Cuphead. Classic cartoons; [XO, XOX, XPA, PC, NX, PS4]

Cuphead is amazing guys. Feels great, great controls. I really recommend it, I think it puts a smile on most peoples faces. I spent a lot of time at their booth in 2015, sadly, for reason all the other games had the attention, like the Division etc. But this game is truly special imo.

How's the difficulty?

MS should have gotten them to add caricatures of Marcus & Dom and Spartans. ooooor...... duke controller or sidewinder heads

Last edited:
How's the difficulty?

MS should have gotten them to add caricatures of Marcus & Dom and Spartans. ooooor...... duke controller or sidewinder heads
good amount of challenge for the bosses. We didn't manage to beat them all, but when we did beat them, it felt good.

I'm feeling lazy right now, so what's the price of this gem?

Anyone have any idea on how they handle pre-orders with digital codes? Do they hold out until the game is available to send the code or can they send it immediately once the order is processed?

EDIT @2017-09-28: Newegg processed the preorder, charged the card, then sent an email with the digital code that is redeemable on the Xbox website. The game is downloading on the console now.

Last edited:
Neat post describing how they went about difficulty:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247737428&postcount=69
Teeth said:
So...to get into some inside baseball here, this is sort of what happened while balancing the game.

1) We made up some patterns/attacks/etc and balanced the game how we liked it. Challenging, but not impossible.

2) People outside of the dev team started playtesting it and the common consensus was: "this is the hardest game we've ever played". Like, "i'm dying 30 times on the first phase of the first boss" type of hard.

3) We didn't really want to make a game that so hard that NO ONE could enjoy it but the best of the best, so the idea was to keep that difficulty as "expert" and then tone down the bosses for an easier mode we would call "Normal". Because of the way Cuphead is designed, (discrete health, multiple boss phases with pattern timing and sequencing) we couldn't just give the bosses more health and do more damage. That would just make the bosses take longer, not actually be harder (think of something like a Mario level with tough jumps. You can't just give Mario more health to get past it, you have to redesign the jumps to be easier). So, we started clawing back some of the phases, changing the obstacle patterns, reducing the sequencing a bit, that sort of thing. We called this "Normal".

4) Well, people started playing Normal and said that it was still hard. But we didn't want to make Normal any easier. We were pretty convinced that any dedicated person could beat normal by paying attention and persevering. We had enough play testing to factor it being "Dark Souls"-hard or "Ori"-hard, once people got down the cadence of a run and gun game (which most people haven't played that much, so it takes a bit to get into -- hold that shoot button!). But, some people don't come to games to be challenged. Their base expectation is to be able to beat something their first try. Modern games have conditioned people to be that way and that's totally fine. It's just not the type of game we wanted to make. We also figured there would be people who would just want to take in the art or fiddle around. Phil Spencer himself said that it would be in our best interests to put in an Easy mode. So we did. It claws back even more boss attacks, slows down patterns, re-sequenced stuff again, and for most bosses, just chops off the end of the fight.

5) So all that is fine. But as we continued to refine, we found that we could fit ALL of the boss patterns into Normal with some tweaks. So we did. Because honestly, as a dev, you kind of want people to see your stuff. You want people to play the breadth of the content you created for your game, you don't just want to relegate so much of it to the best of the best. We also know that something like 95% of players play on Normal and that's it. So all of the attack animations (in the broadest sense) are in Normal now. They are retuned and re-timed to fit with that difficulty, but they are all there and are fun. It did make the game a hint harder (and we re-sorted the boss order so the harder ones are nearer the end), but we feel it's worth it.

6) So in the most explicit sense, Expert mode bosses no longer have "new" attacks. But they are differently sequenced, sped, timed, and bullet patterns are different. In general, on Expert, there are more things to keep track of simultaneously.

Being successful at Cuphead comes down to...well, it follows similarly to kinda playing fighting games. It's about reducing your mental stack. Most people when they first play are just OVERWHELMED with what's happening and they panic. But your actual decision matrix can be reduced a ton with some on the fly thinking.

