Bioshock 2

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
Anyone got it yet? What are the opinions?

It scores good in the reviews, and the people who liked 1, love 2. But that's a given, of course.

I'm burned a bit too often the last few years to buy it before I hear you guys over here proclaim it a good game.

I bought the PC version on steam, it came with Bioshock 1 as well. But Bioshock 1 has no audio (suggested fixes on the net didn't work), and Bioshock 2 does not work with the 360 controller. Sigh :( Has anyone ever returned a steam game before? I assume it's not possible but I'm gonna try, otherwise it's $45 down the toilet.

Something about the first one didn't exactly draw me in for very long. And it certainly wasn't the atmosphere. While the game has a fantastic atmosphere, I couldn't get into it for very long, let alone beat it. I wanna try a demo for the second one before I make a serious commitment to it.

Why buy it for PC if you want to play with 360 pad? :???:

My gaming PC is hooked up in the tv room, so I play PC games on the couch where the 360 controller works more comfortably for gaming. Bioshock 2 supports Live meaning I can get achievements and see my other Live friends as well. So the PC version seemed like the way to go. I really didn't expect them to remove 360 controller support though considering the first game had it. Silly me I guess.

Something about the first one didn't exactly draw me in for very long. And it certainly wasn't the atmosphere. While the game has a fantastic atmosphere, I couldn't get into it for very long, let alone beat it. I wanna try a demo for the second one before I make a serious commitment to it.

Yeah same problem here. It just didn't grab me.

I bought the PC version on steam, it came with Bioshock 1 as well. But Bioshock 1 has no audio (suggested fixes on the net didn't work), and Bioshock 2 does not work with the 360 controller. Sigh :( Has anyone ever returned a steam game before? I assume it's not possible but I'm gonna try, otherwise it's $45 down the toilet.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55818

Yeah, no support but one guy mentions something called "xpadder"*.

Another guy says he'll work on what I assume is a configuration hack.

If you are stuck with the game that might be a thread to watch. Good luck!

*Huh, looks like software you have to pay for.

http://xpadder.com/phpBB3.0.5/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=9c21aa9b4acdd0bfd2adf8c9e9d7640c

My gaming PC is hooked up in the tv room, so I play PC games on the couch where the 360 controller works more comfortably for gaming. Bioshock 2 supports Live meaning I can get achievements and see my other Live friends as well. So the PC version seemed like the way to go. I really didn't expect them to remove 360 controller support though considering the first game had it. Silly me I guess.

You've been previously a dev. Tell me, what do you think makes some devs remove working features that would make the buyers happier and their game richer. Why remove/block simple already implemented features and damage the games "charisma"?

Is it a product of ignorant designers thinking gamers are stupid and would be confused or is it money involved to stimpy the game for specific platforms (X-files vibes)?

Also why do devs lock out console prompt for non multiplayer games like DAO or Witcher?

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, me too. I kind of just gave up on it when other things came along. I think some parts of it were quite unbalanced and quite hard, and I got bored of replaying the same bits. I seem to remember running out of any useful ammo and sort of being stuck into a gameplay dead-end where you could never get back to what I felt was an enjoyable experience.

I passed on the first after demo and getting some more indepth play at an internet cafe. The shooting IMO was really bad gun n' run type especially at 60fps. Just didn't click with me and if Bioshock 2 is similar I'll pass, not my poision.

Btw internet cafes are great. For just a small fee per hour you can sample retail games to see if it is worth buying.

You've been previously a dev. Tell me, what do you think makes some devs remove working features that would make the buyers happier and their game richer. Why remove/block simple already implemented features and damage the games "charisma"?

I'm scratching my head on this one just as much as everyone else. It's not like it's some super high tech code, it's just gamepad support. It's even more odd because the previous game already supported it, and oddly even in Bioshock 2 I can hit the 'home' button and navigate through windows live with the 360 controller, but once I exit the live menu the controller is no longer supported. Dunno man, file this one under "what in hell were they thinking". I'll probably try it with the keyboard + mouse, thing is my right wrist starts to hurt after a while when fps'ing with a mouse, a carpel tunnel remnant due to too much Ultima Online and Everquest from back in the day :(

Maybe they just don't want to support devices that don't work without autoaim?

Uh ? The first one did or at least it worked with the 360 controller they sell to go with Windows. It's basically the same controller. I got it specially for Bioshock 1. I just sick and tired of the fact that it was a converted console game for Windows.

I have to admit that I stopped playing games on my PC since I got a PS3. My experience with PC games was that usually things didn't work from the start. You had to get new drivers, wait for a patch or take some issues for granted. Console games are usually plug and play instead of plug and pray for those one PC.

Bioshock had a great atmosphere. It wasn't very challenging, but the weird characters, nice graphics, big daddy's, great story gave a fun gameplay.

Just got it from Best Buy, installing it now after having performed an image backup with the Windows 7 utility.

Assuming the install goes ok, I'll be back in an hour or so with an initial impression.

I'm not that much of a gamer so don't expect a lot of details. :)

Not bad, sucks you right in. Looks slightly better than the original. Feels smoother too. Splicer models are meh. Not noticing any "blotchiness" in the textures.

The game detected applied my desktop resolution automatically. 1920 x 1080. It set all the in game quality settings to the maximum for my 8800GT.

So, peeps with that card or less, rejoice. Peeps with shiny new hardware, grumble. :)

Got it via steam with 3 other ppl. Wasn't really going to get it, but hey... $40 CAD (after conversion) ain't so terrible. I was curious how the story would end up, so I'll find out now.

Joker, I have the same issues with Bioshock 1. No sound. :(

I wish I had a nickle for every post I read about no sound in Bioshock. :(

There were a lot of workarounds posted.

For example:
If you have no sound in Vista and are using an onboard solution from Realtek then the following instructions may restore the sound (Bioshock Knowledge Base via AngelGraves13's troubleshooting guide) ......:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18590

Lol, sorry, I know this isn't funny to you but using the google (steam bioshock no sound) led me to this.

http://boards.slackercentral.com/showpost.php?p=1500998&postcount=5

I made that post over a year ago and had forgotten about that trick. :)

Edit: Huh, a link from that SC thread got me to http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10663&page=63 which got me to http://nocturne.noctalis.com/codex.cgi?Windows_7_No_Sound

This is one of the oddest fixes I’ve ever encountered.
I got this issue with BioShock, but I think it might affect other games as well. It occurs with Realtek onboard sound on Windows 7 and Windows Vista. What happens is that there is simply no sound at all.
In BioShock, the sound stops after the intro sequence. Strangely, the subtitles don’t appear either.

Windows 7 No Sound Fix
☣ Control Panel > Hardware and Sound
☣ Sound > Manage audio devices
☣ Right-click in the clear space beneath your devices > Show Disabled Devices
☣ Right-click on Stereo Mix > Enable

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh yeah, tried all those. I didn't spend 5 hours trying to fix it without google. :rolleyes: I don't even get the "stereo mix" selection in the place they mention.

Yikes that's a bummer. Maybe this is a new issue. If two Beyonders have this problem I'm sure many other do too. I'll be on the lookout for updates.

Back