Can Xbox handle MGS2?

I think ERP argued about this once, because vertex shaders have to have an exact same number of vertices for input and output - if you point input to some randomly changed memory address, you get just what you need - a free fenerator (ERP, please correct me if I misunderstood this)

Yeah I remember that too (a little debate between ERP and fresh). I believe he also mentioned something along the lines of just reading a random number from a single address as well...

I had wondered how well that would work (and rather curious about how much bus chat that might lead up to). I personally would rather just generate verts from a perlin noise map (more natural looking patterns)...

I guess you're just profiting from the pretransform cache

Although there are lots of fetches, the fact that the verts are already cached ensures that the bus activity is lower.
Ah well, by DX10 I reckon there will be no difference tween vertex shaders and pixel shader apart from the output of one being the input of the other...

Take a look at Splinter Cell for what MGS2 could be if Kojima-san had spent 3 years with an XDK

Well the programmers behind MGS2 pulled quite a good looking game from the ps2. I'd assume their skill would allow their game with 3yr xbk to be at halo2/Doom3 level... or maybe go beyond those....

There's way too many PS2 --> XBOX ports that look much worse on 'Box and run at a lower framerate. It's probably because PS2 games are so heavily optimized for the unique graphics architecture of the PS2 that it would take a total rewrite of the graphics engine to get decent performance on a GC/BOX/PC, so they just let it suck.

Splinter Cell's graphics are better than almost everything else out there... no surprise considering that it is using the Unreal2 engine.

Back