Bioshock 2

Why doesnt this game have a decent crosshair btw? Its so freaking big it is impossible to aim decent. Just give me a little + or small dot not a 1cm O.

Why doesnt this game have a decent crosshair btw? Its so freaking big it is impossible to aim decent. Just give me a little + or small dot not a 1cm O.

Because of consoles I assume? Players need to see the crosshair from 10ft away on their couch?

Anyone getting a crash on trying to load the last level? Seems the autosave keeps getting screwed (tried removing it from the folder so it'd create a new one to no avail). :|

edit: welp, I solved this one by deleting the bioshock2SP.ini. yay!

I never really understood the excuse for not having Gamepad support from the PC version when clearly there is an Xbox360 version of the same game.

So, in short:

1. It's not a better game than 1, but very comparable. Unless you want something new, probably very enjoyable.
2. Copyright protection is still a bitch (I couldn't play 1 for a week after buying two collector editions because of it, so sue me if I download and try 2 first, buying a legal copy only if I like it, to support the developers).
3. Widescreen and AA is just as bad as with 1.
4. It's more streamlined and consolidated, and has potentially more serious bugs than 1 if you buy the PC version instead of the console version.
5. The story and level design are at most a bit less than 1.

But, if you didn't play 1, and didn't buy into the hype, it's a decent and enjoyable game.

I think my list of "games to buy in 2010" just got a but shorter again.

Thanks for all the nice reviews, opinions and posts that allowed me to make up my mind!

playing it I thought thank god they havnt got me f**king about with a stupid camera, then guess what happened

The AR in your 2nd shot looks wrong. Is that what it really looks like?

I grabbed it off of some youtube video so possibly, yes. The AR of the image itself is just about 16:9 which should work if the person who made the video actually played at that res.... :S

I finished the game yesterday, here's what I posted at slackercentral.

I just completed the game. I feel satisfied.

There was less exploring in this game, compared to the original, and that's both good and bad. The game had a very streamlined feel and you get pushed and pulled along. Lol, I didn't have to use a walkthrough.

Sort of OT but a game like this might benefit if it had some adventure game type problem solving. Just here and there and it would allow you to calmly explore the levels. I'd say keep some action in that scenario but definitely leave out lots of sessions of swarming enemies.

Maybe the next game when they have a new engine to show off.

I suspect part of the reason for the quick flow in this game was so you'd be impressed by the shader/lighting/whatever effects and not distracted by the texture quality. (Not much looking at walls, floors, miscellaneous items, etc.)

Not that the texturing wasn't tasteful or well utilized, it really was and the lighting really complimented what they had to work with.

The framerates were great. And I think that was a high priority and that decision, to keep the textures framerate friendly, is justified by the quite decent feeling the game had even when the screen is filled with violent action.

Not one sour note in the voice acting, all the event triggering seemed basically flawless.

It seemed to me that the menu to load and save games came up faster when I didn't have a real lot of saves stored in the folder. After each session I got in the habit of copying all my new saves to another drive and then deleting all but a few from the game's save folder.

P.S. I forgot to mention at SC one humorous incident I really liked. I used Hypnotize 3 on a Brute and he followed me along. His dialogue was startling and truly lol. I won't spoil it for anyone.

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks Davros.

Just saw this:
"Unfortunately, I can't talk about anything past BioShock 2 right now," Thomas said in response to a caller question about a possible third game in the BioShock franchise. "If I were to talk about future plans for 2K Marin or BioShock, it would be big, fat, stupid speculation. Basically, there's just nothing new to offer yet."
We pressed the issue with Thomas, touching specifically on the heated debate between gamers that surrounded the second game. Was returning to Rapture too familiar? Would it possibly hold up a third time?
"I guess my feeling is that, given people's response, given that the novelty seems to have driven so much of people's interest in the original game, that returning to Rapture's future might be risky," Thomas said. "On the raw originality scale that bears some risk."
http://kotaku.com/5470988/should-bioshock-3-revisit-rapture

And this:
Bioshock 2's creative director managed to not only talk about his game to many of you today, but worked in the words "stochastic" and "un-mother." Good job, Jordan! Lots of good stuff in this one, ready for you to download. On today's episode of our live audio podcast, Kotaku Talk Radio, Jordan Thomas fielded the color-blindness questions (sounds like something they'd like to address and wish they had), the controller support issues (keyboard and mouse only for PC for the time being), major storyline changes made mid-development (which he manages to explain in code so as not to spoil them) and even a great bit about why the antagonist in Bioshock 2 is a woman.
If you care about Bioshock, pro or con, this one's a must-listen. Plus, Owen Good rants. And that's always good fun.
Oh, and Jordan helps us compare the merits of Fable II dogs and Bioshock Little Sisters.

Download the MP3
[Chat About It]
Listen to it [Chat About It]
Subscribe via RSS [Chat About It]
Download to your iPod or iPhone [iTunes]
Subscribe to podcast on iTunes [iTunes]
Download to your Zune [Zune]
http://kotaku.com/5470832/bioshock-...-pro-and-con-+-podcast-now-ready-for-download

I bought the Special Edition. Haven't installed the game yet though, as I will when I beat the first one, whenever I get around to it.

Anyone pick up Minerva's Den :?: Completely forgot about this since it came so late (May 2011 apparently). I heard really good things about it. 400MSP

Back