Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

A leak shows a retail memo saying preorders are wide open for PS4 - Sony are expecting to provide ample supply. I think the chances of anyone preordering a PS4 a good month before release not getting it at launch are slim (assuming preorders don't explode!).

the 360 also had a wide open preorder campaign. Then reality hit and people waited 4 months or so after launch for their preorders.

A leak shows a retail memo saying preorders are wide open for PS4 - Sony are expecting to provide ample supply. I think the chances of anyone preordering a PS4 a good month before release not getting it at launch are slim (assuming preorders don't explode!).

There was a rumor of Sony selling 16 million ps4 in 2013 :oops: gamestop exec was just quoted saying they would buy everyone Sony could make....guess Sony took them up on that.

Biggest launch in console history by far by the looks of it. Seems to be a huge advantage using standard parts this Gen.

the 360 also had a wide open preorder campaign. Then reality hit and people waited 4 months or so after launch for their preorders.
Given Sony's comments about not wanting to worldwide launch again after PS3 stock issues, and given the generally standard components in PS4, I doubt either that Sony would have difficulty making the thing, or the stupidity to sell stock they don't have and leave people waiting like last gen. The apparent change from limited launch stock to open preorders suggests confidence that must be based on real analysis of their situation rather than blind, wishful thinking.

Like a lot of the stuff floating around I'm not sure how valid that "leak" was.

There was also a "leak" gamestop was stopping XB1/PS4 preorders a few days ago, and as far as I know they've done neither yet.

It's just hard for me to believe a launch console is really going to be particularly plentiful. Even if they can get oodles of the SOC, there must be a million other potentially limiting components. Not to say I couldn't see them having say, 2X as much as Xbone, but I just dont see more than I dont know, a few hundred K for NPD. I dont even think that's ever happened.

It's just hard for me to believe a launch console is really going to be particularly plentiful. Even if they can get oodles of the SOC, there must be a million other potentially limiting components. Not to say I couldn't see them having say, 2X as much as Xbone, but I just dont see more than I dont know, a few hundred K for NPD. I dont even think that's ever happened.
Apple sold around 5 million units of the iPhone 5 in their launch weekend. Internationally. It's a very different world to 2006/07 when the PlayStation 3 launched and where Sony had issues with lasers for the Blu-ray drive.

If Sony are having any supply issues I'd put my money on GDDR5 but so far, zero rumours to this effect. And the credible rumours have been unusually on-the-nail this upcoming generation.

Apple sold around 5 million units of the iPhone 5 in their launch weekend. Internationally. It's a very different world to 2006/07 when the PlayStation 3 launched and where Sony had issues with lasers for the Blu-ray drive.

If Sony are having any supply issues I'd put my money on GDDR5 but so far, zero rumours to this effect. And the credible rumours have been unusually on-the-nail this upcoming generation.
An analysis on gaf stated the yields for ps4 apu were great. They were so good they lower the cost estimate by like 25%.

APU (CPU/GPU) - 65-80
8GB GDDR5 - 80-105
OS Chip (supposedly ARM based) - 10-18
Video encode/decode chip - 0 (included in OS chip, we figure)
Blu-ray drive - 25-35
Hard drive - 30-35
I/O - 9-12
Wireless chip + antenna - 4
HDMI+HDCP - 11-15
Other - 10-30
DS4 - 20-29
Mono headset - 3
Cabling/misc - 3

Total parts/silicon - 272-364

Other costs:

Internal PSU - 27-40 Cooling - 33-50 Assembly - 15-20

Total estimated system cost (no shipping and packaging) - 390-430 (Does not include PS Camera since it is not bundled)

Accessories:

PS4 Eye -12-20

All figures in USD.

Please, please, please remember that this is based on the specification only and cost prices that we know, without a PS4 in the hand there will be mistakes.

someone ask why the apu cost so little.

Based on cost of the wafer, yields, estimated die size and AMD's fee.

Cell cost so much because yields were very, very poor (mid twenties is what I looked up recently) and for RSX Sony got ripped off by Nvidia, who hasn't?

Take it with a grain of salt if you like. Only thing that looks off it the mic and usb.

domination = selling 2:1 or better
Well it's a possibility since ms seem to be focused on USA this time fully ignoring the rest of the world. They could get away with it if the xboned was the more powerful system but this time it looks to be quite a bit weaker. Yes us Americans we like to buy USA but we also like power we're not gonna settle for an inferior console

MS is not abandoning the rest of the world at all. It's hilarious that people think that just because they talked about TV and NFL for 1\2 an hour once.

