Blue Ray has more momentum than HD-DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wco81 said:
DVD has only been around a bit longer than this video game generation.
The first DVD players launced in 1996. I don't know if four to five years constitutes "a bit".

who knows the market may just pick dvd and not go for hd-dvd or blue ray ( or may go with hd-dvd because of dvd in its name which has become a big brandname)

I guess my recollections are wrong.

However, the PS2 was popular in Japan partly because it was cheaper than any other DVD player. So circa 1999 or 2000, it was one of the best-selling DVD players in the world.

Guess DVD reached the mass market around the time of the PS2 launch in the US.

jvd said:
i still don't see the need for hd-dvd or blueray .

If they wait another 2 or 3 years they can do smoething much much better and we don't have to argue about the limitations .
Tech can always be prolonged, but the formats need to be there to catch the need on the upswing. HDTVs have been delayed long long enough already, but they're on a decent upswing, and having HD recorders and players will fuel their adoption, which in turn fuels player/recorder sales, which in turn... :p Dual-layer DVD's can't handle it, so they're preparing what WILL.

Offhand I don't think we're going to see much better than 30-50GB disks in the next few years--advancements would probably be more likely along the codec lines (which themselves could be rolled in later on, I suppose--though invariably the uptake is sluggish and doesn't hit mainstream; consider SACD, SVHS...) Companies want to be present at the beginning and help fuel the industry (and of course hope to become a standard), which means they have to be on the ground floor; they're not going to miss out on millions of unit sales (players AND recorders AND the TV's themselves which they invariably make...) and potentially tens and hundreds of millions of media sales by waiting until 2008-2009, where something "much much" better won't show anyway. Just how long has it taken dual-layering DVD's to follow single layers? How would we expect a quantum leap in technology in just a few short years with all the emphasis on what's showing up in the here and now?

What are you talking about??? No codec was design for HD-DVD or Blu-ray specifically, MPEG4 and WMV has been around longer than Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Also it was kind of funny what the members of the steering committee tried to hold back the DVD Forum, but that does not have to do with which format is superior or has the the most steam behind it.

Where did anyone say the compression algorithm was designed for HD-DVD?

Hmm, give me a link where HD-DVD has started to be mass produced, they just approved the specs a couple of weeks ago.

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/wcs/leaf/CID/onair/asabt/news/306301

HD-DVD = higher yields and also quicker to make = higher volume = cheaper

It is true that HD-DVD takes 3.5 secs and Blu-ray takes about 5 seconds to press right now, but they are working on getting the time down by other processes.

And the same can be said for HD-DVD. You think manufacturing of HD-DVD won't get even better, faster, cheaper?

Did you even read what you quoted? Both HD-DVD and blu-ray has an initial 10% cost, but blu-ray will end up cost less than HD-DVD. So the whole cost thing you are talking about is just a fantasy of yours.

Huh? How will BRD end up costing less than HD-DVD? Also where does it say BRD has a 10% initial cost? Is this with the hard coating??? Where can I find this info?

Again, give me a link where a single studios supports HD-DVD and where mass production of anybody from the HD-DVD camp started mass production. WB voted for AOD to become HD-DVD because AOD was the best format that was submitted the the Forum, it has nothing to do with blu-ray. WB stated that they was on the fence about what format to support, I can find the link if you want me to.

If WB are not in favor of HD-DVD they would've abstained or voted against HD-DVD, instead they voted in favor of HD-DVD. As a matter of fact, a "Hollywood" exec voiced his frustration over the BRF's tactics of impeding HD-DVD development. I wonder which studio this "Hollywood" exec works for. I guess you are right about one thing though..WB don't want to have anything to do with Blu-Ray that's why they voted in favor of HD-DVD when they could've easily abstained. ;) Regarding mass production I already posted the link above.

Of course they cannot release BD-ROM compatible player at this point of time, but I was talking about the near future.

And my point was they (BRF) don't have their act together regarding a read only (MOVIE) format...

Again did you even read what you quoted, I was talking about in a hypothetical situation where they could only make recorders. Since they was going to make only recorders they would only have one type of laser to make, bringing the cost of the laser down. But the point is that it is not the case and just something you made up to support your agrument.

Huh? Regular DVD recorders cost more to make because they need special electronics. Similarly BRD recorders are expensive because they have special optics and electronics. If you strip these from a BRD recorder to make a BRD player, the player will be cheaper than the recorder. It's very simple. If you only make recorders the cost won't come down as fast as stripping the extra electronics unless you make LOTS of recorders and as of right now I don't see lots of recorders despite the 13 CE companies backing it.

