British strange

_xxx_ said:
I only drink pils/lager or wheat beer, these should always be cold. I don't like any other beer. And I can't stand the piss from Miller and co.

I've actually developed a taste for wheat beers in recent years (I blame my father!).

Luckily it is finally becoming possible to obtain them in this country. Hoegaarden has been around for ages but I've located sources for various German wheatbeers and currently have cases of the following:

Erdinger
Paulaner
Gulpener Korenwolf

_xxx_ are there any others you'd recommend I should look out for? I've also had some Lowenweiss in the past but can't obtain this any more.

belgian beer is the best . (so they say over here, i only drink Jupiler once in a few weeks)

Mariner said:
_xxx_ are there any others you'd recommend I should look out for? I've also had some Lowenweiss in the past but can't obtain this any more.

The best wheat beer is definitely Maissel's Weisse. With or without yeast, both are the the best in respectable categories. No other beer has that kind of foam, too.

hey69 said:
belgian beer is the best . (so they say over here, i only drink Jupiler once in a few weeks)

Well, the Brits say their beer is the best, the Irish say theirs is the best, the Germans say the same about theirs...... Meh... i don't drink beer.

_xxx_ said:
The best wheat beer is definitely Maissel's Weisse. With or without yeast, both are the the best in respectable categories. No other beer has that kind of foam, too.

Ah yes - I actually bought my Dad some of that at Christmas and had a bottle myself. It was quite nice, as I remember. The only problem there is that the shop which sells it (a delicatessen) is about 20 miles from where I live and I don't visit that town very often.

We can also get Franziskaner Hefe and Kristal here which is reasonable.

Kronenbourg have recently released a draft wheatbeer here in the UK but the only time I tried it, I got atrocious wind! :oops:

Well, than you have it all. Erdinger, Paulaner, Franziskaner and Meissel's are the best, whichever suites you best 8)

Also very nice are Bavarian brews (non-wheat) which are neither Pils nor Lager, but a bit stronger in taste. Don't know of any specific brands or what that stuff is called, but with a little search you'll surely find some. These have a bit more alc ((1-2% more than Pils). If it says Bayern or bayerisch and is no pils, that's probably it.

I also like Czech Urquell Pilsner(that's where it all begun) and Dutch Amstell.

london-boy said:
hey69 said:

Well, the Brits say their beer is the best, the Irish say theirs is the best, the Germans say the same about theirs...... Meh... i don't drink beer.

British, Irish, German and Belgian beers are all different. The Brits certainly don't make the best lagers, the Germans don't make anything that resembles a decent bitter. The Belgian beers I've had have all been very distinct from pretty much everything else, and as for that Irish stuff, well it's no wonder the roads are so poor over there ;)

Anyway, my point is, each of the above excels in a certain area of beer making, so you can't really make a direct comparison without taking personal taste into account.

nutball said:
The Brits certainly don't make the best lagers

You're not kidding there - absolute chemical-ridden piss. The irritating thing is that even the decent foreign lagers become vile brews here in the UK. Kronenbourg brewed in France is a nice lager. Kronenbourg brewed in the UK under license is evil-tasting hangover juice. The UK version of Grolsch is unspeakable and the UK version of Stella Artois has earned it's nickname well - wifebeater.

At least we can finally get proper Heineken here now.

The current Vogue for lagers in the UK is "Extra Cold". In other words, they sell the same old shit stuff a few degrees colder than normal and yet charge more for it. IIRC these are also "Nitrokeg" drinks and these give me a terrible headache so I avoid like the plague.

Still, I'm off down to Bristol this weekend where they have a nice brewpub which brews its own decent lager, wheatbeer, bitter, dark lager... :)

DUNKEL!!! yummy !

belgium has the right idea,, none of this wine rubbish ... sadly the uk in the 70's had an appaling attitude which destroyed far too many companies :( .

mind you i was pretty saddened when i realised that the leffe i have from time to time is from 'interbrew' ..

-dave-

lambic , now *thats* a brew ;) . . .

_xxx_ said:
Well, than you have it all. Erdinger, Paulaner, Franziskaner and Meissel's are the best, whichever suites you best 8)

Also very nice are Bavarian brews (non-wheat) which are neither Pils nor Lager, but a bit stronger in taste. Don't know of any specific brands or what that stuff is called, but with a little search you'll surely find some. These have a bit more alc ((1-2% more than Pils). If it says Bayern or bayerisch and is no pils, that's probably it.

AFAIK the official term in German is "Vollbier" although I have no idea what it's called in English...

Coincidentally, most Austrian beers are of this category...so lager beer is definitely too waterish for me. :)

Stiegl is definitely something to recommend.

Mmmm...czech beer. Urquell is nice, Budweiser (the original!) even better!

Snyder said:
AFAIK the official term in German is "Vollbier" although I have no idea what it's called in English...

Coincidentally, most Austrian beers are of this category...so lager beer is definitely too waterish for me. :)

Yeah, that's the word :)

I don't share your opinion on austrian beer, though. I tried Gösser and found it rather mediocre.

Budweiser we get here is not the original I guess, since it's pretty watered out, just like Miller and co. I guess it's the version for the US market.

Apoc said:
Nothing beats Italian and Spanish food.

Italian, yes. But spanish? Fish, fish, fish and fish with fish in a fish sauce? Paella? C'mon :LOL:

EDIT: Serrano ham is the only really good thing I've ever eaten in Spain

_xxx_ said:
Apoc said:
Nothing beats Italian and Spanish food.

Italian, yes. But spanish? Fish, fish, fish and fish with fish in a fish sauce? Paella? C'mon :LOL:

EDIT: Serrano ham is the only really good thing I've ever eaten in Spain

I live in spain and i barely eat fish so...

Eat this:

fabada.jpg

This (spanish omelette, the best):
tortillapatatas.jpg

or this:

cocido.gif

and then tell me spanish food is not good (don't know a single one that has said that).

It might also be the case that the hotels always serve fish and paella for tourists, since I was in Spain a couple of times already and never got anything like that...

It is the case. Hotel food plainly sucks. You have to go to a non-tourist restaurant or to a friends home to eat the good-old spanish food.

If you come to spain again just told me, and I will give you some advices to where to eat.

There's definitely good spanish food. I've only been yo Andalucia but I've had excellent omelettes, gaspacho (a cold vegetable soup with garlic, really tasty as an appetiser or even a light meal when it's hot) and great seafood. Hell just some machengo cheese and serrano ham is wonderful, doesn't get any simpler than that.

_xxx_ said:
Snyder said:

Yeah, that's the word :)

I don't share your opinion on austrian beer, though. I tried Gösser and found it rather mediocre.

Hey, nobody insults my Gösser! Okok...I'm obviously biased here, as I was practically raised with it, my father even worked at the brewery during university holidays when he was a student. ;)
Oh, and I hope you didn't drink Gösser Export or *shudder* Gösser Ice...they are both not "the real stuff". :)
But it's true - nowadays I don't find Gösser that great either, i'm more for Stiegl, Hirter or Villacher. (But I seldom drink beer nowadays anyway...)

Budweiser we get here is not the original I guess, since it's pretty watered out, just like Miller and co. I guess it's the version for the US market.

I wasn't aware that the Budvar brewery produces beer for the US Market, what with Anheuser-Busch's Bud and all...

Nevertheless, Budweiser is one of the few lagers I like the taste of, the others being Heineken and Dommelsch.

Back