Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

I haven't heard of any live demoing for press after the event. Pretty sure the only real time footage was COD Ghosts.

huh? There's been a bunch of videos posted here in some thread or another showing Kinect in action and how they designed the console, etc.

True, it's not games, but that's not strictly what we're talking about. Because we all know that the One isn't going to play any games.

Anyway, here's a link to Wired demo'ing the One

http://video.wired.com/watch/new-xbox-design-exclusive-wired-video-398878

I don't know if Wired got an exclusive deal with MS on the post-reveal reviews of the One or what. I do know that the mainstream press has been universally positive (I don't think I've seen a single negative review), and I believe there's a bunch of Press Folk that were allowed to play with it after the official reveal. A list of those might be nice.

And, I will admit, it would be somewhat questionable if only Wired got exclusive rights to do so. Exclusive rights to video it is one thing, exclusive rights to actually interact with the product is another.

What's worse is how much poo pooing everyone was doing around the Sony Press Event in February from not showing the box. The Internet is fickle.

Funny, that was next on my list of things to do today. Go back and read through the PS4 reveal thread and see what people thought about their ideas and how they presented them at the time. Forum threads are a nice time capsule.

But yes, I totally agree, the Internet is fickle. Which is why all this talk about the One being 'dead in the water' or not being able to compete, etc is absurd. As someone mentioned somewhere, all it takes is going back to read the messages about the PS3/360 launch where the PS3 was going to simply crush the 360 because it was so over powering. At least then, they had hopes and rainbows and puppy dog tail dreams to support their beliefs.

Seems to me this time around the architecture is almost identical, the envisioned usability of the consoles is almost identical. The only difference is where the emphasis was placed and where those differences are actually significant.

Funny, that was next on my list of things to do today. Go back and read through the PS4 reveal thread and see what people thought about their ideas and how they presented them at the time. Forum threads are a nice time capsule.

But yes, I totally agree, the Internet is fickle. Which is why all this talk about the One being 'dead in the water' or not being able to compete, etc is absurd. As someone mentioned somewhere, all it takes is going back to read the messages about the PS3/360 launch where the PS3 was going to simply crush the 360 because it was so over powering. At least then, they had hopes and rainbows and puppy dog tail dreams to support their beliefs.

Seems to me this time around the architecture is almost identical, the envisioned usability of the consoles is almost identical. The only difference is where the emphasis was placed and where those differences are actually significant.

The one thing gamers will probably never admit to themselves is how Kinect clearly had an impact on sales in a positive direction for the Xbox 360. I still cannot get over the fact that no peripheral in the history of gaming has ever had such an install base among console owners (33%). And it cost $150 until last year too.

huh? There's been a bunch of videos posted here in some thread or another showing Kinect in action and how they designed the console, etc.

What I was talking about was how I haven't seen any press impressions or live demoing of what Medhi was controlling in the event. I'm sure they'll pull it off though with the amount of resources they're using.

Kill zone was played in real time at the Sony event
, as was Knack.
I believe all the demos shown were running on devkits.
At this point I'd expect MS to be able to more the same thing, the fact they didn't probably has as much to do with saving reveals for E3 as much as anything else.

Huh? I was talking about the interface being in real time. The switching between apps, etc.

No, I don't think any of the games at either reveal were rendered in real time. Sure some used "real game play footage" like KZ and CoD, but none of it was done real time.

As far as actually demoing the interface, I've seen nothing that confirms that wasn't being in real time.

Well, you were responding to someone who was talking about games, not UI. In any case, you're wrong. Killzone, Knack and Watch Dogs were all running in real-time and played at the PS4 reveal. Every other demo was confirmed to be real-time, in engine. Hell, they went on Jimmy Fallon and let him play the Killzone demo on TV.

With e3 being so close and a unique TV integration solution it allowed MS more latitude to differentiate its presentations.

With media features probably more inline with whats currently offered by other products and no console, what could have Sony showed off with a thin presentation of games? I doubt many would have been satisfied by a 2 hour presentation dominated by social features.

