CNET: First Blueray players to cost $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap In

Legend
good news for PS3.

If sony can put out a BR player at $399 with the game functionality included, they are possibly well on their way to the same boost that the PS2 got from DVD play.

That is.... if the format takes off that soon.

The obvious question is, how wil Sony sell $1000 blu-ray players, sitting next to a $300 console that plays games, is a switch AND is a blu-ray player?

Something doesn't add up.

edit: switch not router my bad

scooby_dooby said:
The obvious question is, how wil Sony sell $1000 blu-ray players, sitting next to a $300 console that plays games, is a router AND is a blu-ray player?

nope, but that doesn't seem to matter right now :p ;)

oh and I'm going on record as predicting $379 for PS3. Book it and then revisit this thread. ;)

Pricing doesn't matter now... it's all about growing the brand, and if they can grow the PS3 AND bluray and the same time, then so what if they can't move the 1000 dollar players. It's the long haul that matters.

scooby_dooby said:
The obvious question is, how wil Sony sell $1000 blu-ray players, sitting next to a $300 console that plays games, is a switch AND is a blu-ray player?

edit: switch not router my bad
The same way they sold ps2 when at the same time DVD players cost 3 times as much. :D

I don't recall DVD players being $900 at launch.

From what I recal you could buy one for $200-300 at teh time, which made the PS2 a very attractive solution.

Also DVD had 10x's the mass appeal than a HD-Video's will have, simply because DVD worked with any TV on the market, and these only work with 10%.

I guess it's a good strategy in a way, to sell PS3's, offer blu-ray players at ridiculously high prices making the PS3 look like the best deal in town.

However, you can't ignore the moves HD-DVD might be making as well, having high-priced blu-ray players might encourage PS3 sales, but it may not be the best move for winning the format war.

Sales of blu-ray "media" would all depends what percentage of PS3 players actually own an HD-TV and buy HD movies. And I really see sales of media as the deciding factor, whoever is selling the most movies in a year or two will win.

i think is recorder/player maybe, not just player
since the beginning the bluray is presented like a recordable support not just playable (counter to HD-DVD)

scooby_dooby said:
I don't recall DVD players being $900 at launch.

From what I recal you could buy one for $200-300 at teh time, which made the PS2 a very attractive solution.

Also DVD had 10x's the mass appeal than a HD-Video's will have, simply because DVD worked with any TV on the market, and these only work with 10%.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray still work on stadard TV's ( downscaleing the video ) plus Blu-ray is backwards compatable to Standard Def DVD. backwards compat migh appeal to most people. I know that even if PS3 launches with crap Titles i will still by one for the Blu-ray drive.....and im sure im not the only world that wont be doing that....

If the games wont sell it at launch, the Blu-ray playback will :D

Which is why trojan horsing the blu-ray in the PS3 is brilliant. When mom and pop learn that the only way to enjoy their fancy new HD movies is through an HDCP enable connection and then learn their fancy HDTV they spent 5000 dollars on last year doesn't have one... well, they're gonna be pissed and more than likely will return the sucker. HOWEVER, if it's a game console... you still get HD gaming and lot's of other neat stuff. Pretty smart in my mind, and part of the reason why I think blu-ray will beat out HD-DVD players, which will be stand alone.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
HD-DVD and Blu-ray still work on stadard TV's ( downscaleing the video ) plus Blu-ray is backwards compatable to Standard Def DVD. backwards compat migh appeal to most people.

lol, it works but it has basically NO benefit to them over a standard DVD player, so it's essentially useless if you don't have a HD set.

i think you're overestimating the user base that will have a HD-TV, but at the same time not be able to afford/and won't prefer a standalone. I think that's a very small portion of HD-TV owners over all.

While it will sell some PS3's, I really personally don't see it as a driving force anywhere near like the included DVD player was.

Standalone players (if anyone bothers selling them...) won't come close to $1000; recorders will however, and remember these new formats are being positioned as the new recordable format right off the bat.

How much was a DVD recorder at launch?

The article is simply speculating like a hundred before it anyways, thus I don't see much point in this thread, especially considering Opa implied CNET stated $1000 as fact, which they did not.

More anti-Sony FUD from Opa... surprise, surprise...

I think Toshiba has stated that they will only have HDMI output from their HD-DVD players. If Sony is the same on this point, then BR players will not work with everyone's TV sets without some expensive conversion.

IMO, price the BR players at $250, lose less per unit and drive up adoption rates even higher. The only saving grace here is that they build adoption rates for two of their biggest markets. People who buy it for gaming may not use it for movies and vice versa.

Expect HD-DVD standalones to launch in Nov with ~90 titles.

I assume they will price aggressively to compete with the PS3, if the standalones can come in the ~300-400 ballpark that will negate alot of potential purchasers of blu-ray.

Most NON-gamers, will buy the standalone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back