Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RDGoodla, Feb 4, 2020.

1. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Yeah, I once heard that if you take all the major veins and arteries from a person's body and stretch them out in a single line, that person dies instantly.

pharma, Lightman and digitalwanderer like this.
  2. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

But hasn't Al Bundy said it's enough for the brain to stay moist?

Lightman and digitalwanderer like this.
  3. Mariner

Veteran

So, the MHRA has recommended that under-30s in the UK should be offered a vaccine other than the AZ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517

The rare blood clots (not just CVST), are occurring at a rate around 4 per million considering the 20 million doses given so far. 19 deaths out of 79 cases, two thirds of which were in women. Roughly the same ratio as seen in the EU cases reported. It seems likely that the prevalence will be higher in younger people, hence the recommendation about the use of different vaccines for under-30s. The EMA, on the other hand, is recommending all age groups continue to receive the vaccine, which is probably a reflection of the high infection rates in most EU countries at present.

I wonder if they'll be able to work out what is causing this - just an immune system over-reaction amongst some people, perhaps? I wonder how many of those who have suffered from these clots are already sero-positive for Covid?

Lightman and milk like this.
  4. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

It has been clear for several weeks already, hasn't it? It is an autoimmune reaction as expected, and intravenous immunoglobulin is an effective treatment (as in most autoimmune conditions).

Diagnosis and treatment guidelines from Germany:
    https://gth-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/GTH_Stellungnahme_AstraZeneca_engl._3_22_2021.pdf

milk likes this.
  5. green.pixel

Veteran

6. Mariner

Veteran

My point about seropositive individuals was thinking about whether that might be the risk factor for the clotting episodes. We've heard from Europe that the issue occurred in nurses and teachers who would be more likely to have caught Covid in the past. It might perhaps be that seropositive people are more likely to have an auto-immune response to this vaccine.

There is apparently evidence that thrombocytopenia can occur with other adenovirus vector vaccines so I'd imagine the authorities will be keeping a look out for similar potential issues with the J&J and perhaps the Sputnik vaccines.

7. Mariner

Veteran

Yes, having an injection often gives you a sore arm. I had the flu jab last year and it was sore for a few days, to the extent that I couldn't sleep on that side. No biggie, though.

I think the thing with the Moderna one is that it can cause hives with the second dose and there have also been reports of swelling in the lymph nodes under the armpit! Would tend to indicate a strong immune response.

The Pfizer vaccine is associated with an increased risk of Bell's Palsy (still slim). Is it the same case with the Moderna mRNA vaccine? If so, we'd perhaps expect to see the same when the CureVac vaccine eventually becomes available?

pharma likes this.
  8. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

WTF is this serious reporting, it reads exactly like one of those click through websites

click for more (page 2)

page 2: Yes have all had those painful jabs, but what happens with modern may surprise you, we are gonna tell you about it right now
    click for more (page 3)

page 3: but before we tell you we will first tell you about the history of vaccines, way back in the middle ages ppl used to rub diseased animals on themselves ......

page 18: ok with moderna your arm will be sore afterwards

tinokun, milk and pharma like this.
  9. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

Err, the site is "bestlifeonline.com"

10. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Yes with a title like that it must be a valued as the ancient journals nature and science right?

Sorry my bad

11. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

Inhaled budesonide in the treatment of early COVID-19 (STOIC): a phase 2, open-label, randomised controlled trial - The Lancet Respiratory Medicine