Borderlands 2 [PS3, X360]

I just started the side mission to kill that huge mama skag. The mission difficulty says Level 25 - Normal. I'm level 30.

When I go in the arena, the skag is level 31 and basically anhiliates me instantly. I have died several times and I haven't even been able to get more than a few paces from the elevator. I have a rocket launcher that does 10800 explosive damage, and one time I put three rockets right smack in her mouth (all crits) and her health bar barely budged. Needless to say, I died shortly thereafter. I have no idea how to defeat her.

I wonder if the enemy difficulty in side missions depends on when you start them? This particular mission was available for a long time, and I was a higher level when I finally got around to accepting it.

I just started the side mission to kill that huge mama skag. The mission difficulty says Level 25 - Normal. I'm level 30.

When I go in the arena, the skag is level 31 and basically anhiliates me instantly. I have died several times and I haven't even been able to get more than a few paces from the elevator. I have a rocket launcher that does 10800 explosive damage, and one time I put three rockets right smack in her mouth (all crits) and her health bar barely budged. Needless to say, I died shortly thereafter. I have no idea how to defeat her.

I wonder if the enemy difficulty in side missions depends on when you start them? This particular mission was available for a long time, and I was a higher level when I finally got around to accepting it.

She was tough! Insta killed me the first time, insta killed me the second time.

Well, somehow I beat her. Trick is to run. Run a lot. The first time I tried with a pure sniper build. Was super tough. Try to run around, until her aggro focus on the small guys which occasionally join the party from the side. Once she fights with them...well, unload every grenade and rocket launcher and what ever you have...good luck, was tough, but totally worth it...you get the Bison sniper rifle!

After respecing to cunning, with Death Blossom, it was way easier as the Kunais help a lot (if you manage to hit her!). But you need lvl 31 for this, and she still insta killd you...

Run NRP run!!!

IRIC she's armoured, so you need to use corrosive weapons. If you're playing as Axton, you can go back after you first get killed, and chuck your turret down the lift shaft (the lift platform is now at the bottom). This enables you to shoot at her when she comes close to the turret from the top of the lift shaft.

Or you need bigger weapons. I have an explosive rocket launcher that does over 20000 damage, and I can use that to take down baddass constructors in 2-3 shots.

Some do seem to scale. I had to try several times to get to the end of the fifth round at Ore Chasm, and in the middle of it I went from level 34 to level 35, and then all the enemies were level 35 after restarting the round.

Now I have to go do the Talon mission and finish PT1....

What I learned so far: if you are interested in loot and leveling, don't bother to much with pt1. After four hours of pt2, I replaced all my weapons and items from pt1 and went from lvl 35 to lvl 38. Getting from lvl 34 to lvl 35 took me roughly 3 hours in normal mode, including killing the final boss.

PT2 is great so far, highly recommended!

PS: @NRP, maybe you have a slag grenade or whatever for your big problem

When should I use my golden key for the Sanctuary weapon chest? So far, I've been happy with the weapons I've got playing the game so I've been waiting until I level up, but the skag mission has me wanting better weapons.

That Skag mission took forever for Xarth and I to complete. We only had two Fight For Life moments as she was preoccupied with the side minions most of the time. Xarth was using Slag-sniper and I was firing at her the mouth with Rockets, then Corrosive Sniper, then Fire SMG in her mouth. The key was running and hitting her mouth to do critical damage; that can be done from the side when she has it open, no need to hit her straight on from the front.

When should I use my golden key for the Sanctuary weapon chest? So far, I've been happy with the weapons I've got playing the game so I've been waiting until I level up, but the skag mission has me wanting better weapons.

I had two golden keys. Got nothing good from them. Seems that it really is just luck, even the gold chest. But you get at least blue I guess....I got shields and grenade which I directly sold.

Done a few marathon sessions this weekend, and I'm loving it.

One thing that's very important to know is that having a gambling problem with the one-armed bandits really pays off. So far the two best weapons I've found came out of the slots. One was a sniper for Robert and the other was a shotgun for myself. I usually only lose a bit of money because selling most of the items will recoup 90% of the expense.

I just got a corrosive sniper that does something like 1050 damage with a high elemental effect chance. I'm in heaven.

I so look forward to battling Hyperion mechs.

I just got a corrosive sniper that does something like 1050 damage with a high elemental effect chance. I'm in heaven.

I so look forward to battling Hyperion mechs.

If you skilled the sniping tree for Assassin, those crits will be ridiculous! I have a 400dmg sniper now that crits for about 4400+ at level 20.

I think the game is much better balanced for co-op than it is for solo players. Some things are very difficult alone, but easy in co-op. With 3 player we had no problems with that giant Skagg. I think the difference comes from being able to divide the enemy's attention between multiple players and being able to revive each other.

IIRC, the enemies are supposed to level up in multiplayer, to make it harder for groups.

