Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

It was said. Eurogamer covered it where the Polish developers CD Projekt Red who appeared on MS's E3 stage showing Witcher 3 would not be able to play their own game on XB1 when it launches. Of course in truth, XB1 will come to these countries at a later date, and it's just a case of stock management for limited launch supply. There might even be the same thing somewhat in the States, with some States getting far fewer amounts of stock relative to population, although I guess Ms is keen to secure a strong foothold in the US against the PS4 so will balance stock accordingly.

At least this type information tends to leak ... lot of outside people involved.

Nobody said they are abandoning. People just complained that non-US portion of the market is not treated with the same importance. In EU we are going to pay premium price for the thing and one of the main features is one that seems to be US-centric because in EU fewer use cable box. In addtion unlike the US which is one huge continent-like territory treated like one country with unified providers and channels selling the same TV brain toxic waste to everyone, the EU is one continent with multiple countries each having regional channels, regional interests, regional providers etc. that dont care much about reality shows, fantasy football, political misinform... debates I mean, ads etc. That aspect of the XBone is pretty much a useless feature for most of us in the EU
edit: And what did we get to compensate for that in return? Well....nothing. XBone is another PS4, just with different exclusives

Also check the countries that XBone will support at launch

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Just 21. You dont see EU. You see some EU countries. US is one region. If you are from the US you cant really get how many from the EU feel when some policies and features seem to forget even further that there are regional complications in the EU

And then its this
The Xbox One is supported in 21 countries, but you might not get to use it if yours isn’t on the list
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...ntries-you-might-not-get-to-use-the-xbox-one/

Of course this may no longer be valid any more after the policy changes. But you get why many where pissed

Edit: And to tell you the truth I am worried that if I purchase XBone I will no longer be able to use my XB Live account since my country was never supported by Live and I was using a foreign account

Umm... The US cable market isn't unified at all. In fact, far from it, it's completely disorganized. And I don't think you know how the TV thing was built at all, since it was designed to work with ANY cable/satellite box that outputs a signal via HDMI and is controlled by IR. all that's needed is for the Xbox One to have a database of command codes and guide information for your area and it will work with ZERO input from your local TV provider. There's nothing they can do to stop it either.

Plus, honestly, replace the NFL in that TV demo with FIFA and the European crowd would go nuts.

Not saying they are wrong or right - but if I am correct in the post he is referring too, the person in question claims to be a professional analyst at a large banking firm that specializes in consumer electronics. The person has been compiling pricing lists for all 3 consoles in order to provide financial guidance for their investing firm around the launch of the consoles, and most of their information comes from sources within the supply chain. It also isn't an individual effort - but rather the effort of a team dedicated to this sort of technology analysis.

If that is true, then the person would be in a position to know and/or aquire this information. However, I take it with a grain of salt. Without some sort of confirmation, there is no way to know for sure if the person is who they say they are.

People with very accurate information aren't going to give that info away for free.

Umm... The US cable market isn't unified at all. In fact, far from it, it's completely disorganized. And I don't think you know how the TV thing was built at all, since it was designed to work with ANY cable/satellite box that outputs a signal via HDMI and is controlled by IR. all that's needed is for the Xbox One to have a database of command codes and guide information for your area and it will work with ZERO input from your local TV provider. There's nothing they can do to stop it either.
You dont have common channels across the whole US? MS showed features that are integrated within the channel.
Plus, honestly, replace the NFL in that TV demo with FIFA and the European crowd would go nuts.
But they didnt. Until they do the European has not been convinced yet

It was said. Eurogamer covered it where the Polish developers CD Projekt Red who appeared on MS's E3 stage showing Witcher 3 would not be able to play their own game on XB1 when it launches. Of course in truth, XB1 will come to these countries at a later date, and it's just a case of stock management for limited launch supply. There might even be the same thing somewhat in the States, with some States getting far fewer amounts of stock relative to population, although I guess Ms is keen to secure a strong foothold in the US against the PS4 so will balance stock accordingly.
But Poland is not US soil. It repeats the problem I mentioned about Europeans. So hypothetically the US resident could imagine but he doesnt. He doesnt face the same issue. And neither is Live support limited to some states AFAIK

Can a console completely dominate once again?

