Brent....what a fine review you have posted.....

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

dance2.gif

Adding one more silly post and I'll quit this brief threadjack.

Y'all do realize that the above two posts are EXACTLY the way I wrote them and that no one here has edited either of 'em, don't ya? ;) :LOL:

the 2500+ will work great. I help a friend with a 2500+ OC to 3200+(2.2) with 39C idel and 46C load with the same heat sink.

EDIT
case temp is 29C

My system is a 1800+ Tbred B at 2.2 from 1.533 and Idel with the same heat sink is 37C and 43C load with a 29C case.

{Sniping}Waste said:
the 2500+ will work great. I help a friend with a 2500+ OC to 3200+(2.2) with 39C idel and 46C load with the same heat sink.
That'll fit on my 2500+? Really?

Damn, I gotta go play now! :D

<ot-ish>
I have my 15 month old AMD 2500+ running at 2.4Ghz (12*200). It's stable at 2.5Ghz, but pushes the motherboard near it's limit. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd have volt-modded my 8RDA+ board and be running with a faster FSB and at a higher speed. I imagine newer AMD 2500+ will run at even higher speeds.

BRiT said:
<ot-ish>
I have my 15 month old AMD 2500+ running at 2.4Ghz (12*200). It's stable at 2.5Ghz, but pushes the motherboard near it's limit. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd have volt-modded my 8RDA+ board and be running with a faster FSB and at a higher speed. I imagine newer AMD 2500+ will run at even higher speeds.
I got a K7N2-L in a trade for a GF4 ti4400 and the thing has troubles going over 175Mhz for the FSB period.

I think it's the northbridge, but I'm not sure.

What worries me is that with FRAPS being used more and more to benchmark, that NV will resort to other tactics to “cheat” benches. Clearly NV is not doing 8xAF in FS2004. What other games and settings is NV overriding? It would be interesting to test 2-4-8 AF on a few other suspect games to see if there is any performance difference.

I find it strange when a major hardware site like THG announces they will be dropping Quake3 from their benches and replacing it with COD that NV manages to significantly boost performance (10-20%) in that game in their next driver revision. I’m mean you just normally don’t see that type of performance boost anymore in driver revisions. 53.03 …versus …52.16. I’m beginning to wonder if when one selects the “Extra” for texture settings whether NV is rolling them back to just “high”. :?

Brent can you get some screen shots with FRAPS on and off like run the game in FRAPS and run the game normal and see if there is a diffrents in speed and IQ. This might point out if the Forceware drivers are detecting FRAPS.

Blastman said:
What worries me is that with FRAPS being used more and more to benchmark, that NV will resort to other tactics to “cheat†benches. Clearly NV is not doing 8xAF in FS2004. What other games and settings is NV overriding? It would be interesting to test 2-4-8 AF on a few other suspect games to see if there is any performance difference.

I find it strange when a major hardware site like THG announces they will be dropping Quake3 from their benches and replacing it with COD that NV manages to significantly boost performance (10-20%) in that game in their next driver revision. I’m mean you just normally don’t see that type of performance boost anymore in driver revisions. 53.03 …versus …52.16. I’m beginning to wonder if when one selects the “Extra†for texture settings whether NV is rolling them back to just “highâ€. :?

I remember someone on this site saying that everytime you visit nVidia they ask you what games you're benchmarking with these days. Therefore every time someone from Beyond3D is going to nVidia, we should have a poll, and everyone with an nVidia card can vote on which games they want to have optimised... Beyond3D can then give nVidia that list as the games they benchmark with these days ;)

Well.....why don't we all get together and flood nVidia with a specific game that, ATM, no one uses. Then wait and see what happens..... :devilish:

Sounds like a good idea.

My vote goes to Pong, since I have a nagging suspicion that they'll have their work laid out for them to optimize for that.. ;) :D

Brent, On you next review why don't you use @tuner to set the filtering to true trilinear and then compare the performance between ati and Nvidia in FS2004 I enabled true trilinear instead of brilinear on my 5900xt and it now looks almost identical to the pics taken from the 9600xt you reviewed. The performance loss was... :cry:

edit: changed "exactly like" to "almost identical to"

Blastman said:
What worries me is that with FRAPS being used more and more to benchmark, that NV will resort to other tactics to “cheatâ€￾ benches. Clearly NV is not doing 8xAF in FS2004. What other games and settings is NV overriding? It would be interesting to test 2-4-8 AF on a few other suspect games to see if there is any performance difference.

From what I can tell it actually is using 8x AF but using Brilinear filtering instead of Trilinear filtering. By enabling true trilinear filtering using @tuner I was able to get the same image quality as the 9600xt was getting.

Unless aTuner is made out of magic, you can't enable full trilinear on a FX card without resorting to pre-5x.xx drivers (except in UT2003, where you have to use... hmmm... 43.45, I think).

Back