Could it be...the resurrection of OLED ?!

I agree. I think 2000 - 2500 euros for a flat 55+ tv would be a pretty good deal. 55+ are the top end of the market so lets keep realistic and remind ourselves LG and whoever else buys there panels is probably going to charge a premium for them. Current high end LCD tv's are priced similar.

Actually 55" is moving into the mid-range/upper midrange. Virtually any audio/visual enthusiast I talk to won't even consider anything smaller than 65" and most seem to want something 70" or higher. Prices of 55" are also dropping quite rapidly (many quality sets are now available in sub 1000 USD range). 65" is the new 55", basically where 55" was about 3-4 years ago.

And dang, 55" 4k OLED TVs (both curved and flat) can now be had for under 3,000 USD. I would not be surprised if they end up being on sale for ~2,500 USD either during Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or after Christmas sales.

Regards,
SB

Oh wow, I just noticed that some retailers are including a Free 49" 4K LG SmartTV with the purchase of a LG OLED 4K TV. :oops:

Regards,
SB

Damn. LG are hoping to launch this for Q4 2016.

A 1mm thick OLED 4K HDR TV which weighs just a bit over 2 Kg which is mounted to the wall using magnets.

I'm guessing it will probably be delayed, but damn, I want one.

Regards,
SB

Damn. LG are hoping to launch this for Q4 2016.
I hope they don't. Sounds completely useless, overly expensive, extremely fragile and gimmicky tbh. Thinner != better.

Btw, there's nothing more detestable than loose power bricks/electronics boxes lying around collecting dust and being generally annoying and useless, because of course none of that is going to fit in a display that is 1mm thick.

For a TV like that you could build an alcove in your wall with power/network/antenna drops to house that stuff which the TV completely covers.

Hell, as long as you use radio wave remotes (not IR) then you could also house your receiver/amp/cable box/HTPC/consoles in the alcove. Assuming it's properly ventilated that is. A home entertainment center where nothing but the TV is visible. And if it's a custom alcove, you can make it flush with the wall.

Sure you could do that with existing TVs as well, but with this being magnetically attached and so light, you also have extremely easy access to everything in the alcove.

Regards,
SB

And it starts...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9923/dell-demonstrates-30inch-4k-oled-display

Only targeted at Professionals for now (similar to the first 30" 1600p monitors) but it's a start. :) Still I wasn't seriously expecting anyone to release an OLED PC display for at least another year at the soonest. So this was quite a surprise to me.

It's a shame it isn't an LG or Samsung display. It would also feature Adaptive-Sync if that was the case.

Maybe in 1-2 years we'll start to see Korean 2nd tier monitor makers start to produce monitors using A-/B grade LG OLED panels to make PC monitors.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Whoa, been a while since there's been a post here, but I just had to make a post after seeing an advertisement during the NCAA basketball tournament for the LG Wallpaper OLED TV.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/lg-w7-series-4k-oled-tv-review

Looks like it finally made it to market. It's actually cheaper (though not cheap) than I expected it to be. Amazing. Although I'm not a fan of that big sound bar that is included which contain all the inputs, processing board, etc.

Nice to see that it isn't just the looks of the design that they are selling. There's been significant improvements in the actual OLED implementation over last year's OLED panels.

Still, I love that actual TV design.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
It appears Dell is finally launching their 30" OLED monitor aimed at professional users.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11272/dells-ultrasharp-30inch-4k-oled-now-on-sale-up3017q-for-3500

Originally slated to have a 4,999 USD price tag, it will instead be launching with a 3,499 USD price tag. Still extremely expensive but certainly more reasonable. It's currently available for pre-order at their store.

For comparison early 30" LCD displays were in excess of 3000 USD. For example the first 30" Apple Cinema HD display retailed for 3,299 USD (https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/06/28Apple-Unveils-30-Cinema-HD-Flat-Display.html).

Considering adjustments for inflation this seems quite reasonable for the introduction of new display technology aimed at professional users. While exceedingly tempting, I think I'm going to hold off on this and see how it holds up over time once people have their hands on it.

Hopefully Anandtech can get one in for review.

Regards,
SB

Considering good (not great) 32" LCDs with 4k resolution are going for under a kilobuck, OLED is definitely going to be niche a bit longer.

Back