British strange

RussSchultz said:
Barbeque
Tex-mex
Soul food
Chili

Just because you live in a cuisinely desolate place, doesn't mean there is no food culture in the US.

Tex-Mex and chilli are clearly Mexican. BBQ is not a US invention. Soul food is creole/African.

The question was about the food _originating_ in a country. So what stuff is invented in the US? (I really have no idea)

Tex mex is a mexican derivative. It is not mexican food, however. You won't find fajita's anywhere in mexico, for example.

Chili is definitely not mexican.

Soul Food is black southern food, not african or creole.

RussSchultz said:
Tex mex is a mexican derivative. It is not mexican food, however. You won't find fajita's anywhere in mexico, for example.

Chili is definitely not mexican.

Soul Food is black southern food, not african or creole.

The Burrito was invented in Los Angeles too...

digitalwanderer said:
As for the brits being strange I got two words, "warm beer". :?

Not "warm" actually - it should be served at room temperature. There is no way in this world that I'll let an American criticise British ale/bitter when the 3 words "good", "american" and "beer" are rarely found in the same sentence! :p

What I find peculiar is the fact that whilst most beers (lagers) don't taste of anything if they are warm, English cask beers don't taste of anything if they are cold! One of the problems in finding a decent pint of bitter in many UK pubs is that most beer engines pump the stuff through a chiller and this means you can't taste it until it warms up a bit! This is a bit like using a hot spoon to serve ice cream... ;)

oh yes, i tried english food once on a trip to england when I was 12, i don't want to judge it but, from what i remember, it wasn't that tastefull.

RussSchultz said:
Snyder said:
You know what? I think kebab is the one fast food that comes closest to what one could call a "typical European fast food", no matter from where in Europe you are. :)
Except...its not European in origin?

it's turkish. and they eat döner kebab also nativly in greece and maybe some parts of eastern europe also i dunno.

kebab is a general name of dishes to say grilled meat dishes.
Döner kebab, meas döner= "turning" kebap, like you see, it just turns around his axe infront of the grill :)
Dûrüm kebab, is = durum means a roll, so it's a kebab meat rolled inside a typical turkish bread(sorta pancake)

put the pita/kebab they sell here in west europe doesn't taste the same like a traditional turkish one. for example, in turkey they don't put
a sauce on top of it (garlic, mayo ketchup or whatever)

i prefer any meditareanen food. since a lot of food looks alike
turkish/greek italian, spanish, only the way of coocking and some details are different.
olives, oliveoil, white cheese (feta ) pasta, a lot of grilled things and herbs.

living in belgium, i only like the big jumbo Fries!
getting hungry now talking about it...

The problem with the doner kebab is that it varies in quality so much. The best I've ever had was back during my University days at Theo's Charcoal Grill in Leeds (I wonder if it's still there?) - a delightful concoction which almost melted in the mouth. The worst I've had: too numerous to mention in too many different British cities! Whichever you have, I'd recommend avoiding the gooey garlic sauce stuff and just stick to lashings and lashings of Chilli sauce.

The Gyros kebab I had in Corfu a few years back was pretty tasty too IIRC.

RussSchultz said:
Just because you live in a cuisinely desolate place, doesn't mean there is no food culture in the US.

Actually I live in London, which as per the link at the beginning of this thread has the best resturants in the world according to the US "Gormet" magazine.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
RussSchultz said:

Actually I live in London, which as per the link at the beginning of this thread has the best resturants in the world according to the US "Gormet" magazine.

Errr it might have some very fashionable restaurant, but really, they need to spend some time in Italy. On the Tuscany hills, in Bologna, in the best places to eat in the world. No need for fancy ligths, overblown plate arrangements and expensive surcharges. The best food is to be found in the upperclass but affordable Italian restaurants. In Italy.

london-boy said:
Errr it might have some very fashionable restaurant, but really, they need to spend some time in Italy. On the Tuscany hills, in Bologna, in the best places to eat in the world. No need for fancy ligths, overblown plate arrangements and expensive surcharges. The best food is to be found in the upperclass but affordable Italian restaurants. In Italy.

And not an ounce of bias in that opinion!

Ya pasta fanboi. ;)

Gerry said:
london-boy said:

And not an ounce of bias in that opinion!

Ya pasta fanboi. ;)

It's a fact, not an opinion. Totally objective. :LOL:

Mariner said:
The problem with the doner kebab is that it varies in quality so much. The best I've ever had was back during my University days at Theo's Charcoal Grill in Leeds (I wonder if it's still there?) - a delightful concoction which almost melted in the mouth. The worst I've had: too numerous to mention in too many different British cities! Whichever you have, I'd recommend avoiding the gooey garlic sauce stuff and just stick to lashings and lashings of Chilli sauce.

The Gyros kebab I had in Corfu a few years back was pretty tasty too IIRC.

I love good garlic sauce! No Kebab tastes good without it! And not to forget the most important ingredient: bread. It's got to be self-produced and fresh, still hot...mmmm.

There are about 100 of these in my city, but only three of them taste really good. Especially since the recent price wars they had here, many of them got even worse than they already were...

_xxx_ said:
I'm happy that we have so many _real_ chinese/thai restaurants in my area which cook just like in China. Otherwise I'd probably starve since I live on that and Italian food.
Really? The travel guides for Germany I read said "stay away" from German Chinese restaurants. They said something went "horribly wrong" with cuisine and so I avoided them on any visit to Germany <shrug> :?

Back