CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

As of the time of this post, in the US, Nowinstock has the following models listed as in stock for consumer cards from the 1050ti & 560 at the low end to the 1080ti at the high end.

0 X 1050ti
1 X 560 @ $134.99
1 X 570 @ $499.99
2 X 1060 @ $379 & $399
0 X 580
1 X 1070 @ $599
0 X Vega56
0 X 1080
0 X Vega64
0 X 1080ti

We've been looking at it the wrong way people.

The grapic cards are the actual subject of the pump & dump. It's all about how long can we hold on to our cards..

Mining greed is basically killing PC gaming. I stopped buying any new games or playing anything with high-end graphics as I've been waiting to buy a new GPU to go with the rest of my upgrade. This continues through 2018 I might as well buy an X1X.

Consoles might not be free from the mining craze.

The PS4 is probably the cheapest potential miner that is currently sitting in shelves.

I have absolutely no idea how this is going to end.

Consoles might not be free from the mining craze.

The PS4 is probably the cheapest potential miner that is currently sitting in shelves.

I have absolutely no idea how this is going to end.

Wouldnt it be cheaper for Xbox One S running a CryptoMining UWP application?

AFAIK, you'd need Microsoft approval to get a mining app in their store.

Plus, mining performance is greatly dependent on high bandwidth, which the Xbone S doesn't have.
I mean maybe cryptonight could use the CPU cores together with the eDRAM, but the 64MB aren't enough for GPU mining (needs lots of memory for many hashing tasks in parallel AFAIK).

Comes down to whether that gpu is energy efficient. I mined ETH on a couple GTX 680s, but it was barely profitable and I have reasonably cheap electric ($0.105/kWh).

AFAIK, you'd need Microsoft approval to get a mining app in their store.

Which is why I was thinking each person would simply register for indie developer sdk for $100 and flip their console from official dashboard to developer dashboard and then be able to run their own programs. No need for official app through the store then.

And then MS can advertize "Platform with most games under development" ;)

(1000th post, yay :p . Too bad there is no counter for useful (or at least funny) posts)

Comes down to whether that gpu is energy efficient. I mined ETH on a couple GTX 680s, but it was barely profitable and I have reasonably cheap electric ($0.105/kWh).
Isn't Kepler more profitable for XMR?

Which is why I was thinking each person would simply register for indie developer sdk for $100 and flip their console from official dashboard to developer dashboard and then be able to run their own programs. No need for official app through the store then.

$240 + $100 to mine something that may not even bring a profit at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm keeping mine for two reasons:
1. I have FreeSync monitor!
2. At this rate of price increase for Vega, soon my card will be worth more in weight than gold :D

At this point in time I am sure the next time "cheap" GPUs can be had is when they release a new generation, be it nVIDIA or AMD. We could actually get RX VEGA 56 / 64 at MSRP shortly after launch.

If you got them for $399 you could probably sell them for twice that right now heh.

At this point in time I am sure the next time "cheap" GPUs can be had is when they release a new generation, be it nVIDIA or AMD. We could actually get RX VEGA 56 / 64 at MSRP shortly after launch.

If you got them for $399 you could probably sell them for twice that right now heh.

I've paid £389 including taxes which was launch MSRP in UK, really happy about that as I was contemplating not upgrading from Fury!
Today, I should get easy £750 on ebay and keep my after-market VGA Cooler or sell the set for £800+.
But as I said, I've got nice IPS 144Hz Freesync monitor so moving to GeForce 1080 Ti would be a bit of a sidegrade. If nVidia enabled AdaptiveSync on their GPUs I would now be running their GPU with some money in my pocket, but instead I play and mine on my VEGA :)

Back