Cell phone radiation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green.pixel, Nov 25, 2016.

1. green.pixel

Veteran

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Don't use cell phones?

orangpelupa and digitalwanderer like this.
  3. I.S.T.

Veteran

Oh no.

No no no.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

I was going to say that there's no harmful effects. The fact that its fodder for bulshit pseudo science web sites suggests there's at least a negative effect on the sum of human knowledge.

5. green.pixel

Veteran

These studies disagree with you.

Estimating the risk of brain tumors from cellphone use: Published case–control studies

http://www.bioinitiative.org/table-of-contents/
    Martin Pall, PhD-How Wireless Devices Cause Cell Harm: Voltage Gated Calcium Channels

Council of Europe: The potential dangers of electromagnetic fields and their effect on the environment

#5 green.pixel, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    milk likes this.
  6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This

7. Pixel

Regular

Here is a study with radiofrequency radiation on rats - it does increase inflammation
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/RS012i06Sp00179/abstract

Here is another:
    The Effects on Cells Mobility Due to Exposure to EMF Radiation
    Abstract: Under the effect of RF exposure, significant change observed in Leukocytes movement direction to be perpendicular to the chemotactic direction and in parallel with the mobile phone position. Also significant change in leukocytes behavior, include changing shape much faster. The cells were shrinking, expanding, and rolling.
    http://airccse.org/journal/acij/papers/2411acij01.pdf

#7 Pixel, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  8. Pixel

Regular

The societal zeitgeist and focus is about carcinogenic effects of rf and emf radiation, but there does appear to be some negative effects to cells, that may not lead to increased mortality nor cancer.

9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I used to fear radiation from my cellphone, that's why I keep it wrapped in tinfoil. Keeps the radioactivity from leaking out.

Also, be wary venturing when the Daystar is out! It leaks MASSIVE amounts of radiation that just rain down on all these witless fools! That's why I covered an umbrella with tinfoil and always use it when I go out during the Daystar hours.

homerdog, Chris Lux and cheapchips like this.
  10. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Some people even worshipped it and bask in the radiation!

Heck, my teacher even thinks it gives us vitamins!

cheapchips and digitalwanderer like this.
  11. green.pixel

Veteran

What are you talking about?

12. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

sun

13. milk

Veteran Regular

well, the sun does hand out cancer like there's no tomorrow...

14. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

and they are daily mailed

15. green.pixel

Veteran

I wanted thread's subject to be taken seriously and provided scientific evidence for it. Why the sarcastic reply by digiw?

16. milk

Veteran Regular

yeah, I apreciated your efforts. I am I'll informed on the subject, and have always heard the whole cell phone radiation paranoia was pseudo-science before too, but in faced with all of the comprehensive amount of data you presented and the lazy sarcastic replies from others, your side seems much more convinsing to me. Again, as an interested ill informed person on the subject, I wish someone could refute your data more competently...

17. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

But seriously, anybody remembers using old big as brick cellphone?

Calling using that results in minor headache

18. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

The thing is that worrying about cellphone radiation is like worrying about water poisoning (as in drinking too much water) when drinking from sewage.

19. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

I'm afraid you didn't get off to a great start. The first link is a flim flam merchant so you set the tone of replies from the off.

There might be more helpful replies people could post, but patience for this stuff wears pretty thin, pretty quickly.

(speaking as someone who's Dad spews out 'health news' with little prompting. Lovely though he otherwise is, I delete 99% of his emails. ️).

orangpelupa and milk like this.
  20. Fred

Newcomer

Basic physics allows one to safely reject the harmful cell phone radiation hypotheses.
    1) The radiation isn't ionizing bc of quantum mechanics and the photoelectric effect.
    2) The effect is at best thermal in origin on the outskirts of the skull. But that can't cause a problem. Sleeping on your pillow for instance would be a larger effect that were it to be harmful would have been observed long ago and evolution wouldn't permit us from being there.
    3) Dose/effect relationship has to be violated in order for this to be true. Again lots of studies on humans who have lived in radio towers, that have been subjected to orders of magnitude larger intensities with no obvious impairments over and above the populace.

All of the silly papers by people arguing the opposite are basically fringe scientists.

The analogy would be the following. Imagine you are kicking a soccer ball at a house with a brick wall. Your goal is to move a glass of water sitting on a table in the house. The first thing u note is that u can't kick the ball hard enough to knock a brick down. So you try kicking lots of balls. But all you do is heat up the outer wall by doing that. Then you get clever, and try to set up a resonance so that the vibration of the struck wall sets up a reaction so that the resonant frequency matches the glass. But then you realize that the conspiracy of frequencies would have to be fine tuned to a fantastic accuracy, far more likely to simply achieve that by random natural sources, and even then it would impossible to last for longer than a split second.

So there are no plausible physical mechanisms. And indeed there is no credible evidence for the effect and every proper study has failed to demonstrate anything.

cheapchips and milk like this.