Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

OK thanks mate, though I assume by not touching a blood vessel, you mean a major one. As apparently theres 160,000km of them in a human body, so good luck avoiding those :D

9i-v6RdIzdvjwX8gv12Ak8kLByLGxndEA1g_u2gkZOw.jpg

Wow, I had no idea (The aorta is massive), though of course it makes sense, you cut yourself, you bleed, thus the blood has to come from somewhere.

Apparently this model was made by injected a body with some gunk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastination and then having it harden, seems a bit unbelievable that it works this well. Btw you too can donate your body to von hagenstein and let him work his magic on it once you're gone.

Yeah, I once heard that if you take all the major veins and arteries from a person's body and stretch them out in a single line, that person dies instantly.

So, the MHRA has recommended that under-30s in the UK should be offered a vaccine other than the AZ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517

The rare blood clots (not just CVST), are occurring at a rate around 4 per million considering the 20 million doses given so far. 19 deaths out of 79 cases, two thirds of which were in women. Roughly the same ratio as seen in the EU cases reported. It seems likely that the prevalence will be higher in younger people, hence the recommendation about the use of different vaccines for under-30s. The EMA, on the other hand, is recommending all age groups continue to receive the vaccine, which is probably a reflection of the high infection rates in most EU countries at present.

I wonder if they'll be able to work out what is causing this - just an immune system over-reaction amongst some people, perhaps? I wonder how many of those who have suffered from these clots are already sero-positive for Covid?

I wonder if they'll be able to work out what is causing this - just an immune system over-reaction amongst some people, perhaps? I wonder how many of those who have suffered from these clots are already sero-positive for Covid?

It has been clear for several weeks already, hasn't it? It is an autoimmune reaction as expected, and intravenous immunoglobulin is an effective treatment (as in most autoimmune conditions).

Diagnosis and treatment guidelines from Germany:
https://gth-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/GTH_Stellungnahme_AstraZeneca_engl._3_22_2021.pdf

It has been clear for several weeks already, hasn't it? It is an autoimmune reaction as expected, and intravenous immunoglobulin is an effective treatment (as in most autoimmune conditions).

My point about seropositive individuals was thinking about whether that might be the risk factor for the clotting episodes. We've heard from Europe that the issue occurred in nurses and teachers who would be more likely to have caught Covid in the past. It might perhaps be that seropositive people are more likely to have an auto-immune response to this vaccine.

There is apparently evidence that thrombocytopenia can occur with other adenovirus vector vaccines so I'd imagine the authorities will be keeping a look out for similar potential issues with the J&J and perhaps the Sputnik vaccines.

Yes, having an injection often gives you a sore arm. I had the flu jab last year and it was sore for a few days, to the extent that I couldn't sleep on that side. No biggie, though.

I think the thing with the Moderna one is that it can cause hives with the second dose and there have also been reports of swelling in the lymph nodes under the armpit! Would tend to indicate a strong immune response.

The Pfizer vaccine is associated with an increased risk of Bell's Palsy (still slim). Is it the same case with the Moderna mRNA vaccine? If so, we'd perhaps expect to see the same when the CureVac vaccine eventually becomes available?

WTF is this serious reporting, it reads exactly like one of those click through websites

When you sit down for your COVID shot, you know there's a pretty good chance you'll experience some side effects, but minor discomfort is a small price to pay to keep you and your loved ones safe. Still, it's important to know what you're getting yourself into so you can be fully prepared. A recent study found that there was one side effect that was extremely common for people who received the Moderna vaccine, with 82 percent of recipients reporting the reaction after the second dose. To see which side effect you should expect from Moderna, read on, and for more on this shot,
click for more (page 2)

page 2: Yes have all had those painful jabs, but what happens with modern may surprise you, we are gonna tell you about it right now
click for more (page 3)

page 3: but before we tell you we will first tell you about the history of vaccines, way back in the middle ages ppl used to rub diseased animals on themselves ......

page 18: ok with moderna your arm will be sore afterwards

Inhaled budesonide in the treatment of early COVID-19 (STOIC): a phase 2, open-label, randomised controlled trial - The Lancet Respiratory Medicine

Multiple early reports of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 showed that patients with chronic respiratory disease were significantly under-represented in these cohorts. We hypothesised that the widespread use of inhaled glucocorticoids among these patients was responsible for this finding, and tested if inhaled glucocorticoids would be an effective treatment for early COVID-19.

More problems for adenovirus vector vaccines:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html

We'll have to see how the numbers compare to the AZ issues providing the J&J issue proves to be a similar effect.

Here's a useful rundown about risks by age for giving the AZ vaccine in comparison to the risks of harm from Covid:

https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.u...fits-and-harms-astra-zeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

Of course, this relies on the theory that the number of cases of these thrombosis events we've seen in younger vaccinees are an accurate representation of the risk in these age groups. Further data may skew matters somewhat.

6 cases out of ~6.8 million doses...for the J&J vaccine...all women, age 18-48 within 14 days after vaccination
Rare side effect so far IMHO.

From a quick calculation in my head, that rate is approximatgely a third of the rate of the cases for the AZ vaccine reported in Europe so yes, a rare side-effect. Well, it is exceptionally rare for both vaccines but a bit less common for J&J for what we've seen so far. We'll have to see how many more cases come up from the use of both vaccines. There will have been a lot of doses of the J&J vaccine administered in the US over the past couple of weeks, I'd imagine.

I've read elsewhere (don't have the link now), that thrombocytopenia has been seen in adenovirus vector vaccines in the past as well, so it seems to be par for the course. I'd imagine the Sputnik vaccine will probably suffer from the same issue as well.

1 in a million is a risk we take all the time. That is J&J for now. We'll see how it changes. The whole world needs these out now. Unless mRNA vaccines get cheaper and easier to handle we need the adenovirus vaccines

Back