Bioshock 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Feb 9, 2010.

1. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Why doesnt this game have a decent crosshair btw? Its so freaking big it is impossible to aim decent. Just give me a little + or small dot not a 1cm O.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Because of consoles I assume? Players need to see the crosshair from 10ft away on their couch?

3. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Anyone getting a crash on trying to load the last level? Seems the autosave keeps getting screwed (tried removing it from the folder so it'd create a new one to no avail). :|

edit: welp, I solved this one by deleting the bioshock2SP.ini. yay!

4. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

If they say they removed controller support because they wanted to focus on MK than how much trouble would it have been to include a decent crosshair?

5. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

I never really understood the excuse for not having Gamepad support from the PC version when clearly there is an Xbox360 version of the same game.

6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Or like a lot of fps' that have adjustable crosshairs.

7. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

So, in short:

1. It's not a better game than 1, but very comparable. Unless you want something new, probably very enjoyable.
    2. Copyright protection is still a bitch (I couldn't play 1 for a week after buying two collector editions because of it, so sue me if I download and try 2 first, buying a legal copy only if I like it, to support the developers).
    3. Widescreen and AA is just as bad as with 1.
    4. It's more streamlined and consolidated, and has potentially more serious bugs than 1 if you buy the PC version instead of the console version.
    5. The story and level design are at most a bit less than 1.

But, if you didn't play 1, and didn't buy into the hype, it's a decent and enjoyable game.

I think my list of "games to buy in 2010" just got a but shorter again.

Thanks for all the nice reviews, opinions and posts that allowed me to make up my mind!

8. Davros

Legend

playing it I thought thank god they havnt got me f**king about with a stupid camera, then guess what happened

9. suryad

Veteran

LMAO. I will wait for this game to be in the bargain bin :)

10. xatnys

Regular

I grabbed it off of some youtube video so possibly, yes. The AR of the image itself is just about 16:9 which should work if the person who made the video actually played at that res.... :S

11. anaqer

Veteran

Yeah, I had the exact same thought. Jerks.

12. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I finished the game yesterday, here's what I posted at slackercentral.

I just completed the game. I feel satisfied.

There was less exploring in this game, compared to the original, and that's both good and bad. The game had a very streamlined feel and you get pushed and pulled along. Lol, I didn't have to use a walkthrough.

Sort of OT but a game like this might benefit if it had some adventure game type problem solving. Just here and there and it would allow you to calmly explore the levels. I'd say keep some action in that scenario but definitely leave out lots of sessions of swarming enemies.

Maybe the next game when they have a new engine to show off.

I suspect part of the reason for the quick flow in this game was so you'd be impressed by the shader/lighting/whatever effects and not distracted by the texture quality. (Not much looking at walls, floors, miscellaneous items, etc.)

Not that the texturing wasn't tasteful or well utilized, it really was and the lighting really complimented what they had to work with.

The framerates were great. And I think that was a high priority and that decision, to keep the textures framerate friendly, is justified by the quite decent feeling the game had even when the screen is filled with violent action.

Not one sour note in the voice acting, all the event triggering seemed basically flawless.

It seemed to me that the menu to load and save games came up faster when I didn't have a real lot of saves stored in the folder. After each session I got in the habit of copying all my new saves to another drive and then deleting all but a few from the game's save folder.

P.S. I forgot to mention at SC one humorous incident I really liked. I used Hypnotize 3 on a Brute and he followed me along. His dialogue was startling and truly lol. I won't spoil it for anyone.

13. Davros

Legend

not entirely if you disable music you get no voice acting no audio in videos either

14. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks Davros.

Just saw this:
    http://kotaku.com/5470988/should-bioshock-3-revisit-rapture

And this:
    http://kotaku.com/5470832/bioshock-...-pro-and-con-+-podcast-now-ready-for-download

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Pure awsomeness. Watch till the end.

16. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I want a suit :(

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

That was great, thanks!

18. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

I bought the Special Edition. Haven't installed the game yet though, as I will when I beat the first one, whenever I get around to it.

19. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Anyone pick up Minerva's Den :?: Completely forgot about this since it came so late (May 2011 apparently). I heard really good things about it. 400MSP