Computex-Day3- NVIDIA Conference

http://www.legionhardware.com/html/doc.php?id=261&p=3

Now here is a company that can turn a press conference into their own trade show. While NVIDIA had a lot more than VIA to say about their chipsets they seemed to be avoiding the products that we all came to hear about. Those products would be the NVIDIA GPU’s. There was little mention about any new FX cards or the current ones. The NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun made it quite clear that the graphics industry would no longer be the primary focus point of the company. They then continued to demonstrate a wide range of new multimedia products.

Interesting..did not expect that...anyone there and can confirm ??

I think the meaning behind what he said has been misunderstood. As I see it, he's just saying that - whereas in the past nVidia was basically only GPU driven - now they're diversifying, a process that started with the nForce. He's not saying that graphics isn't still going to be a huge area for them.

That's how I see it anyway. I certainly don't think they're throwing in the towel to ATi :)

Nope, I didn't think they would. Yet Nvidias business money maker has always been GPU's. So to say they are not 'focussing' on that as their primary business then that is also a change from the past.

well the point is when it comes to investing money to grow they are going to focus on other market segments.
Nothing wrong with that. In the desktop GPU space they can't grow much more.
I think they wanna remain in the 60% add in card market share range and thats it.

If you have a 100 Mio dollars to invest you will compare your chances to grow in the current market or in new markets.
The smartphone market or the general multimedia handset market will grow a lot over the next years. So my guess is they will focus a lot on that and of course on the chipset market.

In the gpu space they will do what they need to keep their position and thats it.
The speed of true innovation in the desktop GPU space will slow down.

Doomtrooper said:
http://www.legionhardware.com/html/doc.php?id=261&p=3

Now here is a company that can turn a press conference into their own trade show. While NVIDIA had a lot more than VIA to say about their chipsets they seemed to be avoiding the products that we all came to hear about. Those products would be the NVIDIA GPU’s. There was little mention about any new FX cards or the current ones. The NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun made it quite clear that the graphics industry would no longer be the primary focus point of the company. They then continued to demonstrate a wide range of new multimedia products.

Interesting..did not expect that...anyone there and can confirm ??

WOW! If the Asus and MSI rumours are true this may be a remark to save face, if that's possible.

Edit

From AnandTech
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1886

"At the moment, we are receiving conflicting reports on NVIDIA market strategy for the future. There is some speculation that NVIDIA would shift primary focus away from graphics, but this is a gamble, since all of their market perception: multimedia, chipsets, etc… derives from their graphics’ name."

This has got to be a face saving PR strategy. Now is it because of the rumoured switch or because of the sub-par products?

Back