Because in the hypothetical situation that you made up from thin air, only blu-ray recorders could be made. Since only blu-ray recorders was being made the cost would come down much quicker than HD-DVD recorders that is not close to the quanity of blu-ray recorders . But again this is not the case and it is just something that you made up.

Uh..your logic is flawed and you're just not getting it. Just because there are no HD-DVD players on the market doesn't mean it will cost more to make compared to BRD recorders. You think the current factories making DVD players can't make HD-DVD players? Or do you think they have to build everything all over again?

It is true for only those 2 recorders, but not for any other once the spec gets approved. Of course DL-DVDs can record SD much cheaper, but it cannot record HDTV efficiently. About time HD-DVD recorders hit the market, the BD-ROM format will be approved and you will have players/recorders that can play back the format.

What's true is true. Regardless, when will the spec be approved??? Fact is it's all guess work at the BDA camp.

It's fact that the final HD-DVD-ROM spec has already been approved so any company that wants to start producing ROM discs, they can do so. Not so with BRD. Also how do you know that by the time HD-DVD players hit the market, the BD ROM spec will be finalized? Is there some sort of deadline? Got a link? Or is this just blind faith? Regardless the only people who are gonna buy BRD recorders to record HDTV are the rich and early adopters. The majority of people will be using SL/DL DVD recorders to record SDTV because it's cheap. So in the end BRD is still going to be a tough sell because it's expensive and niche and has to compete with cheap DVD recorders. You need HDTVs to view recorded HDTV content. You think the masses are gonna just drop what they're doing and scramble to get their hands on a BRD recorder? Fact is MOST consumers are perfectly happy with DVD quality recording which is MUCH better than SDTV. Also what about DVD recorders with built-in HDDs for the few who might want to record HDTV? Can't the HDD's be used to record HDTV? You think these DVD/HDD combo units will just magically become more expensive, roll over and die? :LOL:

A single multi-format codec? WTF is that? They have encoders in the PSX that can encode HDTV quality MPEG2? Of course they can include the ability to DECODE lots of different codecs, but ENCODING the mpeg2 transport stream into another codec is processor intensive and since they are re-encoding MPEG2 the quality will degrade.

Um...I'm afraid you just don't get it...you're obviously...lost. :LOL:

Any hardware can be fitted the decode MPEG-4 AVC and VC-9, it has nothing to do with HD-DVD or blu-ray. What was your point?

Really? If I buy a BRD recorder next year it would be guaranteed to have VC-9 encoding/decoding capability?

FACT: HD-DVD players WILL have hybrid VC-9/MPEG4 AVC decoders built into HD-DVD players next year. That IS guaranteed because that is what the HD-DVD spec requires.

No, but a studio has officially said it will support Blu-ray. Even though the studio is owned by Sony, it is still a studio with real movies. Sony is also finalizing a deal with MGM to buy their library.

SONY along with a couple of investment companies are TRYING to buy MGM. NOTHING has been decided. You think ZERO studios will support HD-DVD? You must be living in a dream world.

You was the one that said that HD-DVD will be cheaper, I never said that Blu-ray was going to cheaper. If I would have said something will be cheaper, I would have atleast some evidence of it.

Actually what I said was:

And for those who want to watch HD-DVD movies they'll buy not too expensive HD-DVD players.

That statement implies HD-DVD players will be cheaper than BRD recorders based on the fact that one is a simple player while the other is a complex recorder.

Of course if no one can buy a cheap Blu-ray player it doesn't matter, but the same applys to HD-DVD. That fact that 13 huge CE companies are backing blu-ray is reassuring that reasonably priced blu-ray players will be released. But this has nothing to do with Blu-ray and HD-DVD since it applys to both. The consumers will decided if HD movies on any format will take off, but the studios will decide which format that is.

And that's why I said 13 CE companies backing it means squat. Unless I see 13 different brands on the market it means NOTHING. It's always the BRD supporters that keep bringing it up even though it means nothing. I wonder why...must be because it's something to brag about with no realworld results.

No they can't, but can anyone buy any HD-DVD player that can play non-existent HD-DVD movies? The fact is that players will be released that can play BD-ROM. Sony has said their next blu-ray recorder will support BD-ROM playback. The people that will be buying the pansonic and have already bought the Sony are buying them for their recording abilities only, they know very well that they will not be able to playback BD-ROM.

