Cuphead. Classic cartoons; [XO, XOX, XPA, PC, NX, PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cyan, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game shows dreamy graphics like the Disney classic cartoons.

The game is confirmed for PC and Xbox One and the release date is some day in 2015. (I don't know, tbh, sorry, it's 2015).

They want to make a Master System version, and the PS4 version is very likely to happen:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/16/cartoonish-cuphead-fills-up-on-new-trailer-has-hopes-for-master/

The developers also praised the ID@Xbox program.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116279306&postcount=307

#1 Cyan, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I so want this

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

Agreed. The concept of the game seems kind of weird, but I'm going to buy it just to support the amazing artwork. Even if the game is shit, I have a weird feeling I'll buy it to look at it, and I never buy games solely for graphics.

4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

They commented that working on the ID@Xbox program was perfect for them, and complain about things like the App store, so they hope that Sony and Microsoft promote a quality standard. Still, I have mixed feelings on this. The XNA store on the X360 had a LOT of crap, but some games were decent for 1€ or 2€.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/work...erfect_according_to_xbox_one_indie_dev_2.html

5. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

It's already happening with ID@Xbox games if you seen any list of games or developers. It's not a free for all like it was on XBLIG. Personally I'd like to have curated store like we're seeing now, but also a free for all too. There's something about being able to check every day to see what new & crazy game idea comes out. Not sure if a repeat of XBLIG(where developers only had a say if it met technical/not quality requirements) is what I'm looking for, but something where the public have more of a say in what comes out would be great. I guess something more like the now defunct Steam Greenlight service. I'm just not sure I trust Microsoft to be good at curating the best indie titles.

Tommy McClain

6. Ruiadas

Newcomer

I am intrigued by the look of this game. This might be one of the very few indie platformers I buy.

I finished reading Jim Henson’s biography recently and it is interesting seeing the juxtaposition between him and comments like this (which are typical sentiment of indie developers). Henson loved the ‘Old Hollywood’ style and tried to bring that element to a lot of his movies but for him it was a lot more about the spirit of what the old Hollywood movies were than replicating their physical characteristics. As a content creator he was constantly pushing the technology and art of puppetry forward in every way he could while focusing more on the spirit of what made the classic Hollywood films great (big musical numbers, larger than life characters, grand adventure). It seems like so many of these indie developers look backwards and try and place these artificial technical restrictions on their projects as if they were still in school trying to impress a professor rather than creating something of their own. I think the distance I feel towards most indie games is for this reason, it is like paying homage to NES platformers means you have to use adopt the limitations of the NES system.

In Cuphead I think this will come out in the same way, they will adopt everything about classic cartoons as if Walt Disney would approach his craft exactly the same way with modern technology (saloon piano music in the background, wiz-bang-kapow sound effects, etc). I’m not saying that won’t be enjoyable, I just think there is a smarter way to go about these things than wholesale coping a period’s style because with access to better technology the period’s defining creators wouldn’t have made the same decisions.

7. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Actually, believe it or not I commented yesterday to friend on youtube something similar.

Classic games are being more and more respected and loved as time goes on, just like the classic Hollywood movies from the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36xzveS06s

8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Cooperative gameplay against bosses in Cuphead.

9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Not my type of game but there's no denying they nailed the graphical look. Brilliant!

Cyan and milk like this.
  10. BadTB25

Veteran

Gameplay is growing on me.

Cyan likes this.
  11. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

I think this game looks amazing. Gutted it's not coming to PS4

Cyan likes this.
  12. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Tommy McClain

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

really excited for this , I also hope that below makes a comeback with a release date

14. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I got to try this at an Xbox experience event. Easily the best of show for me. I kept going back to play it. Tons of fun coop especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arwin likes this.
  15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

One of the games I've been really looking forward to ever since I first saw a teaser during E3 at the XBO launch.

Below was shown at PAX.

It looks like it's going to be a quite good Souls-Like game.

Regards,
    SB

16. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Such great news. My interest in this has now spiked. Ever since I had seen super mario world, or maybe even earlier, I had thought "this looks sort of like a golden era cartoon, if just a bit too computery and synthetic" i wondered when would come the time when something indistinguishable from an actual animated movie of that style would come out. Finally I've got closure!

bunge likes this.
  17. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

The detail and image quality is beautiful...

18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

At e3 conference cuphead was shown and it had the play anywhere image. So I guess its coming to pc also

Scott_Arm likes this.
  19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Developers weren't shy about saying it was coming to PC for quite a while now (https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/04/1930s-cartoon-inspired-cuphead-targeting-late-2014-launch-on-pc/ ). It was always going to be a XBO/PC release. Unfortunately, they are a bit late. :) I think that's partially because Microsoft jumped in and poured a lot more development budget into the game. Hence there's more platforming in the game now than there was originally going to be.

Regards,
    SB

20. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Cuphead featured on Conan's show. Kate Upton also plays Cuphead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RootKit, BRiT and Nesh like this.