Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

"Should be easy to support" the phrase every project manager says to an engineer which they absolutely dread. No, it's not that easy to support. Like people saying "Why isn't there Metro Office already, shouldn't that be failure easy to port?"

Well, what is the point of WinRT then? (And I am an engineer, not a project manager)

Well, what is the point of WinRT then? (And I am an engineer, not a project manager)

The point is the design framework and how apps interact with system resources won't vary widely between platforms. WinRT is extremely similar to WinPRT used in Windows Phone 8 and the likely named WinXRT used in the Xbox One. I say they are similar in that 80-90% of code can likely be shared, but they aren't exactly the same since there are different hooks into the OS it's running on. It's not write once, run everywhere for apps, but there is definitely enough code sharing to make it worth developers time. For example, you should only need to write the code to interact with a web server for authentication once, but UI code will of course be different.

Games should be 95% the same, again the only difference being some minor control differences and UI differences (scaling appropriate to screen size). It's not he exact same binary, it's just 3 very similar ones.

It's difficult to manipulate sales, unless the company send folks out to retail to buy products on shelves. Unlikely. Sales will be made when there is an actual demand. You can inflate perceived demand by channel stuffing but that's shipments, not sales. And if one of the consoles sells badly, you can't get away with "we're sold out" because too many places report actual sales figures.

It's difficult to hype or spin this because too many retails channels report actual sales figures. If, whatever reason, the PlayStation 4 is outselling the Xbox One, that's bad for Microsoft.

In some places it won't be mentioned because all stores care about is how much stock THEY have that is sold out. in this case it would be Competitive sales figures VS limited Stock supply, and what i'm saying is that in a limited stock supply situation fads are created.....but if you want to get the real picture of sales figures one would have to look that up.

In the ps3's case it was in limited supply and i do remember people killing each other over that back in the day, and all that did was create more hype. where i'm at even with 300,000 units shipped things could be pretty hectic for relaters at launch. It would translate to poor over all sales figures but demand would gradually grow because of the small supply.

when there's an abundance of something lot of people usually wait for good deals because they know they can get it at any time. A limited supply has worked before in many cases especially when Black Friday hits.

I believe that Microsoft are behind on software tools, bkillian has said as much, but production? I've not seen any tangible evidence of that. It depends what their component supply chain is, how many consoles they can produce a week and the target number units they want available at launch. I personally do not believe any of these last minute spec change rumours, I think Microsoft are likely already in production or about to go into full production.

I don't know their schedule in particular, that was one of my questions asked on this thread. what i do know is that engineers were still in the lab for the Esram with new information contrary to the leaks, as of a couple weeks back. on the basis of "near final silicon" information, time in the lab for testing could slow down mass production, since you can't release hardware that hasn't been tested "effect" to run games that were developed on specific devkits.

but anyways, the partitioning of microsoft's time is something none of us knows as of yet, but on the basis of a November launch with at least a million units expected, one would say that they are behind on schedule if they're still tinkering with the very unique memory architecture that's planed for the console.

MS pitch XB1 to small businesses. It's a pretty silly proposition (especially considering Kinect is coming to PC). £430 for a console instead of a laptop for video chat? Every laptop can connect to most TVs without additional hardware.

Kinect is only coming to PCs for developing & it's $400 by itself. For $500 you get a PC & an advanced hands-free camera/mic. Sounds like a good value proposition for businesses to me. Come on everybody knows that the Xbox has secretly been evolving into a Windows PC.

Tommy McClain

Kinect is only coming to PCs for developing & it's $400 by itself. For $500 you get a PC & an advanced hands-free camera/mic. Sounds like a good value proposition for businesses to me. Come on everybody knows that the Xbox has secretly been evolving into a Windows PC.

Tommy McClain

Secretly? Xbox has been the Trojan horse for getting a PC into the living room since its inception. The only reason Microsoft got into gaming with the Xbox is because Sony made hyperbolic comments about turning the PS2 into a living room PC.

Secretly? Xbox has been the Trojan horse for getting a PC into the living room since its inception. The only reason Microsoft got into gaming with the Xbox is because Sony made hyperbolic comments about turning the PS2 into a living room PC.

Yup and quite literally the Xbox 1 ... Original Xbox was a PC.

Of course now it is really about MS services and recurring monthly fees and such

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only speak to what the original team set out to accomplish and it wasn't putting a windows PC in the living room. It was very much about providing a console experience using PC components.
Microsoft certainly want an experience in the living room, but that doesn't equate to PC in the living room.

In some places it won't be mentioned because all stores care about is how much stock THEY have that is sold out. in this case it would be Competitive sales figures VS limited Stock supply, and what i'm saying is that in a limited stock supply situation fads are created.....but if you want to get the real picture of sales figures one would have to look that up.
It's dicey, I remember Sony tried to spin the "demand is outstripping supply" line at the launch of the PlayStation 3, but it wasn't because there was crazy demand there was just poor supply. Nobody bought it and they just looked incompetent being unable to produce consoles in volume. Admittedly, it was better come March 2007 when it launched in Europe.

