B3D Yoddha
Veteran
See this link,.....

Sony Pushing Forward on Next Generation Broadband Chip

Here is the text...

April 21, 2003
Sony Pushing Forward on Next Generation Broadband Chip
By Mark Berniker
Sony Corp. (Quote, Company Info) said it is investing $1.7 billion in its new "Cell" processor, which is expected to be the engine behind PlayStation 3 and a raft of other future Sony electronic products.

Sony is saying the new chip will be a thousand times more powerful than the processor that runs Sony's PlayStation 2 gaming system. The company says the chip will be built at an upgraded chip fabrication plant in Isahaya City, near Nagasaki, Japan.

Sony said it will use the 65 nanometer chip production process on 300mm wafers, rather than the 90 nanometer system widely used today. The thinner chip manufacturing process enables more transistors to be placed on the chip.

But as Sony announces a huge investment, it is still not clear when PlayStation 3 will hit the market, and whether the Cell chip technology will actually be built into it. Electronic Design Chain is reporting that "the Cell project was originally envisioned as taking five years, suggesting that the final product may not be ready until as late as 2007. Although Sony refuses to talk about its future plans for the chip, it does admit that the Cell chip will not be the CPU in the Playstation3, reportedly slated for release in 2005."

But contrary to the report, Sony is releasing some details about the Cell chip, including its "multi-core architecture," which will allow for a stack of processor cores to be put on a single chip. Also, Sony is beginning to detail how the Cell chip is tied to its overall future broadband strategy.

"Building on this, Sony's Broadband Network Company, newly established as of April this year, will play a key role in developing next generation electronic devices and linkages to game devices," said Kunitake Ando, president and group COO of Sony, in a statement.

Sony is working with Toshiba and IBM (Quote, Company Info) on developing the Cell chip, which could be built into everything from new consumer electronics devices, television set-top boxes, cable and satellite digital broadcast decoders, high-definition televisions, Tivo-like hard-drive recording devices, and mobile phone and computing devices. A portion of Sony's major investment in the Cell development project will also be to upgrade Toshiba's 300mm wafer plant in southwestern Japan, which currently produces chips for PlayStation 2.

The architecture of the Cell chip may also be licensed to other computer manufacturers in the future, including IBM which may use a version of the Cell chip in its next generation of servers. In earlier reports about the Cell project, it has been called "supercomputer on a chip."

Analysts say there are questions whether Sony will recoup its massive investments in PlayStation 2, and now PlayStation 3. As PlayStation 2 matures as a product, and several video game manufacturers, including Nintendo and Microsoft (Quote, Company Info) innovate and upgrade their products, Sony will face a variety of product and timing challenges.

Sony has said it expects sales volume of PlayStation 2 to begin declining in 2004, and as a result, it is pushing forward with rapid development of its next-generation video console platform. There are also reports that Sony will be coming out with several new electronics products within the next few months, which will likely marry its consumer electronics and broadband strategy with its advanced semiconductor manufacturing capabilities.

Recently, Sony has said it will shutdown a wafer fab in San Antonio, Texas, which will impact aspects of the company?s legacy foundry facilities. The decision will lead to some 600 jobs within Sony's San Antonio's operations.

Sony said it will use the 65 nanometer chip production process on 300mm wafers, rather than the 90 nanometer system widely used today. The thinner chip manufacturing process enables more transistors to be placed on the chip.

This is what I expected :)

Where does the article _specifically_ state Cell technology will be used for the cpu in PS3? Did you choose the tiitle just to get people to read your thread Deepak?

Ahh the lovely ambiguties, the fact that Sony says Cell will ship in products before 2007 is contrary to what was in the EDS article ... but they dont actually say that anything Sony said was contrary to the statement that it wouldnt be used in the PS3. Indeed nothing they say Sony said in there suggests it would be used in the PS3.

I think Cell will be used in the PS3, but this article does not say it.

But as Sony announces a huge investment, it is still not clear when PlayStation 3 will hit the market, and whether the Cell chip technology will actually be built into it.

Still gotta love this part. So i guess the cell wont be in the ps3 after all.

Why do you think jvd that SONY is going to sink their hard earned 1.6 billions if it is not CELL??

Sony sinks $1.6 billion into 'Cell' plant

"Cell will be the basic processor for building networks," Ken Kutaragi, Sony's executive deputy president, told a news conference. "In addition to expanding its use in new applications inside the Sony group, we want to take it outside the home and expand it to a variety of areas."