Bottom line is, the HD-DVD-ROM spec has been approved while the BRD-ROM spec has not.

Movie studios don't consider let alone release movies when there is no ROM spec.

Where did anyone say the compression algorithm was designed for HD-DVD?

You did in a round around way, you said that the decorders where made for HD-DVD which is not true.

. Not only that, but the BRF don't have to design and manufacture the decoders themselves as that is already being done for HD-DVD anyway. The BRF are just leeching off of development work done for the HD-DVD spec.

Since the codecs was not designed for HD-DVD any decoders that are produced is made for any hardware that chooses to use it.

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/wcs/leaf/CID/onair/asabt/news/306301

HD-DVD = higher yields and also quicker to make = higher volume = cheaper

All that article says that Toshiba and NEC are ready to start mass producing HD-DVD, not that they are started. They have not started mass producing HD-DVD because their is nothing to mass produce right now.

And the same can be said for HD-DVD. You think manufacturing of HD-DVD won't get even better, faster, cheaper?

Of course it possibly could get faster and cheaper, but the point was that blu-ray could possibly get down to the same production rate. We do not know what is the limit of either format, but since HD-DVD uses production based on DVD we can safely assume that is more mature than Blu-ray and can not grow as much.

Huh? How will BRD end up costing less than HD-DVD? Also where does it say BRD has a 10% initial cost? Is this with the hard coating??? Where can I find this info?

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/524/524681p1.html and in the various White Papers on the official site.

If WB are not in favor of HD-DVD they would've abstained or voted against HD-DVD, instead they voted in favor of HD-DVD. As a matter of fact, a "Hollywood" exec voiced his frustration over the BRF's tactics of impeding HD-DVD development. I wonder which studio this "Hollywood" exec works for. I guess you are right about one thing though..WB don't want to have anything to do with Blu-Ray that's why they voted in favor of HD-DVD when they could've easily abstained. Regarding mass production I already posted the link above.

Warner voted for AOD to become the HD-DVD standard because it was the best format that was submitted to the DVD forum. Warner never voted HD-DVD over Blu-ray. If Blu-ray would have been submitted to the DVD forum and they would have voted for AOD you would have a point.

And my point was they (BRF) don't have their act together regarding a read only (MOVIE) format...

How do you figure this? The BDF is working with the studios to come up with a format that best suits the studios that is why the format has not been finalized yet.

Huh? Regular DVD recorders cost more to make because they need special electronics. Similarly BRD recorders are expensive because they have special optics and electronics. If you strip these from a BRD recorder to make a BRD player, the player will be cheaper than the recorder. It's very simple. If you only make recorders the cost won't come down as fast as stripping the extra electronics unless you make LOTS of recorders and as of right now I don't see lots of recorders despite the 13 CE companies backing it.

Well the point was that Blu-ray does not have to make only recorders like you suggested with or without my flawed logic about your unrealistic situation.

Uh..your logic is flawed and you're just not getting it. Just because there are no HD-DVD players on the market doesn't mean it will cost more to make compared to BRD recorders. You think the current factories making DVD players can't make HD-DVD players? Or do you think they have to build everything all over again?

Having no HD-DVD players on the market didn't have anything to do with Blu-ray costing less. What I stated was if Blu-ray could only be recorders then the part could be cheaper compared to Hd-Dvd recorders because Blu-ray recorder parts would be produced in much larger quanities than Hd-Dvd recorder parts.

But, the point is that Blu-ray makes don't have to make only recorders like you suggested.

What's true is true. Regardless, when will the spec be approved??? Fact is it's all guess work at the BDA camp.

It's fact that the final HD-DVD-ROM spec has already been approved so any company that wants to start producing ROM discs, they can do so. Not so with BRD. Also how do you know that by the time HD-DVD players hit the market, the BD ROM spec will be finalized? Is there some sort of deadline? Got a link? Or is this just blind faith? Regardless the only people who are gonna buy BRD recorders to record HDTV are the rich and early adopters. The majority of people will be using SL/DL DVD recorders to record SDTV because it's cheap. So in the end BRD is still going to be a tough sell because it's expensive and niche and has to compete with cheap DVD recorders. You need HDTVs to view recorded HDTV content. You think the masses are gonna just drop what they're doing and scramble to get their hands on a BRD recorder? Fact is MOST consumers are perfectly happy with DVD quality recording which is MUCH better than SDTV. Also what about DVD recorders with built-in HDDs for the few who might want to record HDTV? Can't the HDD's be used to record HDTV? You think these DVD/HDD combo units will just magically become more expensive, roll over and die?

