Call Of Duty 3 - Reviews

I can believe it. Frankly I thought COD2 looked better. The level I played was 30fps and below, except when there were no enemies present. Wasn't that impressed at all really.

Are you playing the retail version of CoD3?

just wanted to revisit this again because I am consistently wowed by the graphics.

again 2nd only to GoW on the 360 right now IMO.

the thing I noticed most last night was the anti-aliasing. this thing is soooo smooth looking and the frame rate (allegedly 60fps) is pretty steady, not to mention the lighting, smoke and particle effects.

the online MP is extremely cool and the physics and interaction of the vehicles and bodies is really well done with amazing explosions and effects.

I'm impressed. Blows CoD2 out of the water IMO and I owned and played that game from launch up until the release of 3. :)

a few small photos from varius setups.

01ok0.jpg

02tj8.jpg

03xw7.jpg

04zs5.jpg

Five more here:

And if you haven't picked it up yet, it's $39 at Circuit City this week. (for the XBox 360, sorry, no mention of the PS3 version)

Some of those shots look nice, but the ground textures in this shot :???: Could be the shot/TV, but it appears pretty bland and pixelated.

well I didn't say it was perfect. ;)

pretty danged good. Besides your far too busy watching stuff blow up all around with debris flying everywhere to notice. :)

Is the game using anti-aliasing or is that just the photo? (on the right with the shadow next to the wall)

edit: for the "bland" photo

Is the game using anti-aliasing or is that just the photo? (on the right with the shadow next to the wall)

well that's what prompted me to bump this thread because It looks smooth as butter on my HDTV (1080i). I see no jaggies.

of course I don't have kyleb's eyes ;) but it looks like that in game.

for all you FPS players out there I noticed something last night.

I don't know if this has been done in other games in multiplayer but.... after a match on a certain map, if that map is chosen again (not changed form the lobby), it reloads the state of the map just as it was prior to the match ending.

for example, if mines had been placed, they are still there, if smoke had been thrown just prior to the match ending, it is still dissipating when you return. the vehicles are all reset to default, but the feel of a war torn, alive, battlefield is present. Of course it helps that coming back in from the lobby, the map loads pretty quickly as well. :D

for all you FPS players out there I noticed something last night.

I don't know if this has been done in other games in multiplayer but.... after a match on a certain map, if that map is chosen again (not changed form the lobby), it reloads the state of the map just as it was prior to the match ending.

for example, if mines had been placed, they are still there, if smoke had been thrown just prior to the match ending, it is still dissipating when you return. the vehicles are all reset to default, but the feel of a war torn, alive, battlefield is present. Of course it helps that coming back in from the lobby, the map loads pretty quickly as well. :D

That is pretty cool. Interesting to see the reviews for this and CoD2. Kind of leaves me scratching my head. The SP seems to get knocked for lack of soul, but the the overall vidual experience (graphics, framerate) seem to be better and the online seems to be uniformly agreed to be substantially better. And FPS have been kind of thin this last year.

My feedback:

Having never played a COD game before I didn't know what I was in for but the cheap price of $39.99 at CC got me to buy it. Played through the first 3 levels this morning and I must say I'm VERY impressed! Forget the graphics (they are awesome and no slowdowns) the audio is the real killer! My surround got a great work out. Oh man, the first chapter where you drop into the hot zone, it was ridiculous!

With Gears around, CoD3 and RB6:Vegas just aren't getting enough credit but these 2 games rock also! The rumble effects added to the amazing sound and graphics really make this game intense. Oh and the there is ton of action going on at all times. Frankly I'm shocked that the 360 is as good as it is at handling it all without slowdowns. or sacrifices. The gameplay looks every bit as good as the cut scenes.

Only and I mean ONLY complaint I have is a lack of a cover system which is likely because I came from GoW and RB6:Vegas before this but it's a bit more disappointing seeing that the enemy and your team take cover, just not you.......

I'm not too impressed with CoD3. While that image posted earlier with the rays if light coming through the clouds looks good in a screenshot, it looks very unnatural in the game. One moment the rays aren't there, then if you take a step forward they immediately appear. It feels gimmicky. In fact, the game basically just feels like it needs more polish. Lots of clipping issues, AI getting "stuck", running in mid air, etc.

CoD2 was much more polished and is an overall better game in my opinion.

Back