That was my point, if you haven't pc gamed since the ps1 days then you don't know what pc gaming is like. It's the same as console really, my pc sits in a closet next to the tv just like my consoles used to. I plug an hdmi cable from it to the tv just like the consoles do. I play from the couch with a controller just like with the consoles. There's isn't any difference anymore, aside from games looking better, games running at higher frame rates and resolution, games being cheaper, pc turning on faster (2 seconds to come out from sleep mode), far more games, far more exclusives, and doing all the extra things pc's can do. Heck it takes longer for my tv to lock onto the hdmi signal than it does for the pc to come out of sleep mode. And with Steam's big picture mode I get a great 10 foot experience as well. It's not 1995 anymore.

Joker ;)

Just because I turned my back on PC and never looked back doesn't mean I'm ignorant about what PC gaming is. As I mentioned, I have a PC I use at work, so I'm well versed in the experience that comes with - at the most basic level - maintaining a simple Windows OS. I also know what HDMI is and yes, I have hooked up a PC to my receiver in the past although not to play games. As I said - I don't care for the experience - the experience you've simply ignored that is tiresome and just works on the consoles. I don't mind the trade-off that comes with it. PCs might have come a long way since last century but it still lacks in the area where consoles excell: Comfortable, plug & play, optimized for the livingroom and an online-identity that works across all games. It just works. This may also come to a shock to you, but I don't care for the exclusive content on the PC either - as a PS consumer, I have far more exclusives that interest me more (this may be different to Xbox users because they are effectively ex-PC so perhaps for them, going back to the PC as a gaming platform is easier and makes more sense). I still wouldn't for the love of god ever put such a big noisy PC in my livingroom - not when gaming on a console is close enough and doesn't have this inherent flaw.

Man it's like people who still think American cars are unreliable because of that 1981 Buick Skylark they used to own. Things have moved on. Why do you think for some people buying yet another games only playing console is a tough sell?

Tough world isn't it? ;)
BTW: I wasn't the one wondering. I was responding to Scott_Arm who was wondering what the value of buying a PS4 over a PC is.

Perhaps what it boils down to is that PlayStation users are far more vested in their platform than Xbox users are, Xbox users having a much stronger link to gaming on the PC. As many Xbox owners themselves have said, their prime reason for switching to consoles (namely the Xbox) was because that console offered the experience most similar to the PC - with similar games, just in the livingroom. I guess us PS folks have valued the "experience" factor and the exclusive games far longer to ever consider moving back the PC. I would agree that the Xbox and PC have more in common than the latter does with the PS. Maybe that's why you find it so hard to understand.

So, having said that, now that the Xbox One doesn't offer the best hardware nor does it offer the "online-only" experience with possibly large cloud support, it does make sense that Microsoft might be losing a big share of their market back to the PC?

I still think that's unlikely, since not anyone actually fancies the experience you get with gaming on the PC. And even as Xbox owners, there must be more to the experience than simply having good graphics to keep them staying on consoles rather than switching back to the PC, even if that argument obviously doesn't apply to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
An analysis on gaf stated the yields for ps4 apu were great. They were so good they lower the cost estimate by like 25%.

someone ask why the apu cost so little.

Take it with a grain of salt if you like. Only thing that looks off it the mic and usb.

Looks like Sony's "uninteresting" and "boring" engineering design for their console seems to have paid off in droves. I'm expecting them to have an unprecendented launch this time with the PS4.

I think they've done very well, and have vastly exceeded everyone's expectations, from the simplistic console design, to the RAM, to the dev tools, to the lack of DRM, to the excellent price, and now the availability of units at launch.

I think gamers should be praising MS tbh, as the Sony we are seeing now would likely never have existed if not for the competition MS brought with the 360, back when they were on their A-game.

Aggressive "pro-gamer" Sony is the best Sony.

Looks like Sony's "uninteresting" and "boring" engineering design for their console seems to have paid off in droves. I'm expecting them to have an unprecendented launch this time with the PS4.

If GCN has legs, and Sony go the with the-same-but-more-advanced-architecture in PlayStation 5, backwards compatibility may also be back on the table for very little effort -assuming anybody still values this in 6-7 years.