You are right about something, the BD-Rom format is not complete and it is guess work for us. I am sure that the studios know what direction Blu-ray is going since it is relevant to them. I don't know for sure that the BD-Rom going to be finalized before a HD-DVD players hits the market, but since studios have already said that they will not release HD movies until the end of 2005 - beginning 2006 regardless of the format gives the Blu-ray camp tons of time.

Also we are comparing Hd-Dvd to Blu-ray, it has nothing to do with DVD recorders, HDD recorders or anything of that nature.

Um...I'm afraid you just don't get it...you're obviously...lost.

Of course I'm lost because nothing you said made sense.

Really? If I buy a BRD recorder next year it would be guaranteed to have VC-9 encoding/decoding capability?

I quoted you as saying that DL-DVD players could be equipped with VC-9/H.264 decoders. Blu-ray players can also be equipped with VC-9/H.264, but it is not requires just as it not required for DL-DVD players.

FACT: HD-DVD players WILL have hybrid VC-9/MPEG4 AVC decoders built into HD-DVD players next year. That IS guaranteed because that is what the HD-DVD spec requires

True, very true, never said it wasn't.

SONY along with a couple of investment companies are TRYING to buy MGM. NOTHING has been decided. You think ZERO studios will support HD-DVD? You must be living in a dream world.

I dont know if 0 studios will support Hd-Dvd, but we do know that atleast 1 will support Blu-ray. Also, reports say that the ink is drying on the Sony/MGM deal.

Actually what I said was:
And for those who want to watch HD-DVD movies they'll buy not too expensive HD-DVD players.
That statement implies HD-DVD players will be cheaper than BRD recorders based on the fact that one is a simple player while the other is a complex recorder.

Why would people have to buy a Blu-ray recorders to watch a HD Movie? Couldn't they just get a Blu-ray player that would be price about the same as a HD-DVD player.

And that's why I said 13 CE companies backing it means squat. Unless I see 13 different brands on the market it means NOTHING. It's always the BRD supporters that keep bringing it up even though it means nothing. I wonder why...must be because it's something to brag about with no realworld results.

Because these are the companies that mass produce the hardware.

Bottom line is, the HD-DVD-ROM spec has been approved while the BRD-ROM spec has not.

Movie studios don't release movies when there is no ROM spec.

Of course no sudio release movies when there is no Rom spec, but you are acting like there will never be a BD-Rom spec.

You did in a round around way, you said that the decorders where made for HD-DVD which is not true.

Um no...I said the decoders are being designed as we speak since you NEED to inlcude them in HD-DVD players next year.

Since the codecs was not designed for HD-DVD any decoders that are produced is made for any hardware that chooses to use it.

They are hybrid VC-9/MPEG4 AVC decoders. They're not being made for BRD since BRD hasn't been finalized sorry.

All that article says that Toshiba and NEC are ready to start mass producing HD-DVD, not that they are started. They have not started mass producing HD-DVD because their is nothing to mass produce right now.

Look at the date of the article. Now read the article again. Nobody said they were mass producing movies dude. The point is discs are being made in mass for companies who plan on making drives and players to test. The faster everything progresses the faster movies can be made not to mention economies of scale. Mass production provides this and again started last month.

Of course it possibly could get faster and cheaper, but the point was that blu-ray could possibly get down to the same production rate. We do not know what is the limit of either format, but since HD-DVD uses production based on DVD we can safely assume that is more mature than Blu-ray and can not grow as much.

Um no...a DL HD-DVD-ROM is 30GB. Show me a production DL DVD that is 30GB. Regardless HD-DVD manufacturing is ahead of BRD manufacturing in price, quantity, and quality. Doesn't matter if BRD eventually catches up to HD-DVD because both are heading towards the same goal of matching regular DVD manufacturing costs. HD-DVD is ahead in this game so it will reach the DVD cost target sooner. In other words, it doesn't matter if B catches A if A crosses the finish line long before B catches up.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/524/524681p1.html and in the various White Papers on the official site.

What matters for Hollywood studios to adopt a format early on is how much it costs initially, not how much it costs in the future which no one can accurately predict. Hollywood is interested in hard evidence not future cost predictions by groups pushing their own format.

