Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RDGoodla, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I have had my AstraZeneca first dose two weeks ago. 4 days of mild indisposition but otherwise fine.

Lightman, swaaye and BRiT like this.
  2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I’ve been seeing the same about 6 people for half a year, making music with two of them every weekend. Then almost 3 weeks ago just when I had a new friend over one of those two was asymptomatic and infected us. I have been really tired and had muscle aches since 2/3 days after infection and really tired, and am finally getting close to normal this weekend. The new friend only stopped having bouts of (occasionally high, near 40C) fever about two days ago, and is a wreck, with bad saturation. The asymptomatic person that infected us probably got it from a minister at church who was tested positive shortly before, and this person had pretty mild symptoms. Surprisingly many otherwise healthy 30-50yo in the hospitals now, potentially due to the British variant, keeping our hospitals overburdened despite vaccination really making strides (most of the originally at risk population is vaccinated now)

So far it sounds like vaccines are definitely preferable to getting the real thing. And surprisingly many people have long lasting effects.

3. wco81

Legend

Good to hear you’re recovering but too bad you got infected in he first place.

you guys were singing indoors?

as for long term effects, there were studies of the SARS patients from 2003 and some of them still showed effects years later. Not necessarily obvious symptoms but lung scarring.

4. wco81

Legend

Reporter for The Atlantic invited people to email him on why they weren't going to get vaccinated.

Most of his respondents were under 50 and there were some common explanations like "already had covid so don't need it" or "haven't had it yet but my immune system will protect me."

But the answers also tracked with how they felt about the pandemic. They didn't like the restrictions, thought it was a power grab by public health officials like Fauci and liberals.

Some of them claimed they were apolitical or even liberal but as a result of the pandemic, some of them voted all Republican. :roll:

Yeah right, you were apolitical or liberal

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/the-people-who-wont-get-the-vaccine/618765/

John Oliver did a show about this vaccine hesitancy. He cited a poll that said 25% believe vaccine is more of a risk than getting covid.

Then he showed Tucker Carlson posing a bunch of questions with false assumptions -- "what is their efficacy and why are they not telling us?"

Then a clip of Alex Jones saying mRNA vaccines cause brain plaque and most people who get mRNA vaccines will have neurological disorders within a year and be dead within 10 years.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-oliver-anti-vax-myths-kennedy-joke

Basically a big enough percentage of Americans ignore mainstream media and rely on disinformation on right-wing media.

Not a surprise that the 5 states with the lowest percentages of vaccination are red states, LA, ID, WY.

Lightman, pharma, Laurent06 and 4 others like this.
  5. green.pixel

Veteran

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I was at Walmart yesterday and even they have vaccination by appointment now. One can so easily get vaccinated around here. The FUD about all of this is not even remotely surprising though.

7. Davros

Legend

Do they charge ?

8. wco81

Legend

According to Google Maps, Sweden is currently at 49.6 cases per 100k.

Norway is at 11.3, Denmark is at 12.3, Finland is at 3.7. Baltics are all at least 27.

Next highest in Western Europe are Netherlands at 43.5, France at 32.2.

For comparison, India is at 27.7.

How does Tegnell keep his job?

Laurent06 likes this.
  9. manux

Veteran Regular

10. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

From what I've heard, pharmacies do charge. However the city has been running a big vaccination clinic since March that is entirely free. That's where I went. It is quite the assembly line operation and surprisingly fast. I had no idea it would be at little pharmacies so quickly.

#3792 swaaye, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  11. Davros

Legend

When I got my az jab filling in the paperwork took many times longer than the actual vaccination

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

3 sets of screening total 15-20 minutes, poke in the arm 5 seconds, 15 minutes waiting for reaction after that.

Edit pfizer for me tho

Picao84 likes this.
  13. pharma

Veteran Regular

Actually I got the Pfizer vaccine in the CVS pharmacy at no cost. I don't believe they are allowed to charge since they do not purchase the vaccine. The vaccines in the US are free and should be for quite a while.

swaaye and manux like this.
  14. manux

Veteran Regular

I also got pfizer. Showed id, waited in line, showed id again, was asked the questionnaire, vaccinated, 15 minutes of observing and off I went. My shoulder was quite sore for 1.5days but nothing really alarming. Tetanus shot is still worse for me. Maybe the second shot will cause more annoyance. Vaccination was free as pharma said. Someone told me they have to be free as federal government paid for the vaccines.

swaaye and pharma like this.
  15. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

Impact of vaccination on SARS-CoV-2 cases in the community: a population-based study using the UK’s COVID-19 Infection Survey | medRxiv

upload_2021-5-5_16-49-58.png

16. tuna

Veteran

Swedish people might not like lockdowns and are willing to accept more infected (but not dead) to keep as much as possible of normal life?

17. wco81

Legend

I don't think they succeeded in the keeping deaths down part either.

Are there no infected Swedes suffering from "long covid?"

18. tuna

Veteran

Fewer deaths (per capita) than France, more than the Netherlands. Unclear how many people are suffering long term symptoms.