Bioshock 2

I'm finding the gather/defend bit rather tedious. I've saved all the little sisters so far... I think about 10 or so just to give you an idea how far I am. Although it's not a bad time to experiment with different plasmids or weapon combos. Wish there were more gene tonic slots. :(

I enjoyed the first Bioshock till the point where I found out what the twist was and after that I just lost all interest I dunno why. It just got so tedious I could not even be bothered. Maybe I will give it another shot but I do think despite losing interest in it, that game was quite an incredible experience. Quality work.

When I was first playing Bioshock it had been less than a year since I first played System Shock 2. The parallels between the two games are just too much IMO. They are almost the same game but with different character names and settings.

Also, I didn't really like the shooting mechanics much and the weird Art Deco style to everything was too cartoony for me (Fallout 3 is the same in this way for me).

I think Bioshock can really work well if 1) you don't mind the action's "off" feeling and insane repetitiveness and 2) you haven't played System Shock 2 because the storyline will feel really surprising and inventive. Not so much if you played Levine's older game. I think Shock 2 is the better game because it really was inventive.

I think that I'm steering clear of this sequel until it's forgotten and $10 on Steam. I tried playing the original again recently and just couldn't get into it at all....

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh yeah, tried all those. I didn't spend 5 hours trying to fix it without google. :rolleyes: I don't even get the "stereo mix" selection in the place they mention.

Yeah me too, none of the suggested fixes work and I don't get a "stereo mix" option. I'm curious if your setup is similar to mine. I have an Ati 4850 with a single hdmi cable going from it to the amp, then to the tv, so audio and video are all coming from the 4850.

Yeah me too, none of the suggested fixes work and I don't get a "stereo mix" option. I'm curious if your setup is similar to mine. I have an Ati 4850 with a single hdmi cable going from it to the amp, then to the tv, so audio and video are all coming from the 4850.

DVI to monitor, analog integrated audio to speakers. :) :(

Is this the file I'm looking for? (Win 7 64-bit)

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2\Bioshock2SP.ini

Code:
[BioDrv.BioRenderDevice]
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
DoubleBufferMouseLag=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseVSync=True
LevelOfAnisotropy=4
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
BatchRenderFlash=True
UseShaderConstantChecking=False
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
AvoidHitches=False
UseHighDetailShadowMaps=True
UseLinearSpace=True
Use8bitBackBuffer=False
Use8bitOpacity=False

[D3DDrv10.D3DRenderDevice10]
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
DoubleBufferMouseLag=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseVSync=True
LevelOfAnisotropy=4
TesselationFactor=1.0
CheckForOverflow=False
BatchRenderFlash=True

[Engine.RenderConfig]
HDRSceneExpBias=-3
MaxSkeletalProjectorsPerActor=6
OffsetSkeletalProjectorRearFrustrumPlane=10.000000
UseSoftwareAntiAliasing=True
EdgeDetectCutoff=0.002000
EdgeBlurSize=0.500000
StreamingVisibleWeight=10.000000
StreamingDiffuseWeight=1.000000
StreamingBSPWeight=1.000000
StreamingEmissiveWeight=7.000000
StreamingLightmapWeight=5.000000
StreamingNormalmapWeight=4.000000
StreamingDynamicLoadedWeight=10.000000
StreamingDistanceScale=1000.000000
HighDetailShaders=True
Shadows=True
RealTimeReflection=True
PostProcessing=True
HardwareOcclusion=True
UseRippleSystem=True
UseSpecCubeMap=True
UseDistortion=True
TextureStreamingMemoryLimit=512.000000
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=30000.000000
EnableStereoVision=False
ForceGlobalLighting=False
CascadingWaterSimulationVelocity=10.000000
UseHighDetailPostProcEffects=True
BloomStar=True
UseHighDetailSoftParticles=True
UseMultithreading=True
DisableExtraAntiPortalClip=True
TextureDetail=High
FluidSurfaceDetail=High
DynamicShadowDetail=Medium

