Claimed: Oblivion coming to PS3, Nov 6 (launch?)

Titanio

Legend
snatches on GAF has regularly been informing of release news that he gets directly from companies, and his latest update from Bethesda includes two juicy nuggets:

PS2 AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
XBX AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
PS2 IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
XBX IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
PS2 Pirates Of The Caribbean:Legend of Jack Sparrow 1-Jun-06
PS2 Star Trek - Battlestations 6-Oct-06
360 Star Trek - Legacy 6-Oct-06
DS Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PSP Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PS3 Oblivion 6-Nov-06
PSP Oblivion 6-Nov-06

As you can see, there's also a PSP version coming, apparently. Perhaps bigger than either piece of news is that this might be our first look at a PS3 launch date, or close to it (if this is the ship-date for these titles - might suggest a launch on the 7th).

Take with salt as appropriate, but snatches has been reliable for release lists before.

Interesting news. PSP Oblivion does sound a bit odd though, I wonder how faithful it can be to the original Oblivion. I wonder if Bethesda will use this extra time to polish the PS3 version.

After seeing the other titles that are trying to make near Ps3 launch and now Oblivion( if true) Ps3 could have the best lineup in a console launch ever!

PSP Oblivion is a mental idea. Perhaps it'll be like mobile phone GTA : a totally different and unrelated game? Or an online game run off servers, if it's coming out along with PS3 edition (if this info is true)?

I'd imagine any PSP version would be a whole other game, not an attempted port or something that was trying to be faithful to the home versions. I mean, there are completely seperate mobile phone versions, apparently.

It raises the prospect of PS3<->PSP connectivity, though..

I think it was expected for PS3 and then withdrawn, but I don't know that it was ever confirmed. Then there was lots of dicussion why PS3 wasn't getting Oblivion and it was suggested by some that without an HDD it couldn't be played. Then we learnt XB360 didn't have an HDD as standard and Oblivion was coming for it anyway. Then we heard PS3 might be coming with an HDD as standard...

It was a game I was sorry to hear wasn't coming to PS3 as I was excited for it but am only getting the one console. However, now I've seen the game I don't mind if it appears or not on the platform, except that it's a good indication of perhaps more diverse western RPG attention on the platform. The possibilty of Elder Scrolls, DnD/Forgotten Realms, and the such-like should hopefully mean I won't miss out on great games because I don't have a meaty enough PC to run them.

Did Bethesda ever say "it's coming to PS3" and then turnaround and say "sorry, cancelled"? Or was that all just magazine talk?

I'd say if Bethesda did directly or indirectly pour cold water on talk of a PS3 version at that time, it was probably so as not to distract attention from the versions out on shelves currently (or coming out shortly, at the time). Now that it's out and has sold very well, they'd probably be happy to talk about any other future versions.

Just keep remembering, it's not confirmed till it's confirmed. But I'm inclined to trust the source of this info.

I wonder how will PS3 owners take a liking to western RPGs? If true though, this is definitely good news as Oblivion is a fantastic game.

dukmahsik said:
I wonder how will PS3 owners take a liking to western RPGs? If true though, this is definitely good news as Oblivion is a fantastic game.

I was wondering this too... not only will the game have probably sold around 2 million copies by that time, but the PS3(PS2/PS1) audiences (not to make sweeping generalizations) hasn't necessarily been given many western RPGs, so it's more or less untested waters at this point. Hopefully it does well, because, for as many issues I found with the game (F the guards!), I had a lot of fun with it and would be happy to see it sell well.

Titanio said:
I'd say if Bethesda did directly or indirectly pour cold water on talk of a PS3 version at that time, it was probably so as not to distract attention from the versions out on shelves currently (or coming out shortly, at the time). Now that it's out and has sold very well, they'd probably be happy to talk about any other future versions.

so you're saying they did not pull a capcom? how prudent of them

Guys this all all forum rumors, check out the Bethesda forums, they have denied even working on a PS3 version from day one.

sounds like a sony ****** wishing for games that have turned out great.

swanlee said:
Guys this all all forum rumors, check out the Bethesda forums, they have denied even working on a PS3 version from day one.

sounds like a sony ****** wishing for games that have turned out great.

Snatches is anything but a sony ******. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Bethesda is now simply denying that they have any announced plans. If that's not dancing around words, I don't know what is.

Of course, until it is confirmed, it remains rumour. But I think it's a stronger one than the typical. The same guy brought info about F.E.A.R. coming to PS3 and 360 some months ago, for example.

Nesh said:
Is FEAR coming to PS3 and 360?

The new OPS2 quotes a guy from Monolith, on the PS3 delay, talking about how it'll give them more time to polish up their title. The mag also teases about a PC title that 'C.O.M.E.S.' to PS3, that'll feature in their next issue. I think a recent 360 mag has mentioned it for 360 also.

http://xbox360.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149936

Earlier today Internet chatter rose over the possibility of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion showing up on PlayStation 3 and PSP later this year. On the infamous NeoGAF, a user claimed to have been sent a release list by Bethesda Softworks listing the Xbox 360 and PC RPG slated for a release on Sony's platforms for this November. When contacted, Bethesda didn't categorically deny the information. "At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any other platforms than PC or Xbox 360. We'll certainly let folks know if that changes," says VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines.
Of course, the key word there is announced. There's plenty of wiggle room for the company to come out swinging with both games at, say, E3. What a coincidence that would be!
Let's ask Bethesda again just to make sure. Maybe they'll slip up. "I'm saying we have not announced any plans to do a PS3 or PSP version of Oblivion. I don't know who that person is or where they came up with that information," he said.
Okay, not yet. Patience, PlayStation fans.

sounds like the announcement got out of the bag before they were ready. :)

Back