Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

RDGoodla

Regular
I am looking at the effect of Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. This outbreak has already caused serious crisis in Hong Kong and China.

Furthermore Korea and Japan are also heavily threatened. Currently most news in Asia are focused on the serious outbreak.

I wonder if the promotion of new consoles and the supply chain will be affected.

I am looking at the effect of Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. This outbreak has already caused serious crisis in Hong Kong and China.

Furthermore Korea and Japan are also heavily threatened. Currently most news in Asia are focused on the serious outbreak.

I wonder if the promotion of new consoles and the supply chain will be affected.
If the virus moves into 1M+ cases; then I would agree with that. Even if fatality rate is low, you can't go to work for 14 days because of sickness is just going to stop factories across China.

If the virus moves into 1M+ cases; then I would agree with that. Even if fatality rate is low, you can't go to work for 14 days because of sickness is just going to stop factories across China.

Yeah, but that would have definitely been used as a legit reason on an investors call. They didn't and instead deflected the question with wanting to know the competition pricing before.. it sounded compromised by something they don't want to tell..

Component supply chain is affected. We are being told that our deliveries schedule for q2 is delayed by an unknown amount of time. Seems to mainly be due to the Chinese government extending chinese new year holiday by a week, for now. But there is uncertainty on when things will be back on track and when productions will start up again.
SFP productions seems to be more affected than mere consumer electronics stuff.

And now I saw this in Twitter

Tweet from @Cheesemeister3k:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's talk Coronavirus could delay/affect something next gen consoles now. Because of it's effect on China manufacturing etc etc.

I'm going to plug my ears and ignore that.

There's talk Coronavirus could delay/affect something next gen consoles now. Because of it's effect on China manufacturing etc etc.

I'm going to plug my ears and ignore that.
Both on production (much less on sales) point of view I think this one year delay is possible... will see in the next couple of weeks how the illness will develop. I'm sure both MS & Sony are carefully watching this situation...

People are dying and getting very sick. Infection from a virus which had previously not threatened humans has reached almost all continents in the space of a month.

New console launch rates pretty far down priority-wise, compared to a possible pandemic.

People are dying and getting very sick. Infection from a virus which had previously not threatened humans has reached almost all continents in the space of a month.

New console launch rates pretty far down priority-wise, compared to a possible pandemic.
AFAIK people aren't dying more of the Corona virus than they usually do from seasonal flu. I.e. the Corona virus seems to be killing the immunosuppressed (elders, patients with previous conditions, etc.) that were statistically likely to die from the flu.

The biggest difference with the Corona virus is that it's super contagious.

NothingToSeeHere_FrankDrebin.gif

I don't know if this was related to my post, but that's not at all what I meant.

The Corona virus isn't more likely to bring more deaths than the flu we get every year, so the yearly death toll from contagious diseases is unlikely to increase (just like it wasn't for the A-flu IIRC).

The problem with the Corona virus is that if one person in an office catches it, then the whole office is bound to get sick all at the same time as soon as the incubation period is over. The regular flu gets to people in a more sequential order.
This is what makes Corona more dangerous to productivity than the seasonal flu, but it doesn't bring more "sickness and death".

I don't know if this was related to my post, but that's not at all what I meant.

The Corona virus isn't more likely to bring more deaths than the flu we get every year, so the yearly death toll from contagious diseases is unlikely to increase (just like it wasn't for the A-flu IIRC).

The problem with the Corona virus is that if one person in an office catches it, then the whole office is bound to get sick all at the same time as soon as the incubation period is over. The regular flu gets to people in a more sequential order.
This is what makes Corona more dangerous to productivity than the seasonal flu, but it doesn't bring more "sickness and death".

I think the fears are more along that it spreads so fast that it increases the risk of virus mutations, making it possibly more deadly in the future.

Today I got an email from my vendor

This is mainly due to the fact the government postponed the return to the factory to 10th February. This is still a plan as the workers will turn back on 10th and will need to be quarantined for 14 days.

How this affect new XB and PS, who knows, but I would guess it could mean fewer devices available for launch.

It's ~2% mortality at the moment. That's way higher than typical flu.
The 2% number comes from dividing the number of deaths by the number of confirmed infections.
There's no way to know how exactly many infected there are. It's far easier to count number of deaths than number of infected (which should take at least a mouth swab plus laboratory testing).
There's also no way to know exactly how the infected in China are actually being treated (if at all).

From the 50 confirmed infected in Europe, not one person seems to have ever entered critical condition, nor the dozen infected people in the U.S. (EDIT: it seems there's a handful who did enter critical state).

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've been gathering, most of the infected patients in Shanghai got fully recovered as well. Compared to 9-20% mortality rate for SARS this looks tame. When can we expect the earliest vaccine?

It's ~2% mortality at the moment. That's way higher than typical flu.
Well there are reports of 15%... and a lot of people middle aged perfectly sane are dying... do you think if it was like a regular flu Chinese Government would have taken such drastic measures ? Of course not.

As off topic this is but just speculating on the highly insecure "statistics" in this case is just a sideshow.

Far more concerning is that a lot information indicate it's an engineered bio weapon with significant different death rates based on ethnic/gender and other strange aspects to it. The conclusion you can draw from this and how this will play out is far more concerning than premature death statistics.

From the 50 confirmed infected in Europe, not one person seems to have ever entered critical condition, nor the dozen infected people in the U.S.

The two in Italy (Chinese tourists) are... and they are in cure with the best treatments. Coming to the topic: yes some serious possibility of Console launch delay are there...

Offtopic:
You are assuming either are made in China. At one point it looked like massive 25% tariffs on goods from China for the US last year, so they may have already made plans to not use China at all.

Back