Can you get drunk on English Fruitcake?

rabidrabbit

A Reformed Member
Legend
I'll be baking for christmas, did already some gingerbread cookies and a spice cake.
I'd like to make some good fruitcake, any recipies?

What do you people eat at Christmas, what's traditional xmas meal where you live?

rabidrabbit said:
I'll be baking for christmas, did already some gingerbread cookies and a spice cake.
I'd like to make some good fruitcake, any recipies?

What do you people eat at Christmas, what's traditional xmas meal where you live?

In Denmark the traditional Christmas eve is a pork roast or/and duck with both glazed and normal boiled potatoes + red cabbage, most people drink red wine. For desert we eat a traditional danish rice putting.

We also have a traditional lunch with a number of small dishes eaten with black bread, beer and snaps is what people traditionally drink here.

Of cause there is also a selection of traditional cookies for Christmas.

Here the traditional food is a whole pork ham with sweetened potato casserole, carrot casserole, casserole made of swedish turnip, cold smoked salmon and various other fish, a salad made of potato, onion, beetroot, carrots and pickled cucumber, various patées...

rabidrabbit said:
Lutefisk is the traditional food that just won't die. Actually, it's dead... and rotting in lye, but a few people still eat rotten cod.
Lefse is a much more popular holiday treat, mainly because it's actually edible.

Neither of these are complete meals, but they're traditional and show up during the Holidays.

MPI said:

Absolutely not!!! Good, honest, proper, *traditional* British food ranks up there with any in the world, and is certainly better than any of the haute cuisine muck that the French have foisted on the world (mercy boo-coop lads!). But then traditional French food is better than the poncy muck you get served in Paris restaurants.

Problem is that in the recent past it's been very hard to actually experience proper British food. All you can get these days in public eating places here is a horrendous mish-mash of the quick & dirty with stuff pretending to be haute cuisine. A number of high-profile chefs have been making noises about getting back to trad English food, but this was mostly fluff.

ZoinKs! said:
rabidrabbit said:
Lutefisk is the traditional food that just won't die. Actually, it's dead... and rotting in lye, but a few people still eat rotten cod.
Lefse is a much more popular holiday treat, mainly because it's actually edible.

Ah, you're up in swedish country? IMHO, lutfisk isn't as much stomach-turning as it is pointless, completely tasteless with the texture of a wet woolen sock.

Ah, lutefisk. We eat it here too. But often it is eaten in the after christmas eve days.
It's really good, with white sauce, potatoes, pepper and salt. It just the stink when you cook it that puts many people off.

My favourite part of the Christmas dinner is (drum roll)... Pigs in Blankets!

For those of you uninitiated, these pork sausages wrapped in bacon then roasted along with the Turkey. Lincolnshire sausages are my favourite (perhaps because I'm a Yellowbelly i.e. someone from Lincolnshire :p ). They contain just enough floor scrapings/grit to add a je ne sais quoi to the flavour. ;)

Mariner said:
My favourite part of the Christmas dinner is (drum roll)... Pigs in Blankets!

baby_peekaboo.jpg

... :?::!:

I was born in Cuba and our traditional Christmas dinner is a whole pig roasted in a pit in the backyard, black bean and rice, yucca (a rot that is boiled and served with a warm garlic Vinaigrette. As for dessert we have turron, flan, guava paste and cheese. This year I will be making a white chocolate cheesecake. Also our Christmas dinner is December 24 not the 25th.

Back