Warner voted for AOD to become the HD-DVD standard because it was the best format that was submitted to the DVD forum. Warner never voted HD-DVD over Blu-ray. If Blu-ray would have been submitted to the DVD forum and they would have voted for AOD you would have a point.

Or they could've abstained or voted against it but instead they voted in favor of it. You don't vote in favor of something if you don't believe in it. Nobody was holding a gun to the heads of WB execs.

How do you figure this? The BDF is working with the studios to come up with a format that best suits the studios that is why the format has not been finalized yet.

The BDF can take however long it wants. You think the DVD Forum cares if they're (BDF) lagging behind HD-DVD? You think Hollywood cares? You think consumers care?

Well the point was that Blu-ray does not have to make only recorders like you suggested with or without my flawed logic about your unrealistic situation.

You can't make players without a ROM spec. So you either don't make them or you make recorders that won't be compatible with them.

Having no HD-DVD players on the market didn't have anything to do with Blu-ray costing less. What I stated was if Blu-ray could only be recorders then the part could be cheaper compared to Hd-Dvd recorders because Blu-ray recorder parts would be produced in much larger quanities than Hd-Dvd recorder parts.

And you know BRD recorders will cost less than HD-DVD recorders because?

But, the point is that Blu-ray makes don't have to make only recorders like you suggested.

And like I said you can't make players without a ROM spec. Is there an echo?

You are right about something, the BD-Rom format is not complete and it is guess work for us. I am sure that the studios know what direction Blu-ray is going since it is relevant to them. I don't know for sure that the BD-Rom going to be finalized before a HD-DVD players hits the market, but since studios have already said that they will not release HD movies until the end of 2005 - beginning 2006 regardless of the format gives the Blu-ray camp tons of time.

Of course the studios know what direction Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are going. The question is, does the BDA know what direction they're going? If they can't decide on which codecs to use for a ROM format then obviously they don't.

Also we are comparing Hd-Dvd to Blu-ray, it has nothing to do with DVD recorders, HDD recorders or anything of that nature.

This is the real world and it's never ideal...

I quoted you as saying that DL-DVD players could be equipped with VC-9/H.264 decoders. Blu-ray players can also be equipped with VC-9/H.264, but it is not requires just as it not required for DL-DVD players.

Actually this is what you said:

Any hardware can be fitted the decode MPEG-4 AVC and VC-9

And what's the point of equiping BRD recorders with those decoders when the ROM spec hasn't been finalized?

it has nothing to do with HD-DVD or blu-ray. What was your point?

It has EVERYTHING to do with HD-DVD.

First you say it has nothing to do with HD-DVD. Now you agree that it does?

I dont know if 0 studios will support Hd-Dvd, but we do know that atleast 1 will support Blu-ray. Also, reports say that the ink is drying on the Sony/MGM deal.

Which doesn't mean much when you don't have sources...

And there are rumors that at least two studios are seriously considering releasing HD-DVD movies, your point?

Because these are the companies that mass produce the hardware.

And where are these mysteriously mass produced BRD recorders from 13 CE companies you speak of?

Of course no sudio release movies when there is no Rom spec, but you are acting like there will never be a BD-Rom spec.

That's the million dollar question which you can't answer. If the ROM spec doesn't get approved soon then the chances of HD-DVD being adopted over BRD gets better each minute. Blu-Ray isn't racing against time, it's racing against HD-DVD. What happens if some of the BDA members companies decide to make both BRD and HD-DVD units? What happens if some companies decide to make BRD unit backwards compatible with HD-DVD for that extra marketing edge? Not so simple is it? This is the real world...;)

Isn't Warners one of the original members of the DVD Forum? I believe they have shares of the DVD patents.

Warren Liebfarb, the "father of the DVD," lead WB into the DVD. According to the link in the IGN story, he now runs his own company and that company was instrumental in getting VC-9 into the HD-DVD spec.

Warner would have no patent rights with BR but they may with HD-DVD.

Um no...I said the decoders are being designed as we speak since you NEED to inlcude them in HD-DVD players next year.

They are hybrid VC-9/MPEG4 AVC decoders. They're not being made for BRD since BRD hasn't been finalized sorry.

Sorry didn't know they where making hybrid decorders, I thought they were seperate. However, as you pointed out the BD-ROM spec hasn't been approved so we don't what codecs will be approved for them. If it's only VC-9 or only H.264 added, the decoders that was so-called made only for HD-DVD won't even be used anyway. Also, we don't even know if blu-ray will use the same decoders as Hd-DVD even if both codecs are approved.

