BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch

Update 03/08/2007 (Version 0.9)

This new version adds enhanced dynamic shadows & reflections.

Beyond FSAA, this is the first true quality enhancement, with respect to the default quality in the game.

You can customize the quality of both features for proper performance & video memory usage.

Thank you very much & enjoy playing with Rayne !

Note: I would like to update the main post.

Update 13/10/2007 (Version 1.0)

Update 13/10/2007 (Version 1.0)

This new version adds enhanced blood pools reflections, enhanced transparent water, enhanced blood fields, enhanced aura vision, ... some little options, and a configuration tool for the patch.

Enhanced Aura Vision:

Enhanced Blood Fields:

Update 27/10/2007 (Version 1.1)

This new version adds several video memory optimizations, more AA modes, & more AA compatibility options. It also should fix the problems that some users had with the pre-rendered videos of the game. It's a recommended update.

Update 27/10/2007 (Version 1.2)

This new version adds a speed optimization, & an option to resize the HUD. It's a recommended update, in special for the 8800GTX users, cause it runs a 10-20% faster.

You're really serious about this, thank you very much for increasing the already gerat experience with this game! You rock man :)

Update 05/11/2007 (Version 1.21)

This is a quickfix for the HUD options. They should work now in all the resolutions.
Also, new options to resize/move the HUDs of the bosses have been added.

Well,

If nobody hasn't any problem to fix, or any other feature to request, i can conclude that the patch is finished.

I can't add more enhancements with the actual method (at least, not the ones that i would like).

I would like to enhance the shader programs of the game, but, i need their source code before. I'm trying to write a shader disassembler to do this, but, it's a project that i dunno if i could accomplish. I need help.

Thank you very much, and i hope that you've enjoyed my work.

I'll keep working on the shader disassembler, but, it will need a lot of time.

There's no documentation about that. All i can do is start to compile programs & try to use reverse engineering. There's some info in the d3d headers, but, almost nothing.

I also tried to run the shaders in Direct3D9, & use the DirectX.Direct3D.ShaderLoader.DisassembleShader function, but, it failed to disassemble all the programs except this simple program:

ps_1_1
tex t0
tex t1
mul r0, t0, t1
mul r0, r0, v0

If i've success, i'll start to work on version 2.0 of the patch, with new shader programs for better effects. And if somebody has more reqs, i eventually could rel more updates of the version 1.x

It would be truly great if it's possible to add some detail textures hack kinda Unreal1-style. I don't know if it's doable in some easy way, but if it is that would be killer.

Keep up the great work and thanks again for your efforts! :)

Thank you for all of your hard work!

I just want to thank you for adding some very surprising support to this game.

With your additions, I feel that Blood Rayne 2 is one of the most attractive games I have played!

26 / 01 / 2008 - Version 1.4

Welcome to the public version 1.4 of the BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch.

This new version adds custom shader programs to enhance the following effects: wave pools, water & blood fields. These new shaders use reflection, perlin refraction & bump mapping techniques. The shaders are written in D3D ASM, & they require VS 1.1 & PS 1.4.

Enhanced Blood Fields / Enhanced Water / Enhanced Wave Pool:

Perlin effects need a huge computing power. My decision here has been to use the CPU power, cause the game is very bounded by the GPU power. Therefore, i've developed a multi-threaded perlin algorithm optimized 100% in assembler with SSE3. As result, dual core users won't have any performance hit on the FPS, and quad core users will enjoy smoother effects. In the future there will be a SSE4.1 version too (as soon as i get my Q9450 :D)

Remember to set 'numWorkerThreads = NumberOfCores - 1' to avoid a performance hit on the FPS. Dual core users should set '1', and Quad Core users '3'. This way, you'll enjoy all these enhancements without any drop in your FPS. Single core users must set '1', and they will have a performance hit on the zones with the new effects.

Also, the configuration program includes a new 'benchmark tool' for your multi-core CPU. It has profiles for different sorts of benchmarks. If you configure a custom long benchmark, i can tell you that it will overheat your CPU to unknown levels :D It's an excellent test for any multi-core CPU. You can run it without the game. I hope to see your results soon (Less Total Time = Better Result).

About the Forceware drivers, i can tell you that the patch works perfectly with version 169.01, but, SSAA is totally broken since 169.21, and 171.x causes huge stability problems while running the game. About ATI users, well, i'm sorry, but, i haven't any ATI card installed atm to try it, but i really would love to investigate it, in special for CF setups on Intel mobos.

Last, i would like to announce that i'm going to start another project with a good friend, to remake the textures of the game in high resolution. The project might be called 'BloodRayne 2 HD'. Therefore, if you can contribute, send me a pm or something. Artists are needed.

Special thanks to the game developers & publishers (Terminal Reality & Majesco) for allowing me to release this patch.

Back