Blue Ray has more momentum than HD-DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<shrugs> All a part of doing business. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD butting heads SHOULD ultimately give us the best results, as they have to play off each other to compete with each other, and drive up developments in new and interesting ways. If Blu-Ray picks up the same codecs it's certainly not funny for HD-DVD, as they'd be kicked down a notch in comparison again. (With no arguing room as to how capacities compare to record time and options...)

We'll have confusion in the beginning, as we had with conflicting DVD standards, but that's find because they pretty much have years to spar back and forth before anyone seriously has to make their decision.

Will studios be looking for easier initial profits or charting the course for upwards of a decade? How much say will computer OEM's have over hardware choice? When will HD-DVD or Blu-Ray head to common consumers and for how much; will either be included in a product that dramatically increases its recognizability more than the other?

<shrugs> Guess we get to find this out.

As an example, just look the effect Gmail had on other email providers around the net. Yahoo provides 100MB for free, now Hotmail will upgrade it free accounts to 250MB... In the end who gains from this competition? Us!

So, really, i think this war of words is useless, we should embrace what competition gives us.

One thing, having 2 players, one BR and one HDDVD would totally suck. But that's about the only thing.

Are we positive that VC-9 or H.264 at 6 Mbps or 9 Mbps or whatever HD-DVD is using is going to be superior to MPEG2 at up to 36 Mbps?

I know they've given demos at low bitrates but some people note that MPEG2 encoders, particularly real-time encoders used for broadcast, are by now reliable and proven.

wco81 said:
Are we positive that VC-9 or H.264 at 6 Mbps or 9 Mbps or whatever HD-DVD is using is going to be superior to MPEG2 at up to 36 Mbps?

I know they've given demos at low bitrates but some people note that MPEG2 encoders, particularly real-time encoders used for broadcast, are by now reliable and proven.

I say there's only so much you can compress something until u see the effects of compression.

Why would they use 6-9? They could put 5+ hours of video on disc at that bitrate.

BTW dont underestimate just how much the entropy coding for MPEG-2 sucks compared to the state of the art ... and better entropy coding does not cost you quality.

Okay, then lets say BR uses VC-9 or H.264 at 36 Mbps.

Are there enough displays in the market to do justice to this superior HD source?

What kind of difference would you see on HDTV sets which were designed and built around the expectation that the best source you'd have is 1080i or 720p at 19Mbps tops?

Yes eventually more displays will do 1080p (24fps? 30fps? 60fps?).

If there are going to be affordable (around $2000) displays and VC-9 or H.264 are the only ways to get 1080p at 60fps, then it would make sense.

But all of the tape and disc formats which have been developed and commercialized have been slightly better than the broadcast standard, not a lot better, which would be the case with 1080p60fps (don't get me wrong, I'd love it).

wco81 said:

Have you watched a show on DirecTV or DISH on a good TV monitor, lately? :p

I don't know what MPEG they use on their HD feeds, but those aren't much to write home about wrt artifacts, either.

PC-Engine said:
Initially the BRF downplayed MPEG4 and VC-9 for various reasons and had zero intention of incorporating it into the BRD spec. Now they're not so confident in excluding those codecs and are backpedaling and reassesing the situation because the DVD Forum has approved those codecs in the final ver 1 of the HD-DVD-ROM spec. which will see HD-DVD players next year. Mass production of HD-DVD-ROM has already started. HD-DVD discs can be made faster and cheaper (higher yields) than BRD.

They didn't include MPEG4 and VC-9 because when they compared them to MPEG2 a year ago their quality wasn't good enough. They are giving them another chance because they have made improvements to the codecs. To be fair, the way they found out about the major improvement was because they seen it when they had to approve it for HD-DVD since most Blu-ray members are on the DVD steering comittee.

Mass production of HD-DVD-ROM has not started, where did you get this BS from? NOT ONE STUDIO supports HD-DVD at this time. Also from what I read, HD-DVD and blu-ray both has an initial 10% cost increase, but Blu-ray offers cheaper production once it becomes the main format.

You will see HD-DVD movies and players next year followed by HD-DVD recorders.

Again, at this time no one knows if any movie will ever be released on HD-DVD since no studio supports that format right now.

