Cod3 Ps3

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...id=6160207&mode=previews&tag=previews;title;1

The Laison level also offered some vehicular action: namely, you'll have to drive a jeep through part of the mission to get to where you need to go. Again, the Sixaxis could be used here essentially like a steering wheel to guide the jeep, though of course you'll be able to use the controller's traditional controls for everything if you prefer. The game sure did look good, though. It didn't look qualitatively better than the Xbox 360 version we've spent a lot of time with, though we noted the frame rate was consistent throughout our entire demo. That's because the many cores of the PS3's Cell processor are handling different parts of the game discretely, which apparently gives the developers more breathing room to implement various visual and aural effects without worrying about dragging down the frame rate too much.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740599p1.html

At this point, the game already runs quite well. We wouldn't say it runs at a rock-solid 60fps, but it's certainly smooth enough that no one will be complaining. Given the amount of detail and number of particle effects happening at any one time, this is fairly impressive, especially for a first-generation PS3 title.

COD3 seems to be up to speed now..

Wasn't it supposed to run slower than the xbox360 version, and look worse too, according to earlier reports.
Confusing.
When is this game coming out?

Thats nice, first info about COD3 on PS3 which has kinda "True" feel to it.

I kept reading about better shaders than x360 and better lighting than x360 yada yada... which turned out to be utter bollocks. So i am happy they got their Framerate Issues fixed.

Good news for fish&chips3.
I don't see why people were expecting much, with all these rumours about "better graphics" and all that on PS3. The whole project seems much liek a rush job, especially the PS3 version, so we're lucky it looks the same as the 360 version and runs decently too. Anything more than that would be impressive, seen the deadlines and the time restrictions, but very unlikely.

Good news for fish&chips3.
I don't see why people were expecting much, with all these rumours about "better graphics" and all that on PS3. The whole project seems much liek a rush job, especially the PS3 version, so we're lucky it looks the same as the 360 version and runs decently too. Anything more than that would be impressive, seen the deadlines and the time restrictions, but very unlikely.

Agreed. And also like others have mentioned, the COD2 engine was already quite optimized for 360.

Agreed. And also like others have mentioned, the COD2 engine was already quite optimized for 360.

And besides that, there is that liiitle factor i keep repeating: same assets. :smile:

The two versions have the exact same assets, textures, models etc, so it would take a whole lot to make one look very different from the other. Things like MUCH avanced lighting - enough to notice, which isn't always easy! - or, for example, LOADS more particle effects than we get already - again, enough to notice a difference, which isn't easy unless the difference is vast.

The two are hardly "quick fixes", especially the lighting! That's why multiplatform games will look very much the same across the two platforms...

The two versions have the exact same assets, textures, models etc, so it would take a whole lot to make one look very different from the other. Things like MUCH avanced lighting - enough to notice, which isn't always easy! - or, for example, LOADS more particle effects than we get already - again, enough to notice a difference, which isn't easy unless the difference is vast.
Frankly speaking: did you notice any differences watching the new PS3 trailer?

Frankly speaking: did you notice any differences watching the new PS3 trailer?

I haven't watched either. I'm speaking from experience and common sense really. If they do look different, it might have more to do with different levels of contrast or a slightly different hue for example.

But as far as total graphical updates go, very very unlikely. I will definitely be impressed if they do manage to squeeze something like that given the time restrictions though.

Actually I think PS3 version has even worse textures (as they are really bad in 360 version)... and that's all. Though it's hard to judge from a video that is so heavily compressed.

I haven't watched either. I'm speaking from experience and common sense really. If they do look different, it might have more to do with different levels of contrast or a slightly different hue for example.

But as far as total graphical updates go, very very unlikely. I will definitely be impressed if they do manage to squeeze something like that given the time restrictions though.

Developers have had PS3 dev kits just as long as they've had 360 kits. And this version of COD is made by a completely seperate team from COD2. 360 doesn't have as big a dev time advantage as some would make it out to be.

Developers have had PS3 dev kits just as long as they've had 360 kits. And this version of COD is made by a completely seperate team from COD2. 360 doesn't have as big a dev time advantage as some would make it out to be.

not only that, but the PS3 devkits have all run on the cell cpu (and a G70\71 gpu) since like 2004 or so. Wereas the x360 kits have been radically different from the final hardware for a long time.

....so I don't get it. What's wrong with the textures?

Noticed some mad edge aliasing during "playback" on my crap computer here. The video froze right in the middle of an explosion going off and there was this soldier in front of it. :LOL: I don't think I would have noticed it otherwise.

It's obvious that, whatever people say, the PS3 IS more tricky to get to grips with than the 360 is.

Also, we don't really know how long real dev kits have been out - sure Sony likes us to believe that devs have had proper dev kits for decades, but is it really true? And that doesn't really matter, as some devs might have had them for ages but some others might have had them for a shorter period of time.

Really, in the end, the assets are the same, the CPU is very much one of its kind compared to PowerPC cores in the 360, and we don't really know how long they've been working on both versions. Add to that, the 360 team had the COD2 engine to work from, whether they are a totally different team or not, whereas for PS3 this is the first COD game.

The RSX wasn't really available but the Cell was. PS3 dev kits have had a better GPU than the RSX at least as far as features known ever since E3 2005. Before then Devs probably used 6800s in SLI on a dev pc. Some of them especially companies that have games ready for day 1 of launch have had hardware as long as 360 devs have probably had beta kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

But the COD2 code wasnt transfered to the next team working on COD3? They didnt make the engine from scratch on COD3 I'm sure of it. And we are not exactly sure how long this specific team has had PS3 kits, but we do know COD2 was a released game on the 360 12 months ago.

Is the game console exclusive? since personally i prefer to play those kind of games on the pc.

Will the console versions offer KB&M support?

However some try to spin it, developers have had 360 final devkits for a much longer periode of time. Add to that the better tools Microsoft provides and the extra complexity of the PS3 architecture and you have your answer. :smile:
Regardless, I find COD3 very unappealing. It looks as if they used an old-gen engine, tweaked it and polished the graphics to death (well, not really given the textures imperfections :LOL: ). Some ambition for god's sake !

Back