Brokeback Oscar Hypocrisy

So if Brokeback wins, it's the Hollywood liberals doing a "nyah nyah" at the conservative politicians in DC. If it loses it's the fault of the homophobia even among academy members. Hmmm. . . .

Wonderful movie, though; most moving film I've seen since Cold Mountain. Heath Ledger deserves the Oscar nod for his performance, and I'm rooting for McMurtry for best adaptation.

Why did the movie have to open with the two of them herding a flock of sheep though!

All I'd heard about the movie before seeing it was that it was about some gay cowboys, and I was literally cringing whenever they were alone on the range with the sheep just waiting for the worst! :???:

I gotta disagree with you though John, I think Jake Gyllenhaal deserves the Best Actor Oscar. He was just brilliant in that flick!

digitalwanderer said:
I gotta disagree with you though John, I think Jake Gyllenhaal deserves the Best Actor Oscar. He was just brilliant in that flick!

He has a few good scenes, but Heath inhabited the character of Ennis to an amazing extent. The way his body language conveyed his sense of alienation, his way of chewing words out the side of his mouth as if it required real willpower to force himself to speak about certain things.

Besides, Gyllenhaal was in a supporting role.

John Reynolds said:
So if Brokeback wins, it's the Hollywood liberals doing a "nyah nyah" at the conservative politicians in DC. If it loses it's the fault of the homophobia even among academy members. Hmmm. . . .

Well, that's the press for you, isn't it? Gotta have a bitch/gripe/controversy prepared and ready to go for any eventuality! I'm not even kidding about that. And then, after that, we can enjoy the analysis of the analysis until the next thing comes along. . .

K.I.L.E.R said:
Do we get to see anything funny?
Like the cowboy helping a sheep get over a fence?
Which brings another question to my mind. Not having read the novel myself, but in the novel, was it also sheep, or cows? I can imagine sheep chosen for a movie adaptation because they must be easier to herd and generally more entertaining than cows.

I haven't yet seen the movie (waiting for the DVD version, I'd bee to ashamed if it moves me so that I cry in the theatre :) ), but something about the promotion of that film just grates me slightly. While I think cowboys are good, 2nd only to cops, there's just something terribly "cliche" in those movie posters.
Never judge a book by the cover, though. I'm assured it's a good film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memoirs of a Geisha is much more deserving of praise than Brokeback Mountain imho. I also liked Munich more than Brokeback.

rabidrabbit said:
Which brings another question to my mind. Not having read the novel myself, but in the novel, was it also sheep, or cows?
They couldn't get a stunt double for the cow for the "over the fence scene" so it had to be a sheep.

Is "sheep over the fence" code for sex?
Sorry but it sounds like you guys are being dirty minded again. :LOL:

It's sheep in Annie Proulx's original 28-page short story.

As for seeing anything "funny", there's a few kissing scenes and one sex scene (their first encounter) in the movie, probably less than 60 seconds total contact between the two. The short is more graphic. But the story isn't about sex or physical desires/lust, so there's very little "icky" moments in the movie.

Brimstone said:
Memoirs of a Geisha is much more deserving of praise than Brokeback Mountain imho. I also liked Munich more than Brokeback.

I've been trying to get my wife to go see Munich. We are of an age to remember those Olympics and the initial events pretty vividly. She keeps saying "I don't want to see that first 1/2 hr".

geo said:
I've been trying to get my wife to go see Munich. We are of an age to remember those Olympics and the initial events pretty vividly. She keeps saying "I don't want to see that first 1/2 hr".

The movie is far away from any reality, character-wise. Junk.

Brokeback just seems a little bit of a facile subject matter to hit oscar gold. Kinda the same way Titanic or Forrest Gump was. I heard it was beautifully filmed and acted though, so im sure its deserving

John Reynolds said:

Wonderful movie, though; most moving film I've seen since Cold Mountain. Heath Ledger deserves the Oscar nod for his performance, and I'm rooting for McMurtry for best adaptation.

I think you just like movies with "Mountain" in the title. Probably brings back memories of past experiences.....

Do you have anything to tell us?

;)

Seriously now, i think the movie could have been 30 mins shorter and that would have made it perfect. At times it was just SO slow... But yeah, lovely movie. Maybe on me the whole awesomeness about it is lost though, for obvious reasons. Definately not the best movie i've seen, even though it was a bit moving especially at the end.

Back