Cuphead was made to be reaction based rather than memory based. Aside from knowing the general form of attacks and what they look like, there's not a whole lot to memorize. It's not bullet hell, where you find the "safe spots" and weave your way through an impossible maze of bullets out of attrition. There's too much player-targeted and random-sequenced attacks for that (though I'm sure there'll be speed runners who will find that stuff eventually).

Anyway, I'm interested to see how it goes when it gets into a lot of people's hands.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247259324&postcount=252

Teeth said:
Think of each boss like a Super Meat Boy level. You get unlimited tries at it, but there are no mid-fight checkpoints. Once you've beaten a boss/level, it stays beaten but you can go back in and try to get better rankings.

It's "accessible" in the modern sense of not being punitive, but most of the feedback we've gotten so far is that it's super super hard, even on easy. We're looking into making Easy easier, but Normal and Expert will likely stay pretty challenging.

Also game install size:
Teeth said:
Right now, it's around 10GB, but it may get a bit bigger by launch. Gotta get those extra frames in.

People outside of the dev team started playtesting it and the common consensus was: "this is the hardest game we've ever played".
This is always the way. As a dev who's been playing the game constantly through it's development, you approach it as a leet player. Of every game I've made that I've balanced to be easy enough for me, new players have found cripplingly hard. The difficulty target for devs is 'so flippin' easy it's boring as lettuce' for people's first experience. The important thing is to have enough reward and success on first playing that players aren't immediately turned off, which is very easy to do when there are forty-two trillion other games all competing for attention. Then wind up the difficulty to provide a decent game. ;)

Some bits about animation frames:

1) Marionetting - this is where animation is made out of single still frames that are cut up into pieces along the joints (elbows, shoulders, etc). Those still pictures (or "bones") are moved around by the engine. This gives a VERY "flash" look, as the character looks like a marionette that is being jangled around rather than being animated.

2) Morphmation - this is animation that is done by taking a still frame and then warping (stretching, expanding, shrinking) that image to infer motion. It is also usually done in engine, rather than frame by frame. This is often used for "breathing" animations on figures, as you can just expand and deflate the stomachs or squash and stretch the still frame without having to redraw it.

The above two styles are used often for a number of reasons:
1) It's cheaper because you only have to do a couple of drawings and then manipulate them in engine
2) It can operate at any framerate, because the animation is just moving still images around the screen
3)You can have extremely detailed art assets, because they only have to be drawn a couple of times.
4) Editing animations is very easy and doesn't require any re-drawing, so tweaking timings and motions is a breeze.
5) You can create tons of variation without having to draw a billion things. For a different sword, you just draw the sword once, then manipulate it in space, no need to draw every frame in the animation again.

Then, there's traditional animation. Which is literally just drawing every single frame of an animation. Classic animation stems from cinema, so the standard was in 24frame per second. Most American animation is done on 'twos', which means that there are 12 frames of animation per second (each frame is held for two visual beats). Most cheap Japanese animation is done on 'threes' (where every frame is held for three visual beats). There's variation, of course, as fast motion requires ones or twos, and very slow motion can be on threes or worse to save money/time.

But back in the 30s, animation all was done on 'ones'...which is literally drawing a new frame for every single visual beat. 24 full fat frames per second. So that's what we did and it goes a long way to why the game looks the way it does. It also means that it takes twice or three times as long as normal animation. We're over 50,000 frames at this point.

---

As noted above, we're on ones, so it's 24fps of unique animations. Though, if I'm being honest (and don't tell anyone), we've had to cheat for gameplay purposes on some animations...we occasionally run up to 40fps of unique animations to get the timings correct.

50,000 frames. :eek:

Wonder how big the game is (# of levels).

This is always the way. As a dev who's been playing the game constantly through it's development, you approach it as a leet player. Of every game I've made that I've balanced to be easy enough for me, new players have found cripplingly hard. The difficulty target for devs is 'so flippin' easy it's boring as lettuce' for people's first experience. The important thing is to have enough reward and success on first playing that players aren't immediately turned off, which is very easy to do when there are forty-two trillion other games all competing for attention. Then wind up the difficulty to provide a decent game. ;)

mmhm.