Sony, together with PlayStation maker and sister company Sony Computer Entertainment, will invest $1.6 billion in the new plant in the Nagasaki Prefecture.

This puts the earliest date of release of the PlayStation 3 at late 2005, or more likely 2006, considering the amount of time needed to develop the process technology and mass-produce the new chip.

TTP said:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/030421ae.pdf

"With this investment, SCEI will manufacture the new microprocessor for the broadband era, code-named “Cellâ€￾, as well as other system LSIs, to be used for the next generation computer entertainment system."

Guess this ends the debate on whenever the PS3 will be powered by Cells or not.

Great find TTP4 :)

Deepak said:
Why do you think jvd that SONY is going to sink their hard earned 1.6 billions if it is not CELL??

Hey i'm just quoting the article that proves cell will be in ps3 when it clearly doesn't

Oh and sony will sink that money into a fab for many reasons . It could be blue ray tech for all any of us know. It can also be cell. But it may not be for the ps3. I know sony makes alot of products. It can be used in tvs , set top boxes , dvd players , blue ray players , cd players , tosters .

Panajev2001a said:
TTP said:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/030421ae.pdf

"With this investment, SCEI will manufacture the new microprocessor for the broadband era, code-named “Cellâ€￾, as well as other system LSIs, to be used for the next generation computer entertainment system."

Guess this ends the debate on whenever the PS3 will be powered by Cells or not.

Great find TTP4 :)

Don't see why its a great find it says

it will make cell as well as other system lsi's to be used for next generation computer entertainment system. So it doesn't exactly say cell will be used in ps3 , they could be talking about the other LSI's once against vague words coming from sony .

Quote:

With this investment, SCEI will manufacture the new microprocessor for the broadband era, code-named “Cellâ€￾,

...then it says....

as well as other system LSIs, to be used for the next generation computer entertainment system.

So perhaps the "other system LSIs" part refers to the "next genration computer entertainment system, while the Cell is for the "broadband era".
So perhaps Cell and the LSIs for PS3 will be both using 65nm process, but they're still different from each other.

bbot said:
Quote:

With this investment, SCEI will manufacture the new microprocessor for the broadband era, code-named “Cellâ€￾,

...then it says....

as well as other system LSIs, to be used for the next generation computer entertainment system.

So perhaps the "other system LSIs" part refers to the "next genration computer entertainment system, while the Cell is for the "broadband era".
So perhaps Cell and the LSIs for PS3 will be both using 65nm process, but they're still different from each other.
hehe i beat u to it :)

Back to Square 1...

We should make the vicious cicle of Cell... we keep going back to square one after a loop of discussion...

I already posted quite a bit of evidence regarding my position ( tons of quotes and lines ofer two threads ).

Where is this misterious R&D investment they are making designing these non Cell based CPU and GPU for Playstation 3 ?

If tons of little EEs and GSs were good enough why halting the GScube program ?

Who is co-designing the CPU and GPU with Sony for PlayStation 3 ?

Do you really believe they can recoup the investment nicely and diffuse Cell ( you need to attack on as many fronts as you can to estabilish such a new architecture as a succesful new player ) if PlayStation 3 ships without any sign of it ?

Panajev2001a said:
Back to Square 1...

We should make the vicious cicle of Cell... we keep going back to square one after a loop of discussion...

I already posted quite a bit of evidence regarding my position ( tons of quotes and lines ofer two threads ).

Where is this misterious R&D investment they are making designing these non Cell based CPU and GPU for Playstation 3 ?

If tons of little EEs and GSs were good enough why halting the GScube program ?

Who is co-designing the CPU and GPU with Sony for PlayStation 3 ?

Do you really believe they can recoup the investment nicely and diffuse Cell ( you need to attack on as many fronts as you can to estabilish such a new architecture as a succesful new player ) if PlayStation 3 ships without any sign of it ?

What you don't seem to get is u keep posting stuff and the same things u quote i quote back to totally go against what u said. I'm not out looking for ways to disprove what u say. Your providing it for me .

;)

I feel the same jvd :LOL:

However, I haven't just quoted stuff... Vince and I also asked some questions... which are relevant to the points we are making :)

Those questions asked also are a key behind this statement... a statement I do not agree with...

Panajev2001a said:
;)

I feel the same jvd :LOL:

However, I haven't just quoted stuff... Vince and I also asked some questions... which are relevant to the points we are making :)

Welp i dunno i'm not sonys pres so i can't answer these. Who knows what they are thinking or what they are doing. But i know one thing they aren't doing and thats giving us def info that the cell chip will infact be used in the ps3.

Back