or borrow certain Microsoft characters with heads redrawn in the cartoon style. There's a flying segment that could have replaced the plane with the Halo covenant banshee.

Things like that.

I imagine it's a once off, which is a shame as it looks amazeballs. But it also might be better experienced as a YouTubed game than played. The low framerate isn't great for an action game and the art style doesn't naturally aid the game type. A slower RPG type thing would be better for the art style, I think. Something that gives you more time to appreciate it all.

Yeah :( I'm sure they could come up with little mini-games too. Multiplayer idea - instead of killing each other, shoot water hose at eachother to fill each other's cup. xD

Yes, I agree. Back in the day, games were HARD and that's where you got your longevity, because the game that could be completed in 20 minutes end to end took weeks to learn to beat. Why did we persist? Because there was no alternative!
Yea, I think it's the nature of human laziness. When we were forced to persist, and win, it was greatly rewarding. If we could find a simpler easier way to get passed it, we would use that. It's why cheat codes and secrets were the rage back in the day, these little things helped make the game easier, bypassing certain sections, or providing items that would greatly assist in doing the next one. Although there are lots of examples that comes to mind, the best example imo is Mario 3. Final world, there is the tank, boat, and air ship levels. And it's was just platforming hell of tons of stuff flying at you. With the ship one, most folks opted to swim underneath. With the airship, most folks opted to use 'P Wings' to fly over the stage. Leaving everyone sort of forced to do the tank one normally, but it was also the easiest.

When you think about it though, the tank and airship levels aren't that much different, but if it was available, a lot of people just skipped the level entirely. I don't think it was necessarily that much harder, just folks saw the easy way to pass it and took it.

Modern gaming is a little like that I guess, people are more interested in progression and story than they are in actual gameplay loops. It's why we've seen the massive rise of these loot grinding games, people feel like loot makes them a better player, when it hasn't.

I imagine it's a once off, which is a shame as it looks amazeballs. But it also might be better experienced as a YouTubed game than played. The low framerate isn't great for an action game and the art style doesn't naturally aid the game type. A slower RPG type thing would be better for the art style, I think. Something that gives you more time to appreciate it all.
I don't think the actual gameplay is at 24fps, just the sprite animations. The drawings update at 24fpa, but their positions do at 60. I don't know for sure though.

Ehh, this sections look pretty basic to me. With the amount of game time this journalist Had, my buddy and I managed to complete 4 bosses, with one just out of reach. These journalists, all they needed to do was hold RB as per the tutorial to hold position and fire in any direction.

I dunno, I feel like I could take these journalist and go back to Super C on Nintendo and then would fail just as hard there as well.

I know I may sound insensitive or an ass to saying this, but this generation of gamers, too many folks are just not equipped anymore, too much low skill gaming or games have been completely noobified for mainstream play. I'm not even getting into the MP aspect of it. I get some people just don't like getting owned all day by other people.

But this, this is just baffling.
So how is the game overall ? Compared to Ghouls'n ghosts and Contra 3 (or similar games) ? Give us your review !

So how is the game overall ? Compared to Ghouls'n ghosts and Contra 3 (or similar games) ? Give us your review !
I played it at Toronto x15, I didn't realize the company that makes Cuphead is from the greater toronto area. That being said, it was a ton of fun. It was hard, yes, but I suspect most people will be able to clear this title just fine.

It's not like those space games where you have to dodge 1 million bullets and there is 1 place to stand to be safe. It's pretty much like Contra in which the enemies will give you a hint of what's coming and you react accordingly. The mechanics in this game are nice and more advanced compared to what was needed from the G&G and Contra style games, like the jumping on the pink dots bit. That stuff is like ace when you get it, but there is a boss that requires you to nail the pink hits in order to survive, and without a enough practice that one can be a bit of a progress blocker. But all the bosses require all of your skills, the air dash, the 'RB' hold to shoot, the duck shooting, weapon swaps. It's pretty neat how they worked on making players use all of their abilities and the boss battles are a lot of fun.

From what I can see of the platforming aspects, it looks pretty straight forward.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, I think everyone should play it on whatever platform they can get it on. I have it pre-ordered, and I'll always support Canadian games, especially those made in my home town, but this one is actually pretty special and fun. I like it more than most schmups I've played, and it's quite cute heh. The characters have so ... 'animated'. Like duh, lol. But really, you can see their facial expressions change etc, it's so cool.

This was more fun and interesting than 'Below' that I've played (also looking forward to that). I'd say game of the show there. I've also got their pins! also cool! I hope they release more merchandise.

It's not like those space games where you have to dodge 1 million bullets and there is 1 place to stand to be safe.
That's one of the great changes I've noticed. These days you invariably have health and can take quite a few hits before you die. I was so proud of completing R-Type twice through - the second time there was loads on screen to avoid. I despise the Bullet Storm type overkill that's taken over, to the point I can't see anything going on! I noticed my persistent smoke was occluding too much when a ship was blown up, so I've toned it down to ensure visibility. The big sprites in this seem pretty visible and obvious which is very good.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, I think everyone should play it on whatever platform they can get it on. I have it pre-ordered, and I'll always support Canadian games, especially those made in my home town, but this one is actually pretty special and fun. I like it more than most schmups I've played, and it's quite cute heh. The characters have so ... 'animated'. Like duh, lol. But really, you can see their facial expressions change etc, it's so cool.

This was more fun and interesting than 'Below' that I've played (also looking forward to that). I'd say game of the show there. I've also got their pins! also cool! I hope they release more merchandise.
Yeah, loads of merch options and well deserved!

That's one of the great changes I've noticed. These days you invariably have health and can take quite a few hits before you die. I was so proud of completing R-Type twice through - the second time there was loads on screen to avoid. I despise the Bullet Storm type overkill that's taken over, to the point I can't see anything going on! I noticed my persistent smoke was occluding too much when a ship was blown up, so I've toned it down to ensure visibility. The big sprites in this seem pretty visible and obvious which is very good.

Yeah, loads of merch options and well deserved!

Have you ever played the vertical shooter Zanac on the NES?

Please pardon the derail....

Never heard of it. So imagine my surprise when I watched a video & found it was made by the same team that made Guardian Legend. Loved that game.

Back to Cuphead. Showed my brother-in-law the game & he was amazed. He definitely wants it too, just for the artwork.

Tommy McClain

Please pardon the derail....
I didn't watch to the end but I have this feeling it ends like Silpheed. Where it just gets impossible.

Silpheed, oh man so many memories, the only game I wanted a shittier PC to play on because I had no other possible way to deal with so much stuff on the screen so fast.

I do love the graphics, but man I loath platformers with a passion. Talking about hard games, Me spending many hours to beat 'manic miner' back when it came out, killed this genre forever

To me this is a game that is going to push the medium further. Future developers will target the amazing work and find new and easier ways to achieve it with less time and power opening the doors to even newer possibilities.

This is almost already a masterpiece.

I just received email from Newegg with the digital code and redeemed it. The game is 11.07 GB. I'm only 25% done loading.

Just my luck that I pass the first boss perfectly and it crashed just before the result screen appeared. It did save though, so... something funky happened. Also... the first time I played it didn't save any progress when I quit directly to desktop. Not sure if that's a bug or something (I had already completed a Run & Gun and Boss Rush, and those weren't saved).

I just received email from Newegg with the digital code and redeemed it. The game is 11.07 GB. I'm only 25% done loading.
afaik the game is only available in digital format, but for those who want something physical, Game stores have a card with the code of the game. It comes out for Steam, Windows 10, XB1 and GOG. I think I am going to get the GoG version in the future.

Back