The problem I see with BRD is that they have to release recorders instead of players which will make it difficult to compete on a price level with HD-DVD players. If you look at the present situation between DVD players and DVD recorders, you'll see a big price gap.

Hmm, where did you read that they have to release recorders. Even they have to release only recorders the prices could actually become cheaper since they only have to make a recording laser bringing the cost down because the sheer amount made. Also if this was the case, HD-DVD recorders would be wayyyy more expensive than blu-ray ones. I not sure how this would be a disadvantage, but it is not the case anyway.

The other problem with BRD is that it will also be competing with regular red laser dual layer DVD recorders which will be coming out soon and not costing much more than single layer recorders.

And how is this an advantage of HD-DVD? They both have the same problem.

Then there's the possibility of red laser dual layer HD-DVD recorders using VC-9 and MPEG4 on the horizon not to mention blue laser recorders.

Hmm, recording will be MPEG2 for both formats simply because it takes tons of processing power to encode a HDTV singal into any codec, especially VC-9 or MPEG4 since they are compressed more.

Consumers will not be jumping to get BRD recorders that cost 2-3 times of regular DL DVD recorders just so they can record HD broadcasts on expensive BRD media. Most of them will be purchasing DL DVD recorders that can also use cheap single layer DVD-R/RWs.

Is this the same reason people use CD's to record SD broadcast? When people start to want to record HD, DVDs will not be an option.

And for those who want to watch HD-DVD movies they'll buy not too expensive HD-DVD players.

Again, at this time there is no Studio support for HD-DVD. Plus there is no evidence that HD-DVD players will be cheaper. You have to remember that the only big CE companies that support HD-DVD is NEC and Toshiba, while Blu-ray has 13 big CE companies.

Also the finally codecs has not been approved for the BD-ROM format. So everything you said about VC-9 and MPEG-4 can very well be applied to Blu-ray as well.

If you have to say MPEG-4 when you mean H.264 please say MPEG-4-AVC. AFAICS they didnt test MPEG-4 asp (or VC-9 for that matter).

london-boy said:
I say there's only so much you can compress something until u see the effects of compression.
Well, that all depends on the compression scheme used.
The whole universe decompressed from an infinitely small point, or one bit. Now that is compression for ya! :p

MfA said:
If you have to say MPEG-4 when you mean H.264 please say MPEG-4-AVC. AFAICS they didnt test MPEG-4 asp (or VC-9 for that matter).

Fair enough, I'll use Mpeg4-AVC. I just use Mpeg4 because I think people know what I'm talking about, and it is the codec HD-DVD is using.

For as I know they did test VC-9, according to this article.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=7839&catType=NEWS

After rejecting a bid last year by Microsoft to incorporate its Windows Media 9 compression/decompression system into Blu-ray's specifications, the Group is "re-evaluating" Microsoft's proposal in light of "significant advances" made in the technology in recent months, said Mike Fidler, senior VP of Sony's Blu-ray Disc unit.

Also getting a second look is the MPEG-4 AVC compression system, sometimes called H.264, which was rejected last year as well.

Since they said re-evaluating VC-9, they must have evaluated it before.

They didn't include MPEG4 and VC-9 because when they compared them to MPEG2 a year ago their quality wasn't good enough. They are giving them another chance because they have made improvements to the codecs. To be fair, the way they found out about the major improvement was because they seen it when they had to approve it for HD-DVD since most Blu-ray members are on the DVD steering comittee.

Riiiight.

It's obvious why they want the same codecs that were approved for HD-DVD. It's a safety net, just in case BRD flops, they can always make them (the BRD recorders) backwards compatible with HD-DVD with some modifications. Not only that, but the BRF don't have to design and manufacture the decoders themselves as that is already being done for HD-DVD anyway. The BRF are just leeching off of development work done for the HD-DVD spec. while at the same time selfishly supporting their own format. It's funny how the BRF tried to stifle HD-DVD progress by voting against HD-DVD's approval only to later find that new steering committee members were elected negating their silly futile tactics.

Mass production of HD-DVD-ROM has not started, where did you get this BS from? NOT ONE STUDIO supports HD-DVD at this time. Also from what I read, HD-DVD and blu-ray both has an initial 10% cost increase, but Blu-ray offers cheaper production once it becomes the main format.

