Brent....what a fine review you have posted.....

It is a good comparison, nice job.

A minor nit-picky note, you mentioned that the latest available ATi Catalysts are the 4.1 set when the 4.2 set is available...but it was probably an editor delaying the publishing of your article. :)

martrox said:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4

Brent, what can I say? This is, without a doubt, one of the best comparison reviews I have ever seen........Damn fine job!

wow, thanks

it gets better, just wait till you see this abit 9800xt vs. gffx 5950u review i'm finishing up, i used 11 games total in it, lots of evaluation and comparisons

digitalwanderer said:
It is a good comparison, nice job.

A minor nit-picky note, you mentioned that the latest available ATi Catalysts are the 4.1 set when the 4.2 set is available...but it was probably an editor delaying the publishing of your article. :)

yeah, when i write the articles it can be up to 2 weeks before its published

so when i wrote this one cat 4.1 was the latest

Nice work there Brent. Full of detail and screen shot to point things out. Most site would miss the lighting problem or say the 5700U has better lighting! :oops: :rolleyes:
One of the best review iv read this year! :LOL:

{Sniping}Waste said:
Nice work there Brent. Full of detail and screen shot to point things out. Most site would miss the lighting problem or say the 5700U has better lighting! :oops: :rolleyes:

dang, i didn't think it was THAT good, geez lol

the one i'm workin on now is really really good, using some new games, farcry demo, ut2004 demo, prince of persia the sands of time

Brent said:
TWO WEEKS?!?! :oops:

Damn, at EB I get itchy if it starts taking more than 2 hours for something to get approved! :LOL:

BTW-Damned nice image comparison on MSF2004, there is a huge difference! I'm betting it was even more noticable when playing.

digitalwanderer said:
Brent said:
TWO WEEKS?!?! :oops:

Damn, at EB I get itchy if it starts taking more than 2 hours for something to get approved! :LOL:

BTW-Damned nice image comparison on MSF2004, there is a huge difference! I'm betting it was even more noticable when playing.

yeppers, i'm not the only reviewer, there is a method, i've got reviews queued up ready to go, they are published on a schedule

oh yeah, when playing fs2004 you can really see the difference, the better AA and the better filtering the 9600xt is doing really make a difference

Brent said:
{Sniping}Waste said:

the one i'm workin on now is really really good, using some new games, farcry demo, ut2004 demo, prince of persia the sands of time

Would it be going too far to ask what is reviewed ? :p

Magic-Sim said:
Brent said:
{Sniping}Waste said:

Would it be going too far to ask what is reviewed ? :p

ABIT 9800XT vs. GFFX 5950Ultra

I thought it would be good to take one final good look at both of these cards against each other with the latest drivers before all the new NV40 / R420 stuff comes out.

Brent said:
ABIT 9800XT vs. GFFX 5950Ultra

I thought it would be good to take one final good look at both of these cards against each other with the latest drivers before all the new NV40 / R420 stuff comes out.
Good plan. When the new generation comes out I know a lot of people who plan to finally upgrade to the last generation when the prices drop a bit. :)

Test Setup:

ABIT IC7-G (i875P), Intel Pentium 4 3GHz “Câ€￾ and a Pentium 4 2.4GHz “Câ€￾, 2 X 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200LL TwinX Dual Channel DDR400, Maxtor 40GB ATA/133, Windows XP Professional SP1 with DirectX 9.0b.

i am just curious, what CPU did you actually use ? or did you bench with both then reported average results ? 8)

A great analysis of the cards Brent! You're getting pretty good at this reviewing thing. ;)

BTW,(noticed you didn't get a big overclock on the 9600xt)did you see the overclock Xbit got on the GeCube 9600 XT “Extremeâ€￾ (640/800) :oops: Impressive indeed.

I like the fps/time graphs and the lack of average framerate bars, but could you please use higher contrast colors for the graphs next time :D They look very similar on my notebook display.

pino said:
Test Setup:

ABIT IC7-G (i875P), Intel Pentium 4 3GHz “Câ€￾ and a Pentium 4 2.4GHz “Câ€￾, 2 X 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200LL TwinX Dual Channel DDR400, Maxtor 40GB ATA/133, Windows XP Professional SP1 with DirectX 9.0b.

i am just curious, what CPU did you actually use ? or did you bench with both then reported average results ? 8)

That would be a mistake you just found :D

I copied the system setup from the last review, apparently i forgot to remove the other CPU from those specs.

The CPU used in this review was the P4 3.0C at stock.

It is fixed now, it'll take a few minutes to update in the database.

Xmas said:
I like the fps/time graphs and the lack of average framerate bars, but could you please use higher contrast colors for the graphs next time :D They look very similar on my notebook display.

yes indeed!

I've changed the colors in the next review, they are blue and red, so it is much easier to tell them apart.

Mr.Sparkle said:
A great analysis of the cards Brent! You're getting pretty good at this reviewing thing. ;)

BTW,(noticed you didn't get a big overclock on the 9600xt)did you see the overclock Xbit got on the GeCube 9600 XT “Extremeâ€￾ (640/800) :oops: Impressive indeed.

Thanks

Haven't read that review yet, wow, thats one hell of an oc there.

I had a GeXCube 9600XT, that did 620Mhz on the core, with stock cooling. Had to return it though, wouldnt work with my Biostar SFF :( It came clocked at 325Mhz on the memory, it did a tad over 375. Got it at newegg for $150, now they dont carry it anymore for some reason.

Returned it, and got a $169 BFG 5900NU thats in (barely) my daughters SFF case.

Brent, let me get back to you on your UT2003 demo. There were some significant bugs with maps like Oceanic (has to do with the shark entity, used to cause crashes, now it might just cause huge performance drops). The crash one was fixed, I know, but the performance one might not be.

Back