You dont have common channels across the whole US? MS showed features that are integrated within the channel.
[quote[
But they didnt. Until they do the EU has not been convinced yet[/QUOTE]

Wait, are you concerned that Microsoft doesn't have guide data for EU countries? The Xbox One doesn't replace your cable/satellite/OTA box.

And they've got 6 months to show off some features for European audiences. If only there was a games conference in Europe before launch which the could do that... *cough* Gamescom *cough*.

And they've got 6 months to show off some features for European audiences. If only there was a games conference in Europe before launch which the could do that... *cough* Gamescom *cough*.

Are there even substantial conferences in Europe? Yes, Gamescom is one, but as far as I am aware, the majority of public awareness, even in the EU, is centered around what is shown and unrevealed at E3 and TGS. That at least, is what most media here seem to pick up as well.

This just further highlights the need for better communication and points to some criticism about why they should handle the EU region right, even at conferences such as E3 or especially their own console reveal. The whole world is watching and due to that, has already started drawing conclusions.

Wait, are you concerned that Microsoft doesn't have guide data for EU countries? The Xbox One doesn't replace your cable/satellite/OTA box.

What I am saying is that MS has said or showed almost nothing regarding the European support. It is only expected that the European and residents in non-US territory would feel the way they do. You cant expect them to go nuts over the possibility that MS will announce something (like FIFA), before MS even announces a support and how many countries will be able to enjoy it. They havent talked publicly about it yet.
Their so far communication was US centric. People will respond to what they see
And no the majority of us dont have a set top box to talk with our XBone

Alot of the reason for this MS said in an article which i dont have on hand is that, language packs for Kinect have to get up to snuff prior to launch. So Romanian vs, estonian vs latvian language recognition has been a bitch for Kinect and they want ot get it right before releasing the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joker ;)

Just because I turned my back on PC and never looked back doesn't mean I'm ignorant about what PC gaming is. As I mentioned, I have a PC I use at work, so I'm well versed in the experience that comes with - at the most basic level - maintaining a simple Windows OS. I also know what HDMI is and yes, I have hooked up a PC to my receiver in the past although not to play games. As I said - I don't care for the experience - the experience you've simply ignored that is tiresome and just works on the consoles. I don't mind the trade-off that comes with it. PCs might have come a long way since last century but it still lacks in the area where consoles excell: Comfortable, plug & play, optimized for the livingroom and an online-identity that works across all games. It just works. This may also come to a shock to you, but I don't care for the exclusive content on the PC either - as a PS consumer, I have far more exclusives that interest me more (this may be different to Xbox users because they are effectively ex-PC so perhaps for them, going back to the PC as a gaming platform is easier and makes more sense). I still wouldn't for the love of god ever put such a big noisy PC in my livingroom - not when gaming on a console is close enough and doesn't have this inherent flaw.

The difference between PC-TV gaming and Console-TV gaming is like going to Applebees for a beer and going to the local pub/watering hole for a beer. All the hard edges have been rounded off, from the parking lot to the bathroom. Its just a matter of preference. Some people don't want to worry about nvidia driver release x, like some people don't want to deal with creepy tattoo'd alcoholic folk. Its all in what your looking for. A prepackaged experience or not. Personally I gave up on most PC gaming when $500 gfx card became mid-level, the game communities seemed dead, mods seemed to be much less popular. I've never had hooking a PC up to a TV become anything other than awkward in my experience.

Yeah. PC is zero threat to console gaming. If it were, it would have happened a long time ago.

Mobile is more of a threat to console gaming, but I still feel that people want deeper experiences to go along with their casual mobile gaming.

LOL. Exactly. What is the more likely scenario:

1. MS haven't had the right forum (ie. Gamescom) to demonstrate the pro-EU stuff.

2. MS are shooting the finger at their EU fan base, just to spite them in the pursuit of megalomania.

Remember that MS sold 24 million X360s in Europe, about 30% of world-wide sales. They aren't going to abandon the EU.