[ShockGame.ShockUserSettings]
HasPlasmidPack1=False
NeedToShowPlasmidAnnouncement=False
Vibration=True
MasterVolume=1.000000
SFXVolume=1.000000
MusicVolume=1.000000
VoVolume=1.000000
ArtSubtitles=False
DialogSubtitles=True
AdaptiveTraining=False
Sensitivity=50
QuestArrow=True
DisableVitaChamber=False
Brightness=0.500000
Contrast=0.500000
Gamma=1.200000
VSync=True
ShouldAlwaysShowHelmet=True
InvertYAxis=True
CurrentInputContextModifier=
MouseSensitivity=1.000000
MouseAcceleration=False
SpeakerMode=SM_Quad
SpeakerModeValue=3
bReverb=True
bEAXEnabled=False
bShowShimmer=True
bHighlightFocussedItems=True
ControlSensitivity=CS_MEDIUM
GameDifficulty=GD_EASY
MovementStick=MS_RIGHTTHUMBSTICK
AutoAim=True
AutoCenter=False
bGameWasFinished=True
EDITED BITS: Added another couple of interesting sections, and these are the settings I found before I started playing around. ;)

DVI to monitor, analog integrated audio to speakers. :) :(

I had to get the Realtek drivers from their website, the standard Microsoft HD Audio driver didn't work. Also, in the Control Panel's sound section, under the 'Recording' tab, I needed to rightclick and select 'Show Disabled Devices' for the Stereo Mix thing to show up.

But I'm sure you've tried all that :(

Tried checking this out late last night, about 15 minutes in I got a hard crash. Not a good sign, seems the devs haven't learned anything, that and the fucking up widescreen= uber noobs.

I had to get the Realtek drivers from their website, the standard Microsoft HD Audio driver didn't work. Also, in the Control Panel's sound section, under the 'Recording' tab, I needed to rightclick and select 'Show Disabled Devices' for the Stereo Mix thing to show up.

But I'm sure you've tried all that :(

Yeah. :/ Just weird. Oh well. Played it on Xbox anyway, just would have liked to check it out on PC since it was free.

Cant you just use Nhancer and do SSAA or some other exotic AA mode. I mean with this games tech you should be able to SSAA with good framerate.
If I use any type of AA tech [even multisampling] the game crashes & throws me to desktop whenever there is a pop up message or lots of alpha. If its to do with wrong choices in the AA compatibility tab, then I have no idea which is the compatible config for Bioshock 2.

EDIT: Found out a way to make it work, I just had to add -dx9 to the shortcut..but obviously this meant bye bye Dx10 effect. After trying with AA once & with Dx10 effects once I am going to go with Dx10 effects, since the AA while making considerable difference in IQ by reducing jaggies also caused a blur to the image [eek !]. Good thing that this game has a low contrast so the jaggies never hurt much.

what bug? maybe i can send you a savegame to get over it

There's a bug involving the wall safe in the woman's office. At one point you have to get an item out of it to progress. Only when the bug hits, there's nothing in the safe. So there's no way to progress.

I reloaded saves from 1-2 levels back in order to try to get around it. Nada. Their community manager acknowledged the bug but only suggestion they ever offered was to reload a save, and if that didn't work to restart the game. From the threads on their forum at the time, I'd take a guess that out of the people that posted about it, there was a 50/50 chance of eventually getting past it. The rest of us had no luck and just gave up on the game.

No way in hell I was going to restart the game hoping to get past that point. It'd be just my luck I'd restart and still end up with the bug.

Regards,
SB

you'll have to be more specific than that
what level was it on ?

levels
--Chapter 1 – Bioshock
--Chapter 2 – Welcome To Rapture
--Chapter 3 – Medical Pavilion
--Chapter 4 – Neptune’s Bounty
--Chapter 5 – Smuggler’s Hideout
--Chapter 6 – Arcadia
--Chapter 7 – Farmer’s Market
--Chapter 8 – Return To Arcadia
--Chapter 9 – Fort Frolic
--Chapter 10 – Hephaestus
--Chapter 11 – Rapture Control Central
--Chapter 12 – Olympus Heights
--Chapter 13 – Point Prometheus
--Chapter 14 – Proving Ground
--Chapter 15 – Fontaine
--Chapter 16 – The End?