MS is not abandoning the rest of the world at all. It's hilarious that people think that just because they talked about TV and NFL for 1\2 an hour once.

It's not hilarious for MS, every time people think all the one about is just about TV. That's another sale lost, something MS, by recent actions, have shown they are painfully aware of.

Besides the time they spent doing has less to do with the reaction than the fact they 'whooped' their way through the consoles reveal based on that.

And including central features that won't even work out side of the states is not going to foster anything else amongst the 360 userbase, outside of the states, other than a sense of abandonment.

MS just really, really, screwed the message up and seem to be intent on continuing that strategy. And although you seem to have absolute belief in MS, that isn't going to stop them messing up and damaging their status in this market.

It "is" hilarious. Almost every E3 Game of the Show nominee on most sites is on Xbox One or Xbox 360. Go watch the E3 coverage and come back and tell me that Xbox One is all about TV and NFL football. Seriously guys, it's a bunch of nonsense to say that MS has "abandoned" Europe or games.

how in the hell would somebody on gaf know ps4 apu yields? gimme a break.

On Amazon right now XB1 launch day edition is still available, PS4 launch day edition hasn't been for some time. Where does that fit in?

Nobody said they are abandoning. People just complained that non-US portion of the market is not treated with the same importance. In EU we are going to pay premium price for the thing and one of the main features is one that seems to be US-centric because in EU fewer use cable box. In addtion unlike the US which is one huge continent-like territory treated like one country with unified providers and channels selling the same TV brain toxic waste to everyone, the EU is one continent with multiple countries each having regional channels, regional interests, regional providers etc. that dont care much about reality shows, fantasy football, political misinform... debates I mean, ads etc. That aspect of the XBone is pretty much a useless feature for most of us in the EU
edit: And what did we get to compensate for that in return? Well....nothing. XBone is another PS4, just with different exclusives

Also check the countries that XBone will support at launch

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Just 21. You dont see EU. You see some EU countries. US is one region. If you are from the US you cant really get how many from the EU feel when some policies and features seem to forget even further that there are regional complications in the EU

And then its this
The Xbox One is supported in 21 countries, but you might not get to use it if yours isn’t on the list
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...ntries-you-might-not-get-to-use-the-xbox-one/
The Verge’s correspondence with Microsoft seems to imply that users in any country not listed will be unable to use the Xbox One, even if they use a foreign account.

Meanwhile, on Microsoft’s Xbox Support 2 Twitter account, the company has sent mixed messages to followers.

Of course this may no longer be valid any more after the policy changes. But you get why many where pissed

Edit: And to tell you the truth I am worried that if I purchase XBone I will no longer be able to use my XB Live account since my country was never supported by Live and I was using a foreign account

how in the hell would somebody on gaf know ps4 apu yields? gimme a break.

Not saying they are wrong or right - but if I am correct in the post he is referring too, the person in question claims to be a professional analyst at a large banking firm that specializes in consumer electronics. The person has been compiling pricing lists for all 3 consoles in order to provide financial guidance for their investing firm around the launch of the consoles, and most of their information comes from sources within the supply chain. It also isn't an individual effort - but rather the effort of a team dedicated to this sort of technology analysis.

If that is true, then the person would be in a position to know and/or aquire this information. However, I take it with a grain of salt. Without some sort of confirmation, there is no way to know for sure if the person is who they say they are.

If you are from the US you cant really get how many from the EU feel when some policies and features seem to forget even further that there are regional complications in the EU
They can, quite easily. Imagine instead of supporting all 51 US states, MS said they were launching in 20 States first of all. The you could buy in New York State, but not Connecticut. If you get an XB1 shipped to your house, it work. Even if you leave next to the state border and cross 10 miles over into NYS and buy an XB1 and take it home, you won't be able to use it (that's how it was with the 24 hour check in, now removed).

They can, quite easily. Imagine instead of supporting all 51 US states, MS said they were launching in 20 States first of all. The you could buy in New York State, but not Connecticut. If you get an XB1 shipped to your house, it work. Even if you leave next to the state border and cross 10 miles over into NYS and buy an XB1 and take it home, you won't be able to use it (that's how it was with the 24 hour check in, now removed).
Is that a hypothetical scenario or something that MS said and people were aware of?

Back