Look at the date of the article. Now read the article again. Nobody said they were mass producing movies dude. The point is discs are being made in mass for companies who plan on making drives and players to test. The faster everything progresses the faster movies can be made not to mention economies of scale. Mass production provides this and again started last month.

I read it again, the article was posted last month. It says nothing about mass producing anything. All it say is that it will provide sample to those people, providing samples is far from mass producing.

Um no...a DL HD-DVD-ROM is 30GB. Show me a production DL DVD that is 30GB. Regardless HD-DVD manufacturing is ahead of BRD manufacturing in price, quantity, and quality. Doesn't matter if BRD eventually catches up to HD-DVD because both are heading towards the same goal of matching regular DVD manufacturing costs. HD-DVD is ahead in this game so it will reach the DVD cost target sooner. In other words, it doesn't matter if B catches A if A crosses the finish line long before B catches up.

The point was that HD-DVD is basically DVD with blue lasers. They advertise the fact they it use pretty much the same process as dvd.

What matters for Hollywood studios to adopt a format early on is how much it costs initially, not how much it costs in the future which no one can accurately predict. Hollywood is interested in hard evidence not future cost predictions by groups pushing their own format.

This is wrong. Why would it choose on how much it initially cost? Hollywood is worried about how much it will cost when they start making billions of disk. Also production is pretty much the lowest cost to the studios, licensing will be the major cost factor for them.

Or they could've abstained or voted against it but instead they voted in favor of it. You don't vote in favor of something if you don't believe in it. Nobody was holding a gun to the heads of WB execs.

What don't you get, there was nothing else to vote for that made any sense. If they would have not voted then they would not have any HD-DVD format. Since they are not in the blu-ray camp that would have been totally stupid. So the fact they voted for it doesn't mean that they think is better than blu-ray.

The BDF can take however long it wants. You think the DVD Forum cares if they're (BDF) lagging behind HD-DVD? You think Hollywood cares? You think consumers care?

Hollywood cares, if they didn't they would have chosen HD-DVD and went about their business. If the studios decide that they need a BD-ROM spec tomorrow to decide, then the BDA would approve it today. The fact is that Hollywood is not in a rush, they want the best deal.

You can't make players without a ROM spec. So you either don't make them or you make recorders that won't be compatible with them.

Like I said before, of course you can't make BD-ROM players with a BD-ROM spec, but you are acting like they have to make all of their recorders/players at this moment.

And you know BRD recorders will cost less than HD-DVD recorders because?

The fact is I don't, I was talking about in the unreal situation that you made up. In that unreal situation Blu-ray recorders would be cheaper according to your logic about if more is made the cheaper it cost.

And like I said you can't make players without a ROM spec. Is there an echo?

Like I said before, of course you can't, but you can once it is approved which will be before either group start mass producing any hardware.

Of course the studios know what direction Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are going. The question is, does the BDA know what direction they're going? If they can't decide on which codecs to use for a ROM format then obviously they don't.

The direction they are going is, is that they want to provide studios with the cheapest, most reliable, and technological advanced product they can. There is no rush to approve the BD-ROM since HD Movies is not going to start appearing to the end of next year.

Actually this is what you said:

Any hardware can be fitted the decode MPEG-4 AVC and VC-9

And what's the point of equiping BRD recorders with those decoders when the ROM spec hasn't been finalized?

The same point as equipping DVD players with them as you suggested, None.

it has nothing to do with HD-DVD or blu-ray. What was your point?

It has EVERYTHING to do with HD-DVD.

Dude you do mock up all of your agruments like this? The statement you are quoting was a statement about HD-DVD and Blu-ray having nothing to do about DL DVD player being fitted with VC-9/AVC codecs, but you leave that part out.

First you say it has nothing to do with HD-DVD. Now you agree that it does?

If you could follow post correctly, then you would understand that I was talking about two totally different things. The first time was about DL DVD being fitted with VC-9/AVC decoders for no particular reason, and the second time was about HD-DVD players being fit with VC-9/AVC decoders.

Which doesn't mean much when you don't have sources...

And there are rumors that at least two studios are seriously considering releasing HD-DVD movies, your point?

Sources for what?

Columbia Tri-Star supporting blu-ray? http://dvd.ign.com/articles/524/524681p1.html , the same source the topic was based on and the same one I been posting. Please read it atleast once, so I don't have to keep posting it.