I think a lot of it depends on gear and level. There's quite a few bits that are hard until you do some side quests and get some better gear, and then they are easy. The end of game boss(es) were a cakewalk at level 36. Didn't die once, didn't even need to use Axton's turret or the ammo resupply stations.

In comparison, the Mama Skag mission is disproportionately hard, but with Axton you can just chuck your turret down the lift shaft a couple of times and it's easy.

I played whole game solo and never had problems. But i did all side quests and was constantly overleveld in the story missions. But as Zero, you probably learn to play carefully anyway. Take out enemies from far away and learn their weak spots with Bore and wipe out the rusher with a strong shotgun or SMG or AR or whatever.

Skaga mum is proplematic, as she insta kills you with her attacks. That is a different sort of enemy though, that is why she is tough. But of course, you need good gear (rocket launcher with large magazine size are much better than low magazine size and more damage, imo).

I often use SLAG singularity grenades. They pull enemies together such that Bore has maximum effect when shooting into the mob. Of course this is pointless for Skaga mum, but at least you have a chance to slag her, which helps a lot in my opinion...when lauching all rockets at her.

I just constantly run around and away from her, as she is pretty fast.

The enemies which I think are difficult are the flying type enemies. The repair bots are worst as they are dam fast and the copters tank a lot of damage typically...again, it is important where you hit the copters.

Game is not easy in my opinion. But up to now, it is not unfair. Wonder if this will change in TVHM, when I do the more difficult parts...

PS: I cannot point out often enough, how powerful and helpful the Kunais are...at least Zeros should try it out to see if they can use it, as respecing is thanks god rather cheap!

If you skilled the sniping tree for Assassin, those crits will be ridiculous! I have a 400dmg sniper now that crits for about 4400+ at level 20.

I've got a nice Jacobs that has a +180% critical hit bonus. My favourite new sport is hunting Volatile Crystalisk's just for fun. Three shots and they are down. I now have over $80,000 dollars and climbing!

If you kill skaga mum, you get the bison rifle. No scope, but packs out hell of a punch. With lvl 30 and full sniper tree, I could crit with 36k+!

Leveled up to 40. TVHM is insane, the loot is so crazy. I shouldn't have wasted my time in normal mode for so long! Be prepared that your favorite weapons only last a lvl or 2 or so, in contrast to normal mode where I used some sniper 5-10 lvls. Loot is insane and clearly ramps up, superfun.

I just found the craziest weapon ever. A simple revolver. From Jacobs. Its not a pistol, a revolver and the shooting animations are adjusted to this - cool. Furthermore, damage is 2917!! Shoot as fast as you can due to Jacobs.

With the fast reload skill from Sniper tree and high double bullet chance from Two Fang skill from cunning...this simple weapon is such a beast with over 900 ammo, unbelievable! Its like being a cowboy on speed, when all the buffs of the skills kick in! Ripped through a horde of spiderants and goliaths and everything until I hit the boss, it was crazy...love this game! But difficulty is brutal, especially the bosses, they really need all what you have, tank so so much damage those bastards...

Btw: did one of you guys ever met Michael Mamaril in Sanctuary?

Last edited by a moderator:
It really does ramp up like crazy. Both the enemies and the loot. Just found an E-tech shotgun and sniper during co-op. The shotgun works like grenade launcher, and the sniper (which I got) shoots laser beams. It says -50% fire rate, but it still has an incredibly high rate of fire.

Luckely I also have something that gives me just a little extra sting to deal with the enemies. :devilish:

Edit: Michael Mamaril? If that's the guy who gives away free weapons in Sanctuary then I've met him once. Just after I reached Sanctuary for the first time, he was standing in a corner of Moxxi's bar. I've not seen him since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the typical spots where you can find Michael Mamaril.
  • Near the newsstand in Sanctuary's main plaza
  • In an alley down the street from the front entrance to Moxxi's
  • Inside Moxxi's, near the bar
  • Inside Moxxi's, in the side room across from Sir Hammerlock
  • In Marcus' weapons shop
  • Near Claptrap's location, at the end of the street and in front of a building
  • Inside Scooter's garage, near a stack of tires
  • Inside Crimson Raider headquarters in the room with Tannis
  • Inside Zed's clinic
  • To the left of the door to Crazy Earl's Black Market

"The NPC shares his name with a Borderlands fan that passed away in October 2011. Michael's friend, Carlo, sent Gearbox an email requesting that a short eulogy be read by Claptrap in order to honor his late friend's memory. Gearbox also promised to include Michael in Borderlands 2 as a tribute to the late Borderlands fan."

When you kill the final boss, you can choose playthrough 2 when you reload the the game right. Just like in the first Borderlands. Because I can't. If I choose continue it just put me back in playthrough 1 with no option to choose playthrough 2. So now I'm stuck with nothing left to do. Only join someone else's playthrough 2 in co-op. These ridiculous bugs are really starting to annoy me.

Back