Blaze VGA Monitor Adaptor

Phil said:
Nick, if I understood correctly, than on all those games that you tested, it actually looks equal or offers advantages over the interlaced output. Are there also games where the picture would be worse? As in, more aliasing, flickering?

Also, GT3 has some stages that flicker, so do other games. Does the flickering go away while playing it in progressive or does it get enhanced?

Thanks in advance.

if he's having the same *problem* as me, then GT3 comes up at what looks like 320x240 or some lower-than-usual res. it is pro-scan but its just low res. wonder why... so u're better off playing it on iterlaced mode.

In answer to the question London-Boy is right, GT3 does not look good on a VGA monitor. You are better off sticking to a TV for that game.

The best way to reduce the flickering is to turn down the sharpness on your TV. In VGA mode the game is worse and there is no sharpness control to reduce.

I've played it a bit more on the monitor and because it is a progressive signal the game appears to be slower. This isn't actually true, it is just the effect the Prog Scan has on the brain, a smoother image is more stable and therefore seems slower. I've notices the same effect whilst watching DVDs in Prog Scan. The effect actually makes the game easier to play.

So I would defiantely play Medal of Honor, Timesplitters, SSX and Airblade using the VGA adaptor because this results in a much superior image.

Still got a few games left to try. Rez, GTA:VC, Herdy Gerdy.

HERE IT COMES....

right, as all we european boys know, progressive scan support was cut from some games, like burnout2 and Guilty Gear X2....

well guys, fear not, since you will still be able to play those games PERFECTLY in pro-scan mode with this pretty amazing piece of hardware.

Perfectly means that the will paly just like other titles that support it. no bits missing from the screen, no weird effects. just perfect.

so from now on i'll not care if the cut pro-scan output from european releases because i will still be able to play them in pro-scan anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

happy bunny

london-boy said:
HERE IT COMES....

right, as all we european boys know, progressive scan support was cut from some games, like burnout2 and Guilty Gear X2....

well guys, fear not, since you will still be able to play those games PERFECTLY in pro-scan mode with this pretty amazing piece of hardware.

Perfectly means that the will paly just like other titles that support it. no bits missing from the screen, no weird effects. just perfect.

so from now on i'll not care if the cut pro-scan output from european releases because i will still be able to play them in pro-scan anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

happy bunny

Got The Getaway UK from my friend, the progressive mode is claimed to be 525p but the color doesn't seem right with the US HDTV transcoder that I have (Keydigital's Component->RGB transcoder) and the video processor that I have in development (they are both using the US HDTV color conversion matrix).

May be I have to create another color conversion matrix for PAL region progressive games with reference to The Getaway alike progressive games.

For sure the cheapest trick will be the Blaze VGA adaptor, but I will lost my video processor's good scaling to my LCD monitor.

maskrider said:
london-boy said:
HERE IT COMES....

happy bunny

Got The Getaway UK from my friend, the progressive mode is claimed to be 525p but the color doesn't seem right with the US HDTV transcoder that I have (Keydigital's Component->RGB transcoder) and the video processor that I have in development (they are both using the US HDTV color conversion matrix).

May be I have to create another color conversion matrix for PAL region progressive games with reference to The Getaway alike progressive games.

For sure the cheapest trick will be the Blaze VGA adaptor, but I will lost my video processor's good scaling to my LCD monitor.

U SHOULD give it a try, it's only 20 quid... a tiny amount for the things it does if u ask me....

london-boy said:
maskrider said:
london-boy said:
HERE IT COMES....

happy bunny

U SHOULD give it a try, it's only 20 quid... a tiny amount for the things it does if u ask me....

london-boy,

Consider yourself lucky that you got the Blaze VGA adaptor than the expensive transcoder (Keydigital Transcoder), the color output from the transcoder just doesn't work correctly with The Getaway's 525p progressive output, although it has no problem with all the US/JP progressive outputs.

I am creating a color conversion matrix for this special 525p mode that I hadn't come across before as the transcoder just won't work right.

I think I will also get a Blaze VGA adaptor for color output reference. :D

london-boy said:

Got the adaptor, it works normally now, and I suspect the color problem is the PS2 is giving RGB (with Sync on Green) even if YCbCr was selected from system config as the VGA adaptor is giving correct colors no matter I select Y/Pb/Pr or RGB in system config when running the game in progressive.

If its output is YPbPr, I should see a heavily green tinted screen instead.

But interlaced mode works on YPbPr normally, that's strange. I am not sure if it is a software ("The Getaway") or my hardware (39004 PAL PS2) problem.

maskrider said:
london-boy said:

Got the adaptor, it works normally now, and I suspect the color problem is the PS2 is giving RGB (with Sync on Green) even if YCbCr was selected from system config as the VGA adaptor is giving correct colors no matter I select Y/Pb/Pr or RGB in system config when running the game in progressive.

If its output is YPbPr, I should see a heavily green tinted screen instead.

But interlaced mode works on YPbPr normally, that's strange. I am not sure if it is a software ("The Getaway") or my hardware (39004 PAL PS2) problem.

i wouldn't know. funny enough, the only game that gives me absolutely no problems at all is Guilty Gear X2. Funny because the version i have (PAL) does not support progresive scan. i just put it on 60Hz and it's just perfect. oh and also the Burnout 2 Demo, should try the full game really...

all the other games give me some weird things. The getaway has some weird white artifacts when driving/running outside. Tekken4 and Primal (demo) work perfectly apart from having some coloured stuff where the bottom black border should be. i adjusted the screen but it doesn't go that far, i can still see it... weird... they do look gorgeous though...

Back