The ink drying on the deal? http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=a5o49iWfYUDc&refer=us

HD-DVD support from any studio? Can't give a link because there is none.

And where are these mysteriously mass produced BRD recorders from 13 CE companies you speak of?

Nowhere yet, I should have worded it better because some people lack understanding. These are the companies that will be mass producing the hardware.

That's the million dollar question which you can't answer. If the ROM spec doesn't get approved soon then the chances of HD-DVD being adopted over BRD gets better each minute. Blu-Ray isn't racing against time, it's racing against HD-DVD.

I'm sure the BDA knows exactly when the studios needs the ROM format, and the fact is that they don't need it anytime soon.

Sorry didn't know they where making hybrid decorders, I thought they were seperate. However, as you pointed out the BD-ROM spec hasn't been approved so we don't what codecs will be approved for them. If it's only VC-9 or only H.264 added, the decoders that was so-called made only for HD-DVD won't even be used anyway. Also, we don't even know if blu-ray will use the same decoders as Hd-DVD even if both codecs are approved.

Exactly that's why I said:

They're not being made for BRD since BRD hasn't been finalized sorry.

In other words they're being made SPECIFICALLY for HD-DVD. ;)

I read it again, the article was posted last month. It says nothing about mass producing anything. All it say is that it will provide sample to those people, providing samples is far from mass producing.

May 9, 2004 (TOKYO) -- Toshiba Corp and NEC Corp have built the necessary facilities to mass-produce discs based on their proprietary HD DVD format, sources close to the matter said on May 8.

Two production lines for making HD DVDs have been installed at the Ibaraki Prefecture plant of Memory-Tech Corp, which supplies optical discs to Toshiba.

Two more lines will be set up at Memory-Tech's subsidiary in Yamanashi Prefecture in August.

Due to come onstream later this month, the lines can turn out one 30-gigabyte disc every 3.5 seconds.

No one knows how many HD-DVDs they've produced since May, but the fact of the matter is they have mass production facilites producing HD-DVDs since May.

The point was that HD-DVD is basically DVD with blue lasers. They advertise the fact they it use pretty much the same process as dvd.

And I described how BRD catching up is moot since you said:

Your arguments are shifting left and right with nowhere to go...give it up.

This is wrong. Why would it choose on how much it initially cost? Hollywood is worried about how much it will cost when they start making billions of disk. Also production is pretty much the lowest cost to the studios, licensing will be the major cost factor for them.

READ MY POST! I said EARLY adoption. WTF do you think everyone is talking about initial costs??? You think studios would release movies if the inital costs are high??? Eventual cost will come down for BOTH formats no f*cking DUH so its MOOT.

What don't you get, there was nothing else to vote for that made any sense. If they would have not voted then they would not have any HD-DVD format. Since they are not in the blu-ray camp that would have been totally stupid. So the fact they voted for it doesn't mean that they think is better than blu-ray.

And what don't YOU get??? They didn't have to vote IN FAVOR, but they did plain and simple. You think WB wasn't aware of the BRF's competing technology??? If they thought BRD was better they would've abstained or voted against AOD. BRD is not some secret technology that the Hollywood studios know nothing about. :LOL:

Hollywood cares, if they didn't they would have chosen HD-DVD and went about their business. If the studios decide that they need a BD-ROM spec tomorrow to decide, then the BDA would approve it today. The fact is that Hollywood is not in a rush, they want the best deal.

Of course Hollywood is not in a rush. Nobody said they were. What I said from my previous post which you conveniently ignored and shifted onto a tangent was the fact that:

If the ROM spec doesn't get approved soon then the chances of HD-DVD being adopted over BRD by Hollywood gets better each minute. Blu-Ray isn't racing against time, it's racing against HD-DVD.

As a matter of fact HD-DVD already satisfy the 9 requirements from the Hollywood studios. You think all of Hollywood is secretly lined up behind BDA waiting to jump on the Blu-Ray wagon no matter how long they take to decide which codecs to use? :LOL:

Like I said before, of course you can't make BD-ROM players with a BD-ROM spec, but you are acting like they have to make all of their recorders/players at this moment.

The point is they're behind HD-DVD in getting a ROM spec approved no ifs or buts.

The fact is I don't, I was talking about in the unreal situation that you made up. In that unreal situation Blu-ray recorders would be cheaper according to your logic about if more is made the cheaper it cost.