Yes it has, not to mention cost less to manufacture than BRD. BRD takes longer to press and the yields are inferior to HD-DVD-ROM. Those are the facts.

Again, at this time no one knows if any movie will ever be released on HD-DVD since no studio supports that format right now.

HD-DVD players and movies will be released next year. Why in the world would Toshiba release HD-DVD PLAYERS with nothing to play??? Again mass production of HD-DVD-ROM has already started. WB is one of the steering committee members that voted in favor of HD-DVD. Just because they haven't publicly stated their intention of releasing movies on HD-DVD doesn't mean they won't.

Hmm, where did you read that they have to release recorders. Even they have to release only recorders the prices could actually become cheaper since they only have to make a recording laser bringing the cost down because the sheer amount made.

How can they release BRD players if the ROM spec hasn't been approved? The sheer amount made? What sheer amount you talking about? Oh you mean the handful of $3000 SONY BRD recorders on the market right?

Also if this was the case, HD-DVD recorders would be wayyyy more expensive than blu-ray ones. I not sure how this would be a disadvantage, but it is not the case anyway.

And why would HD-DVD recorders be wayyy more expensive than BRD ones? Why would it even be more expensive in the first place? Care to explain?

Maybe because HD-DVD players/recorders will be able to read HD-DVD-ROMs when they hit the market? The SONY and Panasonic BRD recorders can't read BRD-ROMs because the ROM spec hasn't been finalized, therefore they have to rely on their recording feature which DL DVD recorders can do much much cheaper.

Hmm, recording will be MPEG2 for both formats simply because it takes tons of processing power to encode a HDTV singal into any codec, especially VC-9 or MPEG4 since they are compressed more.

Just because it takes more processing power doesn't mean somebody isn't already developing a single multi-format codec. You think the encoders in the PSXs are made by SONY? You think every company that currently makes a DVD recorder makes their own encoder chips? As a matter of fact you can replace an MPEG2 decoder with a hybrid VC-9/MPEG4/MPEG2 decoder with only a small increase in cost so they can even use them in regular cheap red laser DVD players. Studios have the option of using regular DVD-9 in conjunction with VC-9 or MPEG4 if they choose.

Is this the same reason people use CD's to record SD broadcast? When people start to want to record HD, DVDs will not be an option.

Existing DL DVD recorders can always be fitted with the newer HD-DVD codecs with only a small increase in cost.

Again, at this time there is no Studio support for HD-DVD.

And where can a guy with a $3000 BRD recorder buy BRD movies right now?

Plus there is no evidence that HD-DVD players will be cheaper.

And there is no evidence BRD recorders are cheap either what's your point?

You have to remember that the only big CE companies that support HD-DVD is NEC and Toshiba, while Blu-ray has 13 big CE companies.

Um..if a person can't buy a cheap BRD player to play HD movies, it doesn't really matter if 500 companies are backing it. Ultimately the consumer decides not the CE companies.

Also the finally codecs has not been approved for the BD-ROM format. So everything you said about VC-9 and MPEG-4 can very well be applied to Blu-ray as well.

Um yeah but how can someone with a $3000 SONY BRD recorder play those encoded movies? How can someone play those movies on the Panasonic recorder coming out next month?

PC-Engine said:

Riiiight.

It's obvious why they want the same codecs that were approved for HD-DVD. It's a safety net, just in case BRD flops, they can always make them (the BRD recorders) backwards compatible with HD-DVD with some modifications. Not only that, but the BRF don't have to design and manufacture the decoders themselves as that is already being done for HD-DVD anyway. The BRF are just leeching off of development work done for the HD-DVD spec. while at the same time selfishly supporting their own format. It's funny how the BRF tried to stifle HD-DVD progress by voting against HD-DVD's approval only to later find that new steering committee members were elected negating their silly futile tactics.

What are you talking about??? No codec was design for HD-DVD or Blu-ray specifically, MPEG4 and WMV has been around longer than Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Also it was kind of funny what the members of the steering committee tried to hold back the DVD Forum, but that does not have to do with which format is superior or has the the most steam behind it.

