BR wins 2 more backers, HDDVD looks d00mzOred, says Ars

Guden Oden

Legend
It's not something I simply made up.

Personally, I hate these friggin threads because A: they're pointless and stupid, and B: they have nothing to do with consoles. Yet people seem to love them, so I thought I might as well post it up since nobody else has so far.

Personally, I think HDDVD is a dumb idea from the start. As soon as BR was announced, toshiba & gang should have packed up shop, or at least started talks with sony & crew to merge their tech. What's the idea of an incompatible format that's smaller than another incompatible format? It's just dumb and pointless. Like these threads.

But discuss away all you like anyway. I'm sure we can take all the same dumb arguments for and against one more time... :LOL:

Wow, it is really disingenuous to start a thread out like this...

Guden Oden said:
Personally, I hate these friggin threads because A: they're pointless and stupid, and B: they have nothing to do with consoles. Yet people seem to love them, so I thought I might as well post it up since nobody else has so far.

and end it like this...

But discuss away all you like anyway. I'm sure we can take all the same dumb arguments for and against one more time... :LOL:

When you just could have chosen to stay away from this topic entirely if it bothers you so much. ;)

Afterall, nothing's to say that it would actually have been posted. There was some Sanyo HD-DVD news recently and that wasn't posted, same with Blu-Ray ROM drive news.

You just wanted to post the topic - admit it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss an episode, what HD-DVD have to do with consoles lately? :-?

I mean, a few month ago there were speculation about MS or Nintendo using this format for their next-gen consoles. But now...

I guess it will be better to move this to the Hardware forum. ;)

As long as there is 1080p video on the disc, I don't care who wins. Though Blu-Ray seems like the better choice, but sometimes I wish to see Sony burn in hell.

(Nintendo Fan)

Vysez said:
Did I miss an episode, what HD-DVD have to do with consoles lately? :-?

I mean, a few month ago there were speculation about MS or Nintendo using this format for their next-gen consoles. But now...

I guess it will be better to move this to the Hardware forum. ;)

MS is still kicking around the idea of including an HD-DVD drive sometime in the future. Assuming it looks to be a successful format, which it's not looking so great right now.

It doesn't matter to me. I have serious doubts that either of these formats will end up being the true next-gen media. Seems to me that by the time HDTV market saturation is high enough that next-gen media outsells current DVD's, there is a good chance that something better than both formats will have come along.

Lions Gate only makes up like 4% of the movie market and Universal is only releasing music not movies on BR. This is little news that didn't even deserve its own thread.

The fact HD DVD makes it mandatory to allow legal ripping to other devices, it's a no brainer which format is more consumer friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me that by the time HDTV market saturation is high enough that next-gen media outsells current DVD's, there is a good chance that something better than both formats will have come along.

HVD (Halographic Versatile Disc)

xbdestroya said:
You just wanted to post the topic - admit it. :p
Come on, gimme a break... It was 1:45AM for god's sake. Hidden agendas and ulterior motives were the last thing on my mind right then! :D

ANova said:
The choice is clear, blu-ray. There simply is no reason to go HD-DVD.
be very carefull about letting a media thug like sony, setting the standard. YOU will not be able to make copys.

Thats the main aspect of Blu-ray that I dislike....the copy protection. There should be a way to back up your "PROPERTY" you bought the physical disk..you should be able to protect your purhcased item from damage. But Sony pushing this hard protective film for the Blu-Ray disk is probably there way of saying.."you don't need to back it up, since the likelihood of it being damaged is low, due to the protective coating". I still don't like it though.

Also...I've been watching this thread..and its been a litte "TO" quite..I predict someone going to retort with a big post.....

Yea, I fear music on BR due lack of portability (from one device to another).

BlueTsunami said:
Also...I've been watching this thread..and its been a litte "TO" quite..I predict someone going to retort with a big post.....

Naw, with the new mods and their expanded powers, people know they can't pull the same crap they are infamous for. Viva la mods!

karlotta said:
be very carefull about letting a media thug like sony, setting the standard. YOU will not be able to make copys.
The choice is clear, HD-DVD. There simply is no reason to go blu-ray.

Actually I'd rather just skip them both and go right to HVD. Too bad it's still far off.

Back