btx form factor

borntosoul

Regular
what do you all think of this new standard for case/motherboards/power supplies thats coming out next year?
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1876
will btx form factor make a difference?
im asking cause i was thinking of getting a lian li case to keep for a few years but now im not so sure. id rather wait and get something next year that i could keep for ages.

ATX was good enough imo. BTX has its advantages, like the heat and better airflow. But with BTX you can say goodbye to those big ( Zalman ) coolers, because the intake will be there.

I wonder what will happen when motherboard manufacturers try designing Athlon64 boards in the BTX format. In the mock-ups being shown, the RAM slots are positioned so that the northbridge is situated at exactly mid-length, probably for balance with the traces.

Current Athlon64 motherboards have the CPU positioned similarly at the midpoint of the memory slots. However, with BTX, the CPU is pushed to the edge, and is rotated 45 degrees. Trying to get traces to fit in this new position may be interesting.

I like the design of microBTX and picoBTX cases. They look much better than most microATX cases.

pcchen said:
I like the design of microBTX and picoBTX cases. They look much better than most microATX cases.
Agreed. There's something Macintosh about them. In a good way...:)

Back