Yes it has, not to mention cost less to manufacture than BRD. BRD takes longer to press and the yields are inferior to HD-DVD-ROM. Those are the facts.

Hmm, give me a link where HD-DVD has started to be mass produced, they just approved the specs a couple of weeks ago. It is true that HD-DVD takes 3.5 secs and Blu-ray takes about 5 seconds to press right now, but they are working on getting the time down by other processes.

Did you even read what you quoted? Both HD-DVD and blu-ray has an initial 10% cost, but blu-ray will end up cost less than HD-DVD. So the whole cost thing you are talking about is just a fantasy of yours.

HD-DVD players and movies will be released next year. Why in the world would Toshiba release HD-DVD PLAYERS with nothing to play??? Again mass production of HD-DVD-ROM has already started. WB is one of the steering committee members that voted in favor of HD-DVD. Just because they haven't publicly stated their intention of releasing movies on HD-DVD doesn't mean they won't.

Again, give me a link where a single studios supports HD-DVD and where mass production of anybody from the HD-DVD camp started mass production. WB voted for AOD to become HD-DVD because AOD was the best format that was submitted the the Forum, it has nothing to do with blu-ray. WB stated that they was on the fence about what format to support, I can find the link if you want me to.

Hmm, where did you read that they have to release recorders. Even they have to release only recorders the prices could actually become cheaper since they only have to make a recording laser bringing the cost down because the sheer amount made.

How can they release BRD players if the ROM spec hasn't been approved? The sheer amount made? What sheer amount you talking about? Oh you mean the handful of $3000 SONY BRD recorders on the market right?

Of course they cannot release BD-ROM compatible player at this point of time, but I was talking about the near future.

Again did you even read what you quoted, I was talking about in a hypothetical situation where they could only make recorders. Since they was going to make only recorders they would only have one type of laser to make, bringing the cost of the laser down. But the point is that it is not the case and just something you made up to support your agrument.

Also if this was the case, HD-DVD recorders would be wayyyy more expensive than blu-ray ones. I not sure how this would be a disadvantage, but it is not the case anyway.

And why would HD-DVD recorders be wayyy more expensive than BRD ones? Why would it even be more expensive in the first place? Care to explain?

Because in the hypothetical situation that you made up from thin air, only blu-ray recorders could be made. Since only blu-ray recorders was being made the cost would come down much quicker than HD-DVD recorders that is not close to the quanity of blu-ray recorders . But again this is not the case and it is just something that you made up.

Maybe because HD-DVD players/recorders will be able to read HD-DVD-ROMs when they hit the market? The SONY and Panasonic BRD recorders can't read BRD-ROMs because the ROM spec hasn't been finalized, therefore they have to rely on their recording feature which DL DVD recorders can do much much cheaper.

It is true for only those 2 recorders, but not for any other once the spec gets approved. Of course DL-DVDs can record SD much cheaper, but it cannot record HDTV efficiently. About time HD-DVD recorders hit the market, the BD-ROM format will be approved and you will have players/recorders that can play back the format.

Just because it takes more processing power doesn't mean somebody isn't already developing a single multi-format codec. You think the encoders in the PSXs are made by SONY? You think every company that currently makes a DVD recorder makes their own encoder chips? As a matter of fact you can replace an MPEG2 decoder with a hybrid VC-9/MPEG4/MPEG2 decoder with only a small increase in cost so they can even use them in regular cheap red laser DVD players. Studios have the option of using regular DVD-9 in conjunction with VC-9 or MPEG4 if they choose.

A single multi-format codec? WTF is that? They have encoders in the PSX that can encode HDTV quality MPEG2? Of course they can include the ability to DECODE lots of different codecs, but ENCODING the mpeg2 transport stream into another codec is processor intensive and since they are re-encoding MPEG2 the quality will degrade.

Existing DL DVD recorders can always be fitted with the newer HD-DVD codecs with only a small increase in cost.

Any hardware can be fitted the decode MPEG-4 AVC and VC-9, it has nothing to do with HD-DVD or blu-ray. What was your point?

Again, at this time there is no Studio support for HD-DVD.

And where can a guy with a $3000 BRD recorder buy BRD movies right now?