Sony doesn't seem to have anything that one would consider highly marketable as in enough to warrant its own reveal or worthy of at least being the primary focus of a reveal.

Furthermore, Sony focused on games because, "We will show you games in 4 months!!!" is no where near as digestible as "We will show you games in 3 weeks!!!".

It seems more and more baffling to me, because this thing actually does look awesome. I'm thinking the XBone is going to take off in a big way when people see it in action. Like how smooth the transitioning between applications is, the reliable voice and gesture control. If it works as well as the demos.

MS just need to hit e3 with big games to win the "core" back. While Sony still need to tell people about their DRM and entertainment features.

It seems more and more baffling to me, because this thing actually does look awesome. I'm thinking the XBone is going to take off in a big way when people see it in action. Like how smooth the transitioning between applications is, the reliable voice and gesture control. If it works as well as the demos.

MS just need to hit e3 with big games to win the "core" back. While Sony still need to tell people about their DRM and entertainment features.

I am not sure if the transitioning is REALLY such a unique competitive advantage that will be found only in the XBone.

My PS Vita can run multiple applications in the background too and I can jump from one to another seamlessly while retaining their states without having to stop one to run another. This is also something we already get in some fashion in smart phones and tablets.

It shows that Sony will be aiming for a seamless experience as well with the PS4 minus the Cable TV crap

With something as powerful as the PS4, jumping from one application to another doesnt sound like something that requires super special sauce found only in XBone to me.

So it comes down to a decision point for the consumer. Do you want to play games that might look slightly better (because the power difference still isn't there), on a free but befuddling network, or do you want to have the ability to play a game, take a skype call while playing, pause the game, watch a TV show, invite the Skype person into the game when they get home, and continue seamlessly from where you were previously at an additional cost of $60 per year?

The network isn't essential to who's putting the most software and hardware out there into the hands of consumers. Apple, Nintendo, Sony, and others do not need parity with Microsoft's vision in order to make the most money in gaming or be the most popular device for gaming. And they can be the first choice for Netflix or watching NFL games in the home relative to the Xbox One without making a fraction of the investment.

Well, you were responding to someone who was talking about games, not UI. In any case, you're wrong. Killzone, Knack and Watch Dogs were all running in real-time and played at the PS4 reveal. Every other demo was confirmed to be real-time, in engine. Hell, they went on Jimmy Fallon and let him play the Killzone demo on TV.

Watch Dogs was on PC (and stuttering and tearing like mad), but the rest, yep. They also demoed the share button live, uploading the demoed Killzone gameplay to Facebook right at the end of the gameplay demo. There was also live chatting and co-watching gameplay using twitch.tv I believe? But I don't know that was demoed live, don't think so.

I am not sure if the transitioning is REALLY such a unique competitive advantage that will be found only in the XBone.

My PS Vita can run multiple applications in the background too and I can jump from one to another seamlessly while retaining their states without having to stop one to run another. This is also something we already get in some fashion in smart phones and tablets.

It shows that Sony will be aiming for a seamless experience as well with the PS4 minus the Cable TV crap

With something as powerful as the PS4, jumping from one application to another doesnt sound like something that requires super special sauce found only in XBone to me.

The whole point is to coalesce TV media/game content into one unified experience.

Your comparsion with Vita only shows the Sony desires to provide a similar experience. The non-equivalent with Vita would be to provide an seamless experience for everything but the games themselves. MS is simply trying to let TV viewing has some of the features that readily available elsewhere with other product which uses the TV as a display. There are a whole host of companies trying to facillitate this level of integration. No one does it well enough to excite the general public and create big demand for their product.

I have Uverse when the phone rings the caller ID is displayed on the screen while I am watching TV. Xbox One has a focus of expanding such intergration within the TV space. It can always be overdone and so will need to provide controls that allow one to personalize the experience based on their needs and desires. But integration in and of itself isn't a bad thing.

And because you find no use of it doesn't mean there isn't a significant demographic that does. This is about market expansion and incorporating new users not about pandering to a small group of existing users who want a product to strictly concentrate on its primary function. I am pretty sure that MS knows the ramification of its decision and knows it won't jibe well with everyone. MS is probably well aware what its is doing will alienate some but has the belief that for everyone it alienates there will be plenty more that will buy XB1 for its TV integration.

