almighty has a 360!! Thoughts and game sugestions

almighty

Banned
I now own a 360 ( My brothers old fat one ) it's the first console I've owned since Sony released the PS2 Slim, so it's been a while! Although I did steal this fat 360 when he first had it and completed kameo...Love that game.

Have it hooked to a 22" 1920x1080 PC Monitor with the consoles output resolution set to 720p and my monitors internal scaling turned off in the OSD menu.

Connection is via a VGA cable ( Bargain at 0.99p! )

I will say that Jesus Christ does this 360 kick out some noise!

Game wise I am trying to avoid games that I've played on PC for 2 reasons

1. Because I've already played them
2. Because I don't want the graphics whore within me to take over and be put off by the lower visuals

I've got Halo 3, Reach and 4 as I've completed the first and second games on PC and want to carry on with them, I've had a bash at Halo 3 and to be honest it's not as blurry looking as I thought it would considering the native resolution it's being rendered at. Graphically though I don't think I've ever played a more inconsistent game, the lighting is actually quite amazing as is some of the texture work and then on the flip side you have some pretty low res and crappy looking foliage next to high resolution textures and it's very distracting, Character models just flat out suck! But the lack of AA and AF are not as distracting me as much as I thought they would which I am truly surprised about afteral I play with stupid AA levels on PC.

Also have Gears 2, again completed the first game on PC and enjoyed it so wanted to play the others and continue with the story, graphically Gears 2 is much more consisted and pleasing to my PC gaming eyes.

Another thing worth a note is the controls, my god does aiming in Halo and Gear suck arse with a pad, how do you guys even aim?????

Now this is where I get stuck, I don't follow and have never really followed 360 and it's game library so I have no idea on what's hot and whats not, COD is a waste of time as I've got it on PC as with BF3, Crysis...blah...blah...

So basically what games that you can get on 360 that are not on PC would you guys recommend for me to try?

I'm completely open to try anything :)

Hit the marketplace, download some demos I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff you haven't tried.. If you like racing games give Forza a try.

Hit the marketplace, download some demos I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff you haven't tried.. If you like racing games give Forza a try.

Oh god I forget about the wonder of regular game demos on console!!!

Bit of a rare thing on PC these days...

Your first purchases should be Trials Revolution and Geometry Wars 2. Castle Crashers, Toy Soldiers: Cold War, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, LIMBO, From Dust and Bastion are all incredibly good. Those are all downloadable Live Arcade titles. You may have played some of those on the PC. I know some, or most, are now available on PC.

Gears of War 3 is great. I liked Fable 2 and 3 a lot. A lot of the other exclusives have found their way over to the PC over time, or they're just old and dated now. Forza is pretty popular if you like racers, and you know what Halo is and have those. I've heard Ninja Gaiden 2 is great, though incredibly hard. It's different than the one on PS3. Not sure if either was on PC. Skip Crackdown and Crackdown 2. First is dated and the second sucked. Dead Rising was a fun exclusive (now dated), though you'd probably have more fun with the sequel which is maybe on PC? Seems like a gamepad game to me, so if you have one for pc that still works.

I'd also recommend turning the X360's internal scaling back on. It will most likely do a much better job than your PC monitor in scaling the image up to the monitor's native resolution.

And while not a hugely popular or technically advanced game. I personally love the Dynasty Warriors series for it's glorious hack and slash combat. IMO - Much better and more satisfying than the similar type of combat that God of War copied but without the platforming or graphic aspects that GOW included. In other words, the combat is similar but better. But in all other respects the games are completely different. :D

Regards,
SB

I'd also recommend turning the X360's internal scaling back on. It will most likely do a much better job than your PC monitor in scaling the image up to the monitor's native resolution.

And while not a hugely popular or technically advanced game. I personally love the Dynasty Warriors series for it's glorious hack and slash combat. IMO - Much better and more satisfying than the similar type of combat that God of War copied but without the platforming or graphic aspects that GOW included. In other words, the combat is similar but better. But in all other respects the games are completely different. :D

Regards,
SB

Oh Dynasty Warriors. So many lost hours of my life training my Lu Bu to godlike status. That is truly what I miss most about console gaming :cry:

Oh Dynasty Warriors. So many lost hours of my life training my Lu Bu to godlike status. That is truly what I miss most about console gaming :cry:

Oh yes, all those hours training, doing levels over and over to try to get better items or whatever depending on which version of DW.

When it first came out on PS2 I just discarded it as being a simple game that I'd have no interest in. Then I played it years later at a friend's house and about 6 hours later of continuous play, I decided I had to have it and have been hooked ever since. For such a relatively simple concept the execution is brilliant and the gameplay is addictive. Assuming a person is into these sorts of games that is. :D It's enough that it got me into the genre as a whole. Gundam Warriors, Samurai Warriors... Ah so much time. :D None of them could quite match Dynasty Warriors though.

Regards,
SB

and play it with installed :D

really help with the immersion due to faster loading and able to hear environment sounds

Yeah, Red Dead Redemption is still not on PC, and when I tried it (for free on PS Plus) this summer, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. I like it way better than any GTA game. So that's a must play, and should keep you occupied for quite a while.

Played Gears 2 all night, still can't get used to the in-accurate pad for aiming, spent most of night wishing I could plug a K/B mouse into it.

Played Gears 2 all night, still can't get used to the in-accurate pad for aiming, spent most of night wishing I could plug a K/B mouse into it.

Continue to play and you will get used to it, there are some crazy players in the Gears games with the snipers. :p

Now about the game recommendations...

Multiplatform titles not on the PC:

Vanquish (best shooter game this gen)
Bayonetta
Red Dead Redemption (a really great game that's still the most impressive game visually on the 360 IMO, simply amazing looking game)
Shadows of the Damned
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Catherine

360 exclusive titles:

Retail
Gears Of War 3
Halo 3: ODST
Forza Horizon
Project Gotham Racing 4
Deathsmiles
Akai Katana
Deadly Premonition (a Director's Cut version will be released next year on the PS3 though)
Lost Odyssey
Dead Rising
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (download the demo, it's a pretty unique concept)
Crackdown (the most crazy fun sandbox game!)
Tales of Vesperia
Blue Dragon
Ninja Gaiden 2 (the one and only version of NG2 that matters)
Earth Defense Force 2017

XBLA

Guardian Heroes
Rez HD
Ikaruga HD
Shadow Complex
Trials Evolution
Fez
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Omega Five
Banjo Kazooies HD
Geometry Wars 2

Download demos to check out most of these titles and of course have fun with your new fat and noisy baby! :D

Got rid of Condemned but you should definitely check it out if you haven't played it already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back