No, but a studio has officially said it will support Blu-ray. Even though the studio is owned by Sony, it is still a studio with real movies. Sony is also finalizing a deal with MGM to buy their library.

Plus there is no evidence that HD-DVD players will be cheaper.

And there is no evidence BRD recorders are cheap either what's your point?

You was the one that said that HD-DVD will be cheaper, I never said that Blu-ray was going to cheaper. If I would have said something will be cheaper, I would have atleast some evidence of it.

You have to remember that the only big CE companies that support HD-DVD is NEC and Toshiba, while Blu-ray has 13 big CE companies.

Um..if a person can't buy a cheap BRD player to play HD movies, it doesn't really matter if 500 companies are backing it. Ultimately the consumer decides not the CE companies.

Of course if no one can buy a cheap Blu-ray player it doesn't matter, but the same applys to HD-DVD. That fact that 13 huge CE companies are backing blu-ray is reassuring that reasonably priced blu-ray players will be released. But this has nothing to do with Blu-ray and HD-DVD since it applys to both. The consumers will decided if HD movies on any format will take off, but the studios will decide which format that is.

Um yeah but how can someone with a $3000 SONY BRD recorder play those encoded movies? How can someone play those movies on the Panasonic recorder coming out next month?

No they can't, but can anyone buy any HD-DVD player that can play non-existent HD-DVD movies? The fact is that players will be released that can play BD-ROM. Sony has said their next blu-ray recorder will support BD-ROM playback. The people that will be buying the pansonic and have already bought the Sony are buying them for their recording abilities only, they know very well that they will not be able to playback BD-ROM.

As an eventual consumer for these products, there are a few things that I demand of any next generation format, be that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray:

1) 1080p at 30fps minimum. 60fps preferred, but unlikely.
2) Lossless compressed audio. DTS and DD aren't enough.
3) VC9.0 or H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)
4) Blue laser based format. I refuse to buy any red laser HD DVDs.

Both formats have enough disc capacity for the above prerequisits. However, given the information we know so far, HD-DVD is the only format that will meet those requirements (although not "officially" ratified).

Unless the supposed reevaluation by the Blu-ray group results in them adopting more advanced codecs for both audio and video, HD-DVD will be getting my money.

KnightBreed said:
As an eventual consumer for these products, there are a few things that I demand of any next generation format, be that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray:

1) 1080p at 30fps minimum. 60fps preferred, but unlikely.
2) Lossless compressed audio. DTS and DD aren't enough.
3) VC9.0 or H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)
4) Blue laser based format. I refuse to buy any red laser HD DVDs.

Both formats have enough disc capacity for the above prerequisits. However, given the information we know so far, HD-DVD is the only format that will meet those requirements (although not "officially" ratified).

Unless the supposed reevaluation by the Blu-ray group results in them adopting more advanced codecs for both audio and video, HD-DVD will be getting my money.

1. Most likely movies will be 24fps since it is what hollywoods shoots at.
2. Agree, but this is up to the studios not Blu-ray or HD-DVD.
3. Only if they offer greater PQ.
4. Of course.

HD-DVD will not ganuratee Lossless audio, it was not approved. People assume just because the other codecs are more efficient it offers better quality. If you read part 3 of the white papers on http://www.blu-raydisc-official.org it shows that between mpeg2 and H.264, the only codec with sufficient quality for all type of HD was mpeg2 @ 24mbps.

Also, if the studios decide to go with Blu-ray we will have no choice to buy it if you want HD movies, the same applies if they choose HD-DVD except for the blu-ray titles from CTS.

i still don't see the need for hd-dvd or blueray .

If they wait another 2 or 3 years they can do smoething much much better and we don't have to argue about the limitations .

The BR camp is emphasizing that their format is designed for the future, which seemed to be an implied dig at HD-DVD, as if it's not as advanced.

We are in a digital television transition so a lot of things are flux, especially display technologies.

DVD has only been around a bit longer than this video game generation. It's interesting that would-be successors to consoles and DVDs are coming out at the same time-frame.

But realistically, you would think one of these new disc formats would end up having the lifecycle of VHS. I can't imagine there will be another home video format in 5-10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back