So the game just has a countdown for number of hits before you die and restart the level. Why can't easy mode just give a lot bigger count? Maybe tweak the bullet damage with something nutty like 25% boost (4 shots instead of 5 shots to kill something). I don't know what existing reward system they have in place though. I kind of just want to enjoy the art.

---

It's funny reading some tweets about how devs "cheat" in favour of the player regarding difficulty. I'm going back through Bioshock 2, coincidentally, and it's pretty obvious how damage is dealt & received; first shot received is always a miss, last bit of health is non-linear in the health bar (that has saved me a lot of times actually).

I did somewhat notice some other funny things like in Gears of War how emptying the entire clip of lancer ammo was faster than reloading halfway to take down certain enemies - from what I understand, the last shot in the clip does some higher damage to elicit a certain feeling of "just" being able to take the enemy down. In Horde in Gears 4 there's even a card ability that progressively increases the damage of each pistol shot in a clip.

Last edited:
This game really needs to be output at 1080p24. It'd look a trillion times smoother. Will XBOX support 24 fps output? They could always go with 48Hz on Freesync, I guess.

So the game just has a countdown for number of hits before you die and restart the level. Why can't easy mode just give a lot bigger count?
With something like boss patterns, you have to give the player time to learn them and the counters. My observations are that people are unwilling to learn anything new at first. You put a game in front of them and they try to play it their way and if it doesn't work, they give up. I think this is a new mindset coming from the fact that software is more adaptive to users than ever before, so users are being trained to expect everything to work without effort, and it'll only get worse as interfaces get smarter.

A classic case of not following the information right in front of one's eyes. I've removed most of text instructions to replace them with video clips.

Just providing more health or firepower isn't enough in this game as there'll be jumps and coordination and all sorts. Having infinite lives but being able to make a decent timed jump is still going to result in frustration.

It's funny reading some tweets about how devs "cheat" in favour of the player regarding difficulty. I'm going back through Bioshock 2, coincidentally, and it's pretty obvious how damage is dealt & received; first shot received is always a miss, last bit of health is non-linear in the health bar (that has saved me a lot of times actually).

I did somewhat notice some other funny things like in Gears of War how emptying the entire clip of lancer ammo was faster than reloading halfway to take down certain enemies - from what I understand, the last shot in the clip does some higher damage to elicit a certain feeling of "just" being able to take the enemy down. In Horde in Gears 4 there's even a card ability that progressively increases the damage of each pistol shot in a clip.
Absolutely. At the end of the day the game is there to be 'fun'. It's all smoke and mirrors to give a sense of satisfaction. Being able to script in those 'only just' moments of satisfaction is a great way to make your players happy, which is what we all want! I might actually factor that into ionAXXIA, giving a damage boost when the clocks running out of time and health is low...

Oh wow that was so painful to watch. I was like... really ?

There's a longer video of him trying to play the first level. It's even more painful. It's 27 minutes of hell. The average time between "You Died" sequence is perhaps 6 seconds.

There's a longer video of him trying to play the first level. It's even more painful. It's 27 minutes of hell. The average time between "You Died" sequence is perhaps 6 seconds.
LOL hahha. Oh man. it was so infuriating, I was yelling at my phone.

Looks hard, like Ghosts and Goblins. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you limit your audience to a certain type of gamer. Pleased to see fast restart times as that's essential!
Ehh, this sections look pretty basic to me. With the amount of game time this journalist Had, my buddy and I managed to complete 4 bosses, with one just out of reach. These journalists, all they needed to do was hold RB as per the tutorial to hold position and fire in any direction.

I dunno, I feel like I could take these journalist and go back to Super C on Nintendo and then would fail just as hard there as well.

I know I may sound insensitive or an ass to saying this, but this generation of gamers, too many folks are just not equipped anymore, too much low skill gaming or games have been completely noobified for mainstream play. I'm not even getting into the MP aspect of it. I get some people just don't like getting owned all day by other people.

But this, this is just baffling.

Back