But if one company announces sale figures, and they are good, and the other company does not. The presumption, right or wrong, will be their sales figures are bad. Nobody wants to admit to supply issues, both narratives (no demand, no supply) can do more harm than good.

but anyways, the partitioning of microsoft's time is something none of us knows as of yet, but on the basis of a November launch with at least a million units expected, one would say that they are behind on schedule if they're still tinkering with the very unique memory architecture that's planed for the console.

I'm hoping both consoles launch within a week of each other. That would be awesome :)

But if one company announces sale figures, and they are good, and the other company does not. The presumption, right or wrong, will be their sales figures are bad. Nobody wants to admit to supply issues, both narratives (no demand, no supply) can do more harm than good.

well yeah they would, but in a limited supply the sales will go up once after the reception of the demand. whether the manufacture wants to share figures that's up to them. In Nintendo's case for the Wii-U in which had enough to supply the demand but was stagnant, information was still controlled.

what I think is that both manufactures will gather sufficient reception on the demand, ship what they can, and share figures when they reach a level that pleases them.

I'm hoping both consoles launch within a week of each other. That would be awesome :)

It would but that might be too precise to pull off.

--- --- --- --- ---

In The WIRED interview demonstrating the new UI for the XB1, the lady did quote the target being by 7 months away, so from may 21st that means it would be by Late November (unspecified). though the differences of Late November and December are minuscule and could change since official dates were left out.

so if all goes well it's November and if compromises were made then it's December, either way the projected dates are right next to each other.

Did GS have a different policy for XB1 preorders? Why would PS4 be over sold and XB1 preorders not be in similar jeopardy? Serious question; common sense says both would be oversold if GS policy was simply to accept orders or that pre-orders would have been taken based off GS expected allotment of launch systems. So what your saying implies Sony is misrepresenting the number of units which are going to be available at launch or GS as a matter of internal policy decided to oversell their actual allotment which again raises the question why would they have a different policy for PS4 than XB1.

On a related note we've heard rumors of yield issues as well as possible last minute updates to XB1 specs, wouldn't either of those potentially negatively impact the number of units available at launch? I ask because PS4 specs appear to be tied down and Sony has a very good idea what their demand will be at launch and if need be they can push up the actual manufacturing to accommodate demand if it is greater than they predicted where as MS might possibly still be finalizing their design.

MS was very clear on Day one edition numbers . Any console preordered that's day one will be delievered on day 1. MS let them go wild on non day one consoles. But none of those are guaranteed for launch day.

Sony on the other hand never split the two and so gamestop just kept preorders coming in. At one point sony told them it was to much but it was past the point of what they can deliever.

You will see in a few months

Sony on the other hand never split the two and so gamestop just kept preorders coming in. At one point sony told them it was to much but it was past the point of what they can deliever.

Sony also split day 1 orders out. As a matter of fact, most companies sold out of their initial allotment very quickly. Amazon at one point stopped taking day one pre-orders and then started again when Sony said they would get more consoles.

What Sony did do was to tell them to take as many orders as they wanted for day 1 orders while they firmed up the actual release numbers. When they reached a certain point, Sony told them to stop. This was done because Sony was relatively confident they could meet the demand at launch.

It is possible that Gamestop oversold. It is also possible that Sony knows far more about their supply chain than we do and actually plan on meeting all of these orders. Personally, I lean towards the second option.

Really?! They've no forecasts for how many units they'll have, and are blindly guessing what numbers to give the retail outlets for preorders with no idea what they'll be making? they've got to have a pretty good idea as reasonable targets at the least barring hang-ups, and as there isn't anything like blue laser diodes to worry about this gen, they must be fairly accurate estimations. I find it hard to believe that, Sony at least with decades of manufacturing experience behind them, they'll be completely clueless to what their production runs will be outputting over the coming months.

Sadly I think maybe late Nov for Xbox. One of the Amazon dates was Nov 27.

Dont see any December.

It might be sad for customers but from a business perspective releasing the console 2 days before Black Friday it's pretty much ideal.

Also it might be just be a placeholder date.

MS pitch XB1 to small businesses. It's a pretty silly proposition (especially considering Kinect is coming to PC). £430 for a console instead of a laptop for video chat? Every laptop can connect to most TVs without additional hardware.
I think that's a neat idea. You've got a system apparently purposed for VC that can see a whole room and focus on a speaker. "Always on" and ready to display presentations on a big screen somewhere, whenever.

It still allows access for multiple users without multiple subscriptions?

Buy a $500 gaming console and declare it as a business expense.... because it can do skype. Wow, that's perfectly honest accounting.

Back