Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, May 21, 2013.

1. -tkf-

Legend

While Denmark wasn't hit the hardest of the European countries it still hurt enough to scare people to hold back on purchase (consumer confidence) which is natural when your house or other property loses a lot of value.

However, right now the confidence is re-building and the new consoles is timed perfectly as is their price, the games are way to expensive, at least the suggested price is. A next gen game in Denmark costs between 90 and 110 dollars.. YEAH!

I can´t talk for other countries and i would expect spain for example to be a tough nut for MS and Sony.

Nintendo should really go for a WII-cheapU that was priced lower than the PS3 and 360. Next gen for half the price.. or something like it..

2. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

isnt that its the reverse? its not Euro price thats awful expensive, but its US price thats the lowest.

Lowyat, a malaysian forum made this table:

[​IMG]
    http://www.lowyat.net/2013/11/price...aysia-vs-selected-countries-around-the-world/
    US and JP - the country where the living standard is high - have the cheapest PS4

btw Indonesian official price is the same as EU price. But since last month reseller sell it about 50 Eur cheaper.

3. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

But which of these prices are including taxes? Sales, vat and what not? I think US prices are without taxes while EU includes VAT at least.

I noticed on amazon.com you have to pay 30 usd extra for warranty, at least in the eu there is waranty included.

4. wco81

Legend

The other thing is that in electronics, EU generally requires better warrantees than the US so the price probably reflects the additional costs of including a better warranty.

5. Rangers

Legend

VAT is higher than sales tax too that I know. Sales tax is probably 6-8% in USA depending on area.

Also I'm pretty sure there's generally about a 1yr manufacturer warranty on electronics in the USA too. In EU I thought it was 2 years.

Extended warranty offers are kind of a scam in USA, retailers push them because they are almost pure profit as few end up actually using them if they buy them. Also I the fine print they tend to only kick in once the manf. warranty ends, so they are only liable for 1yr of that "two year" warranty. Basically preying on consumer ignorance.

6. zed

zed
    Veteran

Just had a look in NZ (15% gst)
    ps4 = $565 (us $490) though all eletronics in nz come with a 2-3 yr guarantee by law

7. -tkf-

Legend

Denmark has a 25% tax on everything sold.

6 month warranty and after that 18 months of limited warranty, basically the customer has to prove the product was defect since it broke down. Sounds awful and it can be, but in most cases it's ok, for example i should expect a TV to last 24 months if it doesn't then the warranty should cover it.

8. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Oh baby Jesus not another US-EU-Tax-NoTax-Cheap-NotCheap discussion PLEASE!!!!!

9. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

https://forum.zenstudios.com/showth...FX2’s-Release-on-Xbox-One-and-Table-Transfers

Original issue now a non-issue and both MS and the dev need to do work. Still smells like infrastructure and this isn't (yet) an automatic process.

10. jayco

Regular

[​IMG]

Pricecut for Europe?

I don't think it will help them in sales, but this kind of competition is always wanted.

11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I find that tempting

12. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It would make sense in Spain, where Xbox has been very weak traditionally anyway versus Playstation, even last generation.

13. kalelovil

Regular

14. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Yeah, but was it a typo or a "that wasn't supposed to go live before Gamescom" type mistake?

15. kalelovil

Regular

The former if their explanation (linked above) is to be believed.

16. Rangers

Legend

Well they need sales help, especially in deep Europe. 349 in Europe and White Sunset Overdrive 399 bundle in states can help.

Feels a little panicky though, and maybe even too soon, I'd think maybe they'd at least wait a few months to fully see if 399 SKU gains traction.

17. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Deep Europe? As a European myself, that's a new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

18. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

In my time (30 A.D) the Black Forest or the Carpathian mountains were considered deep Europe.
    Monsters lurked in those places :yep2:

How's the situation now?
    Do werewolves still attack the caravans there?

19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nobody attacks gypsies. The tables have turned :yep2:

20. wco81

Legend

Better than Old Europe?