BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch

Rayne

Newcomer
After 6 months of research & development, this is the first public release.

Special thanks to the game developers & publishers (Terminal Reality & Majesco) for allowing me to release this patch.

You can download it at: http://www.coopdb.com/modules.php?name=BR2fsaa

This is dedicated to all the BloodRayne fans.

If you need technical help, or if you've any question or suggestion, please, post them at the official forum of the patch (http://www.coopdb.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=25), to keep everything at the same place.

Thank you very much & enjoy playing with Rayne !

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! I was just getting ready to replay BR2 again, and I have wanted to be able to use AA in it since I found out it was broke. :)

Thanks!!!! :D

EDITED BITS: Oh great, it's only been tested on nVidia. :???:

That's ok, I haven't guinea pigged in a long time.... :D

It works with 2 X1800GTOs in Xfire under XP pretty darned well. :cool:

Just have to set AA to "app pref" in CCC and it works great, I'm gonna see if I can force vsync and still have it working now.

Major props to the author, and more thanks. :)

Enjoying it very much thanks! Still works forcing vsync on and w alphaAA enabled in ATi Tray Tools.

Best I've ever seen the game looking, thank you again.

What did you do to make it work, and will the d3d8.dll work with other games?

Personally, i prefer to keep VSync off, due to some problems with the gameplay. (Try the harpoon thrown with & without vsync).

Also, i would like to know if alphaAA works with the transparent textures, cause, on my nVidia cards (7900/8800 GTX), super transparency AA didn't work.

I use Super Sampling AA 2x for the game. It looks very photo realistic, no jaggies, .., but, it has a huge performance hit.

This .dll won't work with other games. It's custom for BR2.

Development was very hard & long, cause i had to learn a lot of things like dll hooking, direct3d api, ... then, i wrote a software to trace all the calls from the game to the direct3d api. It helped me to understand how the game renders a single frame. This was the most hard part, cause, i had to find a pattern in the game calls to the api, to detect the ones that i needed to modify on the fly. The main problem for the FSAA not working with BR2, is that the game renders to a texture, and a texture can't have a AA buffer in D3D8. So, i had to change that target on the fly, to a valid surface with AA, and then update the calls that used that texture too. There's a performance hit due to all this process, but, after several optimizations, it's acceptable.

I found that the game uses up to 12 rendering passes for some scenes, due to all the bloom effects, cubemaps, shadow casting, ... it has a lot of shader programs too, but, mainly, the game is bounded by the video memory bandwidth.

I would love to see some numbers about the performance with ATI cards & SSAA, if possible.

Again, enjoy it ! ;)

I'll try and get ya some performance numbers today, family permitting. I was up waaaay too late playing BR2 again last night, it's just freaking too sweet now! :D

I had tray tools running last night when I was playing and at 1280x1024 w/vsync on, 8xAFhq, and default app pref for the game I was getting 40-60 for my numbers solid through out.

When I say "solid through out" I mean it never went below 40, stayed in the higher numbers a lot more. I wasn't paying that much attention though, had too much fun playing. :oops:

I prefer vsync on, I get too much tearing when I turn otherwise. I don't have any troubles with the harpoon with vsync on, what is the difference for you?

Again, thanks! :D

Thank you for the patch, I really love this game! :) Hope the third one is coming with better camera movement, I didn't like the TR-style misplaced cam in places.

I forgot how much I didn't miss the way she likes to turn the wrong way after you hit the jump button off a pipe. :?

Still love the game though, and it really is a whole lot better thanks to you. Thanks again! :D

My son saw me playing and insisted on me re-installing it on his PC too, and after about 10 minutes of playing he came running in here screaming "Dad, DAD!!! THE JAGGIES ARE GONE FROM BLOODRAYNE2!!!!" with an ear-to-ear grin on his face.

I hadn't told him about the patch yet, I wasn't sure if his X800 TT could do it...but it does it just fine and the game is just as pretty on his PC. (Well, almost. ;) )

And for clarification/the record, my PC is "Bubbles" and my son's is "Blackwell", and my son just turned 10 last month:

Bubbles 3500+ Venice @ 2.4Ghz, Asus A8R32-MVP, 3GB Patriot 2-3-2-5 (2x1GB) OCZ El Platinum 2-2-2-5 (2x512MB) PC3200, 2xATi Radeon X1800GTOs, Audigy2, Altec-Lansing ADA885, DVDR, 80GB, 200GB, 200GB

Blackwell 3500+ Newcastle @ 2.2Ghz, Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939, 2x512MB PC3200, 256MB Radeon X800 TT (500/540), DVD, 80GB WD w/8MB cache
I've raised an AA whore, I'm sooo proud!!! :cool:

Update 21/07/2007 (Version 0.6)

This new version adds custom resolution setup, with aspect ratio fix.

Now you can play at 1280x720, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, 2560x1600, ... any custom resolution.

Also you can use wider FOV for true widescreen gaming.

And it has no performance hit.

Thank you very much & enjoy playing with Rayne !

Note: i would like to edit 1st post, but seems like it isn't possible.

Good news for Steam users: I bought my steam version today & it works too ! :)

Just place the "d3d8.dll" & "br2fsaa.ini" files into "steamapps/common/bloodrayne 2" folder.

Then edit "br2fsaa.ini" and set 'forceResolution', 'Width', 'Heigh' & 'forceAR' variables, to your needs:

Example for 1920x1200

ForceResolution = 1
Width = 1920
Height = 1200
ForceAR = 2

Back