First of all it's not an unreal situation. The situation CAN happen seeing how HD-DVD players will be available next year and BDA not yet being able to decide on approving the ROM codecs. Second you admit that you don't know if BRD recorders would be cheaper than HD-DVD recorders in that situation which IS entirely possible unless you are from the future.

Like I said before, of course you can't, but you can once it is approved which will be before either group start mass producing any hardware.

So now you are 100% sure it will be approved before HD-DVD hits the market? You MUST be from the future. :LOL:

The direction they are going is, is that they want to provide studios with the cheapest, most reliable, and technological advanced product they can. There is no rush to approve the BD-ROM since HD Movies is not going to start appearing to the end of next year.

And how do you know 100% that movies from OTHER studios won't want to hit the market sooner than this on HD-DVD? SONY's studios sure...duh. Of course SONY which is the head of BDA are waiting for their own studios' decision. It's not rocket science. I'm talking about OTHER studios. Got any facts on that?? Didn't think so.

The same point as equipping DVD players with them as you suggested, None.

Um no it's not the same. :LOL: Regular DVD players could be equiped because the HD-DVD spec isn't restricted to just blue laser understand? The HD-DVD spec allows for VC-9/MPEG4 decoders to be used with regular DVD-9s if the studios feel they don't want to release or don't NEED the extra space of the slightly more expensive 30GB HD-DVDs. In this situation HD movies on DVD-9s can be played back on BOTH regular cheap red laser DVD players equipped with those VC-9/MPGE4 decoders AND the upcoming blue laser HD-DVD players. Studios love the idea that they can use regular cheap DVD-9 to store a HD movie and use a second disc for bonus material like many DVD movies that uses 2 discs. The benefit is two-fold. Existing DVD players are dirt cheap. Equiping it with HD-DVD decoders will only add little to the overal cost of the player which means many people would be able to buy it and watch HD-DVD-9s which the studios like. The fact blue laser HD-DVD devices would also be able to decode these movies is a HUGE bonus in that the studios don't have to depend on sales of these blue laser HD-DVD players to pickup in order to sell loads of HD-DVDs.

Dude you do mock up all of your agruments like this? The statement you are quoting was a statement about HD-DVD and Blu-ray having nothing to do about DL DVD player being fitted with VC-9/AVC codecs, but you leave that part out.

It's not a mockup it's a response to this:

Any hardware can be fitted the decode MPEG-4 AVC and VC-9, it has nothing to do with HD-DVD or blu-ray. What was your point?

At this point VC-9/MPEG4 decoders have EVERYTHING to do with HD-DVD and NOTHING to do with BRD.

If you could follow post correctly, then you would understand that I was talking about two totally different things. The first time was about DL DVD being fitted with VC-9/AVC decoders for no particular reason, and the second time was about HD-DVD players being fit with VC-9/AVC decoders.

Which is moot read above about red laser DVD players being able to play HD-DVD-9s.

Sources for what?

Official confirmation that MGM is 99% purchased.

The ink drying on the deal?

That source is not proof that MGM is 99% purchased. As a matter of fact.

``The report is just speculation,'' said Keita Sanekata, a spokesman for Sony at the company's headquarters in Tokyo. ``Our position remains the same.''

So the USA report is just speculation. In other words it means squat. ;)

HD-DVD support from any studio? Can't give a link because there is none.

And no one said any studios officially stated they will, but you're living in a dream world if you think HD-DVD will have ZERO support from Hollywood. :LOL:

Nowhere yet, I should have worded it better because some people lack understanding. These are the companies that will be mass producing the hardware.

Exactly...NOWHERE in sight, and yes they probably will be manufacturing BRD recorders eventually how many and when one knows because they haven't said anything. No point in beating that drum if nothing has been said.

PC-Engine,

Your argument is such utter rubbish. I can't wait to see you around the forum in a year... This 'war' was over before it started, HD-DVD never had a chance.

PS. I especially like the 'steamy' comment about BD-ROM/Blu Ray supporting MPEG-4-AVC for a failure fallback to HD-DVD. Talk about turning shit into a diamond.

Vince said:
PC-Engine,

Your argument is such utter rubbish. I can't wait to see you around the forum in a year... This 'war' was over before it started, HD-DVD never had a chance.

PS. I especially like the 'steamy' comment about BD-ROM/Blu Ray supporting MPEG-4-AVC for a failure fallback to HD-DVD. Talk about turning shit into a diamond.

Hehe just try to enjoy the show Vince. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back