Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RDGoodla, Feb 4, 2020.

1. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

A sidenote to the SA data...the 40% that got positive...had MUCH milder symptoms and MUCH less need for hospitalization.
    The devil is in the details ;)

2. green.pixel

Veteran

3. green.pixel

Veteran

4. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

Yeah...we test like crazy here in DK...I get a test once a week (due to me working on-location).

5. Mariner

Veteran

Reinfection is to be expected from Coronaviruses, as we well know, but why no analysis of the likelihood of becoming seriously ill the second time around?

This is what is never mentioned in these reports. If you are only likely to get mild symptoms the second time around, then it's a whole different ball game. You'd hope (and perhaps even expect) that the vast majority of later infections will be mild or even asymptomatic, at least when there is a broad enough level of immunity/protection in the population. If severity of confirmed reinfections are tracked, it might give us some sort of an indication of how long we will have to likely we're going to be intensively dealing with this pandemic. My guess would be that it will be a couple years at least of booster vaccines before we're confident enough that this will become a less dangerous illness. This is working on the assumption that long-term sterilising immunity won't be possible, but if it just becomes another circulating cold virus, then not so much of a problem.

Arwin and Lightman like this.
  6. wco81

Legend

Nasal spray treatment by a Canadian biotech shows promising results. Company is planning to apply for EUA in the UK and Canada:

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com...educes-covid-19-viral-load-uk-clinical-trail/

The active ingredient is nitric oxide.

But note that it's only Phase 2 clinical data. However if it works, it might be an alternative to monoclonal antibodies, which require infusions with some trained personnel vs. self-administered nasal spray, for early treatment.

If it does successfully reduce viral load in the upper respiratory tract, it would also reduce transmission.

Arwin, Lightman and tinokun like this.
  7. Davros

Legend

thats laughing gas isnt it?

8. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

No, methane is the gas that makes people laugh

9. wco81

Legend

Nitrous oxide?

Also some dentists give it to you.

nitrous oxide is N2O while nitric oxide is NO.

10. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

upload_2021-3-19_19-44-41.png

New data from Germany: B117 is the most dominant Sars-Cov-2 variant.

tinokun and BRiT like this.
  11. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Are those measurements at Weeks 4, 6, 8, and 10 [beginning March 8th] of 2021 or projections for the months April, June, August, and October? I think it's the former, but wanted to make sure.

12. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

KW stands for calendar week.

BRiT likes this.
  13. green.pixel

Veteran

14. Mariner

Veteran

Interesting that there appears to be greater risk for women from this condition and also that the prevalence numbers don't appear to match up quite the same on this side of the channel.

We know that use of the contraceptive pill increases the risk of thrombosis, so I wonder if there could be some sort of link here? Alternatively, we know that women have stronger immune systems than men, so the increased risk could be down to too strong an immune response in a tiny minority of people?

If this was the case, we could end up just giving the AZ vaccine to men and older people, though for pretty much every age group, the risk of harm from the vaccine is a couple of orders of magnitude lower than from the virus itself.

I wonder if a similar signal will appear with the other adenovirus vaccines once enough doses of those have been administered?

15. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Dont worry Oxford–AstraZeneca has a cunning plan

they're changing the name of the vaccine to Vaxzeria

Laurent06 and BRiT like this.
  16. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not sure if that's better or worse than FordAstra or Astroxford or Oxeneca...

Lightman likes this.
  17. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

It`s Opel Astra. Or Vauxhall Astra (for people who cannot build own cars). :mrgreen:

It is a really strange situation here in Germany.

Lightman likes this.
  18. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

Err, while I admit Opel Astra may cause immunologic responses to some people (I've even heard of people being allergic to Opels) I suspect its effectiveness for Covid is not great.

Lightman likes this.
  19. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

If that german data is true, that would imply greater than 100 cases in the uk and 10s of deaths. Why have we not heard about this?, I mean of course boris would not try and suppress this news would he, after all he's such a lovely scamp with his scruffy hair