Computex 2021, AMD | Nvidia

So Zen 4 is ~15% faster than Zen 3 V-Cache... Yes, Zen 3 V-Cache is looking like an emergency competitor for Alder Lake, with Zen 4 desktop coming about a year after Alder Lake...

Zen 4, if it's "on time", may only be "on time" for server. Epyc won't have an integrated GPU, I expect, eliminating that specific variable.

I'm guessing that Ryzen with integrated GPU will have the GPU as part of the IO die, which is obviously an additional degree of complexity over the IO die for Zen 3 CPUs.

Here:

we can see that at about 65W for both 5600X and 5600G (benchmarked with a 3080), the 5600G is 80-95% of the performance of 5600X. So a solid 10% performance loss at the same power because it's an APU and despite the fact that 5600X has a separate IO die which would normally be interpreted as an additional power drain.

So, why is the Zen 3 APU ~10% slower than the same core configuration Zen 3 CPU?...

So Zen 4 is ~15% faster than Zen 3 V-Cache...
Well you see, upper RPH parts also use X3D.
Also that's mem/cachebound shit only.
There are many more workloads that aren't just LLC hits.
Zen 3 V-Cache is looking like an emergency competitor for Alder Lake
Nope, it's just a funny market-grade testbed for stuff to come.
Zen 4, if it's "on time", may only be "on time" for server.
Abandom copium now please.
RPH timing is between Q3'22 and Q2'23 depending on how the DDR5 situation pans out.
I'm guessing that Ryzen with integrated GPU will have the GPU as part of the IO die, which is obviously an additional degree of complexity over the IO die for Zen 3 CPUs.
That's not how they design anything.
They just pick the config and add the block.
Very RTL monke-friendly.
So, why is the Zen 3 APU ~10% slower than the same core configuration Zen 3 CPU?...
Because it has half the L3 per CCX that's why.
RNR had a quarter of comparable Z2 parts.
CZN is back to the usual half.

What is this copium?
A funny imaginary substance that makes people go weird and say unreasonable things in an attempt to cope with something.
Good stuff, I prescribe it to anyone expecting ADL to be anything besides CB r23 waitmark pumping machine (at least it's decent at that).

Why would people need to cope with something that isn't even out yet and for which they aren't even responsible?

What's the DDR5 situation?
BAD.
bad-bad-bad-bad-bad.
Some are projecting crossover waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay into 2023.
The suckass part is DRAM cartel rolling another price fixing cycle right into DDR5 introduction.
Which means miserable adoption outside of server (or even there if we're particularly unlucky).
This also makes H1'22 SPR ramp xtra silly but I digress.
Does that mean Zen3 + Cache is DDR4?
Yeah, it's the last AM4 huzzah.
A platform that went from Bristol Ridge to this, however AMD names the final product.

Welp... Alder Lake it is, then..

The suckass part is DRAM cartel rolling another price fixing cycle right into DDR5 introduction.
I'm not surprised. They do this every time the new format comes up.
Unfortunately, the regulators' fines are always low enough make that crime a profitable endeavor.

Do you really wanna buy into DDR5 at launch?
Why wouldn't I?

Do I pay more for relatively low-specced memory? Yes. But I also safeguard a decent degree of upgradeability, which is something I definitely won't have if I buy into DDR4...

Nah, your sticks will be antiquated by the time your upgrade cycle goes.
At launch we're gonna have JEDEC shitbins (B spec) and some wonky as fuck OC kits.

It doesn't really matter. Even if I have to pair up a CPU with RAM that runs below its default speeds, I can still upgrade the CPU and run it with the slower memory.

Whatever single-digit percentage performance hit it has, it still beats having to change motherboard + clean SO installation etc.

But that's me. I'm lazy.

It doesn't really matter. Even if I have to pair up a CPU with RAM that runs below its default speeds, I can still upgrade the CPU and run it with the slower memory.

Whatever single-digit percentage performance hit it has, it still beats having to change motherboard + clean SO installation etc.

But that's me. I'm lazy.
You don't need to clean install OS when switching parts, and memory can easily make more than single digit performance differences as we've seen, though.

Back