Calibrated my monitor today.. hmm

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Using the adobe gamma tool and this site http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/
It seems I really had to compromise since adjusting the gamma screws up my adjustment of blacks and whites.
I got it pretty close, but adjusting the black so I can see a difference between the 0 brightness block and the 10 makes it so the the blacks aren't very black.. they're noticeably brighter than the non scan area of my crt.
I always knew this monitor wasn't very bright at max brightness (by doing a thx test) but the gamma curve at default was off.
It was in the 3.XX range.
Of course I could blame my BFG 6600GT hehehe.

So how many people actually calibrate their monitors using a similar method- gamma brightness and contrast, and how far off was the default config?
This applies to lcd user also ;)
Oh and why would the gamma curve by in such a high range from the factory?
It is an older non flat crt... cirva 1998 but it should be somewhat close to 2.2.

Jawed said:
I always recommend these charts :

http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/evaluation/gamma_space/index.htm

to verify the quality of the calibration.

If you have set your monitor to gamma 2.2, then you should see no colour tints in any part of the corresponding test chart.

Jawed
Thanks, that allowed me to fine tune a bit.
With this particular monitor I can get close but I still see a tiny ammount of color on the red and blue bars, which show up as really light green and blue.
Close enough though since its an old monitor and low end.. .26mm dotpitch.
I want a nice 21" flat screen crt :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can certainly recommend geting yourself a calibration device if you are serious about getting your monitor set up correctly.
I got myself a Colorvision Spyder2 and it does make quite a difference. Not only does it help set up your monitor correctly. It also profiles your display so that if you do any photo printing etc. your prints will look the same as the image on your monitor.

CC

Back