The whole point is to coalesce TV media/game content into one unified experience.

Your comparsion with Vita only shows the Sony desires to provide a similar experience. The non-equivalent with Vita would be to provide an seamless experience for everything but the games themselves. MS is simply trying to let TV viewing has some of the features that readily available elsewhere with other product which uses the TV as a display. There are a whole host of companies trying to facillitate this level of integration. No one does it well enough to excite the general public and create big demand for their product.

I have Uverse when the phone rings the caller ID is displayed on the screen while I am watching TV. Xbox One has a focus of expanding such intergration within the TV space. It can always be overdone and so will need to provide controls that allow one to personalize the experience based on their needs and desires. But integration in and of itself isn't a bad thing.

And because you find no use of it doesn't mean there isn't a significant demographic that does. This is about market expansion and incorporating new users not about pandering to a small group of existing users who want a product to strictly concentrate on its primary function. I am pretty sure that MS knows the ramification of its decision and knows it won't jibe well with everyone. MS is probably well aware what its is doing will alienate some but has the belief that for everyone it alienates there will be plenty more that will buy XB1 for its TV integration.
Lets get something straight.
Seamless transition between apps and games doesnt necessarily require "TV integration"

TV integration is a different subject. Lets not confuse these two.,

But since you mentioned it, you forget that in order to have this TV integration it needs other requirements. Its a function that opens up only to the people that have ANOTHER device such as a TiVo with which it has to communicate through IR and a cable subscription.

It defeats the purpose of the convenience of the All in One console.

If someone like you who is interested in consoles anyways AND happen to have a cable TV service already, the XBone TV integration comes as a very welcoming and convenient extra and it will be a system seller. In other words a seller to the market that MS targeted before. Now keep this in mind. For the price you will pay, this functionality comes as a welcoming extra feature that carries low or non existent additional cost

Now lets go the the other market it wants to expand to. Its that demographic that is NOT interested in gaming. Otherwise they would have been part of the existing market anyways.

These people are more reluctant to pay premium for yet another device under their TV stand that caries the extra cost of gaming functionality just so that they can have yet another set of functions they already have in a smart TV.

For them, unlike you, gaming is not an extra feature that comes at a low/non existent additional cost. Most of that cost resides in game performance related hardware. Its pricey. And they have already made other expenses to watch cable TV channels and have a good TV

And since you mentioned what I find useful or not, lets say I want TV integration with my console. I cant freakin do it unless I have to first pay extra for a cable TV.
I cant plug in my antenna or stream TV from the internet directly through the console to view the channels that dont require cable subscription. This limits the extra market it wants to open to.

Coalescing everything into one device sounds like a neat thing, but imo not very interesting as a feature for something sitting in your living room by the TV.

I think we're driving towards display agnostic kind of preferences for the consumption of media. Basically, either carrying around super smart phones or wearing hi-def Google glasses where you can control the content beamed to local displays (via cloud, with TVs connected to the net) or view directly in front of your eyes. The phone, tablet, or glasses are things that are going to be with you all the time. Might as well have those be the devices that do the coalescing. At best, Xbone is a small stopgap on the path towards that future anyways.

And since you mentioned what I find useful or not, lets say I want TV integration with my console. I cant freakin do it unless I have to first pay extra for a cable TV.
I cant plug in my antenna or stream TV from the internet directly through the console to view the channels that dont require cable subscription. This limits the extra market it wants to open to.

I don't agree. You're only talking about live TV from premium services. If you don't pay for those your TV apps still work & you can use it for those. I get TV shows from Netflix & Hulu. They still work without a cable or satellite service. Also, if you want you could probably buy a cheap HTDV tuner with HDMI Out & get Over The Air channels directly on your XB1. I'm thinking of doing that myself. Screw paying for Cable/Satellite TV. :)

Tommy McClain

If sony makes the DVR adapter for PS4, there's nothing left for the Xbone. (and it better be optional)

torne05.jpg

Back