Call Of Duty 3 - Reviews

groper

Regular
First review is coming from kikizo.

http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/xbox360/callofduty3_p1.asp

The first and most striking aspect of Call of Duty 3 is the graphics. Smacking you in the face at a near flawless sixty frames per second throughout, it's easily one of the best looking games we've seen on Xbox 360 to date. The Treyarch guys have outdone themselves with jaw-dropping level of detail; your field of vision contains such a stunning array of soldiers and effects at any one time that you'll definitely need to stop for a moment to take it all in. Soldier animation is particularly impressive to the point that you could show COD3 to your own 'war veteran' grandfather and he wouldn't question this as 'real' with his dodgy old vision.

Weather effects such as torrential rain and lightning look amazing while depth of field optics make the view down the barrel of your gun look especially sexy, with a pull of the trigger also lighting up the impressive weapon detail, right down to serial number carved into the deadly black metal.

The game world presents to you a gritty, night-time wasteland like St Germain sur Sèves, as well as it does a warm, sun-soaked town like St Lo or an open, idyllic area of greenery that looks more like something from Halo, but every environment is full of thoughtful graphical touches including dynamic lighting, fire and heat blur and smoke that looks so natural and convincing you can practically choke on it.

Indoor buildings and houses are wonderful and look like they're structurally weak, even though attempts to actually blown them further apart are often in vain. But authenticity is rife; witness the addresses and stamps on envelopes of scattered, unopened mail, the brickwork of a half-bombed building and even the carpet looks like it's out of WWII. Sure, we weren't there at the time but we bet it all looked like this. Even pieces of discarded bread look suitably French. The point is, suspension of disbelief is rarely broken, and even a close-up examination of blades of grass or barbed wire will keep you immersed.

A nice physics system adds a more tangible feel to the world, and grenades bounce as you would expect while tasty-looking explosions and ragdoll soldiers are present and correct. There are, however, a couple of embarrassing clipping bugs here and there, leaving a dead guy resting on a block of nothing, and sometimes you'll get 'stuck' in between a set of invisible restrictions which any FSP player knows is frustrating and a unrealistic for a few moments until you eventually waggle and jump out of the position.

In conclusion: It's certainly one of the best looking Xbox 360 titles to date, but FPS gamers have more choice than they did when Call of Duty 2 wiped the floor with its rivals this time last year, and if you like a bit of sci-fi with your shooter then COD3 won't stand up to its Holiday rivals this time. It's difficult not to recommend COD3 though, for its instantly impressive action and many memorable moments, that form a large part of a compelling overall package.

GRAPHICS: 10.0
SOUND: 7.2
GAMEPLAY: 7.6
DEPTH: 6.8
PRES/TION: 7.0
OVERALL : 7.8

7.8 is a very good note. Higher notes should be exclusive for awesome and exceptional games.

10.0 for graphics is an awesome achievement though. On gameplay videos it did look impressive, but I didn't think it's so good. I'd have to play the game myself to say that I agree or disagree with reviewer.

For some reason I expect many people to nit-pick these nearly flawless 60fps.

Can't decide if I want to pick this up or not -- Treyarch scares me and outside of graphics, I'm a little concerned.

I'll have Resistance (and GoW if I break down and pick it up -- not super excited for it quite yet) so I'm not really sure I'll need/want more FPS/shooter gaming this year.

Out of curiosity though, what *other* FPS are Kikizio talking about when they say: "COD3 won't stand up to its Holiday rivals this time"? GoW? That's not really a first person game. Resistance? That's not a 360 title, so it'd be nonsensical to speak of that in a 360 review. Is there anything else I'm missing?

R6 Vegas and Fear.

Ah, okay - I guess I neglected FEAR because I already played it a year ago and R6 games aren't my style so much. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what they were; I knew I was missing some games.

The Wii version runs at 60fps too.

Is this the game that supposedly only hit 30fps on PS3 (with X360+ graphics) or am I thinking of another?

Im suprised the MP portion of the game was not mentioned here. From what I read it has been revamped includes vehicles etc and is much improved over COD 2 MP. If true then COD 3 should be at the top along with the others this holiday season.

One note I was really disappointed about was the inclusion of Co-Op. At this stage and with Xbox Live all future games that have multiple teammates A.I. or otherwise should include it along with a single player campaign.

One note I was really disappointed about was the inclusion of Co-Op. At this stage and with Xbox Live all future games that have multiple teammates A.I. or otherwise should include it along with a single player campaign.

Well for some reason, no WWII game has had co-op ever. Somehow, developing squad A.I. is less difficult than inserting a second player. But hey, I'm not a developer.

Alstrong:

"Well for some reason, no WWII game has had co-op ever. Somehow, developing squad A.I. is less difficult than inserting a second player. But hey, I'm not a developer."

Actually A.I. is more difficult. The sad thing is a game like this just begs for a co-op option. Can you imagine hooking up with some buddies and charging the hill on Xbox Live? I understand how they want to stay close to actual events but then again it can be done with co-op as well.

If memory serves me correct I think the next Brothers In Arms game (and maybe Medal of Honor?) will have a co-op option. Im not totally sure on this but I thought I had read it somewhere.

Out of curiosity though, what *other* FPS are Kikizio talking about when they say: "COD3 won't stand up to its Holiday rivals this time"? GoW? That's not really a first person game.

In regards to perspective it isn't a "first person" game.

Yet the basic mechanics remain FPS (First Person Shooter) though. Of course it has adapted the advantages of behind the shoulder (or in this case, 3rd person) to allow more interaction in the environment, like taking cover, but when moving around and aiming (when not under cover) it responds just like an FPS.

Personally I see it as a tactical FPS that strongly discouraged run and gun and strongly encourages taking cover (and the alternate cover shooting positions). But this would not be the first FPS to adapt new mechanics (like cover, leaning, unconventional movements like rolling and attacks like kicking, and so forth) nor the first to use cover/3rd person.

I guess it all ends up being moot as it really depends if you like the game or not, what to classify it. But something like "3rd person shooter" doesn't work well as traditional 3rd person games lack many of the "FPS" style mechanics and nuances to "shooting" and often lean more toward platforming, whereas Gears of War definately seems to fall on the side of tactical "FPS".

Whatever we decide to call it, it looks like the evolution of what PDZ and GRAW set out to do with various degrees of success. Both of those are FPS by most standards. It does seem yet another sub-genre in FPS is emerging.

/end pointless pontificating

Poor COD3 gets no love with GOW around :(

After Gears and RB6:Vegas, I'll give this a try. A damn demo would be nice! This isn't a blind buy.

Whatever we decide to call it, it looks like the evolution of what PDZ and GRAW set out to do with various degrees of success. Both of those are FPS by most standards. It does seem yet another sub-genre in FPS is emerging.

/end pointless pontificating

I consider most games with lots of weapons and a mostly static character (and mostly static camera-- be it first person or third person) an FPS. Sort of like how anything where your character goes through significant power growth is likely to be called an RPG of sorts.

I consider GoW to fall under the FPS moniker -- it may not be a strict FPS, but you've got the basics of an FPS in it (TPS at least!). My comment earlier was more just thinking out loud.

Poor COD3 gets no love with GOW around :(

After Gears and RB6:Vegas, I'll give this a try. A damn demo would be nice! This isn't a blind buy.

CoD3 has sort of fallen off my excitement list -- there's too much gauranteed good stuff out there this winter to worry about second tier stuff!

After GoW (I think I'll pick it up this week -- reviews and such are getting to me, even though the same happened with GRAW and I got real bored real fast) and Resistance, I may try it (next year some time).

Back