Building a new computer, need parts.

Hmmm, a few threads at SPCR suggest that the Zalman isn't as great as I thought at lower fan speeds. Seems like you're going with the retail HSF, but I thought you should know.

How good is the PSU on that case? Consider Antec for a good PSU inside good cases (the SLK3700 and 2650 are supposed to be good for relatively low noise).

Kingston is selling their 512MB PC3200 sticks for $75 after rebate (limit of two sticks) at their web store.

AnandTech's review of the nForce 3 Ultra MBs make them look far more attractive than the KT880s for games, though I haven't checked to see if the two sell for around the same price.

If speed is key, consider the 74GB WD Raptor.

And I wouldn't be crippling an A64 with an anemic four pipeline, 128-bit memory bus 9600XT. Get at least a 9800P, or some 6800 if you can afford it. There's a $340 PNY GT at some online store with a decent Resellerrating (Provantage or something), and it may come with both Far Cry and Splinter Cell, according to Hanners' review of the card at EB.

FlamingTeddiz,

For me, the XT does not justify the extra cost. As far as power supplies, I would go with a trusted name before you just go with better specs. 480W hunk of junk can perform worse than an Antec 350W. Heck I can buy a 300W EQ Booster for my car stereo system for $40 or so. I wonder why all the car audio nuts would ever use anything but? =)

Dr. Ffreeze

ok thanks all of you you have been a great help, I would just ask that if you had any more oppinons towards buying a new computer now. Like should I wait untill next year to see what comes out. I dont want to get another computer for about 4 years, after this. I wan it to be final and last me hopefully through college, unless something new comes out and is cheep. so just tell me your thoughts, or something i might regret.

Thanks,

Back