The only people saying that MS is abandoning the EU are people that WANT it to be true or people that wear tinfoil hats.

What I am saying is that MS has said or showed almost nothing regarding the European support. It is only expected that the European and residents in non-US territory would feel the way they do. You cant expect them to go nuts over the possibility that MS will announce something (like FIFA), before MS even announces a support and how many countries will be able to enjoy it. They havent talked publicly about it yet.
Their so far communication was US centric. People will respond to what they see
And no the majority of us dont have a set top box to talk with our XBone

Can you point to the conference that outlines PS4 support for Europe please? I dont rememebr that info or focus at the reveal in February or E3.

I think you are kidding yourself if you believe the whole world (everything outside the US) hasn't been paying close attention to what's been happening at the biggest gaming expo in the world - E3. Press and gamers alike have been following up on that. It's only natural that the people feel left out as a consequence.

It's also not as if Microsoft publicly anounced that "we will target EU gamers on day X at Y). It's more likely that their full vision of the future is only possible in the US where they can take full advantage of how people tick there - obviously NFL, the TV integration etc. I think the more time passes by, the more it becomes clear that these things will not be a very big factor in the EU - namely for the reasons people have already noted; those being that the EU is much more diverse, there's are language barriers and the way how people are provided with TV. Adding to that, but the whole fantasy league thingy is not a big factor overhere either.

how in the hell would somebody on gaf know ps4 apu yields? gimme a break.

On Amazon right now XB1 launch day edition is still available, PS4 launch day edition hasn't been for some time. Where does that fit in?

You can order ps4 launch edition on Amazon.com. it just the demand is so great they have like 5 sku. At my local gamestop they are still taking ps4 preorders and they already 5:1 advantage to xbone.

Gaf is the source for a ton of leak info. The guy has been correct in the past with info but these are just estimates so take them with a grain of salt. The yield numbers he said came from a insiders source in the chip industry.

We also have the leak gamestop memo From friday that states the ps4 preorders "flood gates are open." That's less than a week after the gamestop CEO stated they would buy every ps4 Sony can make.

Can you point to the conference that outlines PS4 support for Europe please? I dont rememebr that info or focus at the reveal in February or E3.

There isn't any - and there doesn't need to be. PS4 doesn't deviate much from what EU PlayStation users are expecting. Read my post above. The press here focuses mainly on the big E3 expo and to some degree TGS. It's not a problem when you're offering much of the same. It becomes a problem when you start offering something new, something that just doesn't work as well as envisioned in the US. The Xbox One is leaving a lot of questions unanswered for us EU folks - except for the bit that it's the successor to the X360 and will have strong tie in with a better Kinect, a peripheral that is already known to us.

Sony hasn't showed anything that is 'exclusive to the US'. All the features shown work worldwide and left no questions unanswered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sony has been sponsor of UEFA for years. You see a lot of Playstation signage at European football matches.

Not sure if they sponsor FIFA events like the World Cup though.

Also believe they sponsored F1?

Yeah. PC is zero threat to console gaming. If it were, it would have happened a long time ago.

It's a threat to some extent, but piracy is still crazy on PC which holds the platform back as interesting to publishers (though sometimes great for self-publishers still, especially thanks to Steam), but right now the PC advantage is biggest, with the consoles having been out for so long that many PC hardware outperforms it, sometimes by a large margin. And services like Steam have improved the PC gaming experience quite a lot.

However, once the new consoles come out the hardware advantage will go away for a while again (yes you can build PCs that are faster, no there won't be enough of them for a while for that to matter much), and then we'll see a real test of how much stronger the PC market has become. I think it is in better shape than it was at the previous transition, but how much better will be interesting to see.

Mobile is more of a threat to console gaming, but I still feel that people want deeper experiences to go along with their casual mobile gaming.

I agree with this. People that play games on mobile now didn't buy HD consoles 3 years ago either. Wii is more directly impacted, I think.

However of course money spent is money spent. Some money that goes to tablets won't go to consoles, just as some money spent on tablets won't go to laptops, and some money spent on laptops won't go to desktops, etc. Time spent is the same.

Back