Done and done-- I Beat the game last night and I deffinitely have a lot of thoughts I need to flesh out so I can type up a conclusion and discuss some things with you guys. But really quick I would like to get something off my chest: I experienced a fairly annoying bug in the PC version of the game that was almost a show stopper for me.

The Q key, be default, is used to rotate through the various plasmids that you currently have equiped. On many occasions (to quantify, probably 25% of the game) my entire left arm (the plamid one) was locked--completely forzen. This means that switching between and/or firing plasmids was not possible. Hitting the Q key did nothing.

Funny enough, the first few times this happened I chalked it up to gameplay and figured the game was purposely making this happen for narrative reasons, but I soon realized it was a severely disabling bug. I often resolved the issue by reloading the game from an old save, by entering a in-game cinematic like moving on to a new level or by restarting the game.

It actually wasnt that big of a deal until the game's finale where, as you can imagine, began to frustrate me because nothing I did would fix it--not even restarting the game. I won't spoil anything in the game with the details of the finale but I will say that I completed the final segment of the game (the final boss fight) without using a single plasmid.

On my way to work (30 min drive) I thought about what happened and it deffinitely sucked, but there was also something poetic about it. When all was said and done and my foes were lying there dead at my feet I stood there triumphant and partially disabled aftering battling against the odds. It was almost fittingly poetic to my adventure in Rapture.

More to come in a bit...

you'll have to be more specific than that
what level was it on ?

levels
--Chapter 1 – Bioshock
--Chapter 2 – Welcome To Rapture
--Chapter 3 – Medical Pavilion
--Chapter 4 – Neptune’s Bounty
--Chapter 5 – Smuggler’s Hideout
--Chapter 6 – Arcadia
--Chapter 7 – Farmer’s Market
--Chapter 8 – Return To Arcadia
--Chapter 9 – Fort Frolic
--Chapter 10 – Hephaestus
--Chapter 11 – Rapture Control Central
--Chapter 12 – Olympus Heights
--Chapter 13 – Point Prometheus
--Chapter 14 – Proving Ground
--Chapter 15 – Fontaine
--Chapter 16 – The End?

Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure, it was ages ago. It's the fight where the lady's office gets torched after you've done whatever it was you had to do to keep something from happening that kills all life down there. :p

That was probably helpful, eh? Heh, I can go look up a walkthrough and see if I can figure out exactly what point it is at.

[EDIT] found it. It was near the end of Ch.6 arcadia after Professor Langford was poisoned. (whoops not torched.) In the safe there's supposed to be a bunch of stuff including the market key. Only for this particular bug, there won't be anything in the safe. No market key = no way to progress. Likewise no diary = no new goal.

Weird, I could have sworn I made it farther than just Ch.6.

Regards,
SB

Yup had tried all those things in there other than uninstalling/reinstalling and starting a new game (which didn't work for everyone either). There used to be a few other threads on it, but looks like some have been deleted.

Regards,
SB

Bioshock 2 is an interesting game isnt it? It stands in a tough spot following in the footsteps of what some people consider the greatest first-person shooter to come along in years. But even more interesting is I find that the group that hearily embraced the original, holding it high above their heads mightily exclaiming to the world "See! This is was happens, world, when you accurately marry compelling art with a quality gaming experience!" are now the ones turning their backs to it's sequel unwilling to listen to the story it wishes to tell. But really, who can blame them right? How is it possible that an interesting and compelling experience could come out of Rapture after the first? Well truth be told, I'm a little bit of a hypocrite as I initially found myself in that very group thinking those same things.

After some thought, though, I realized that I wasnt giving the game a fair chance--I might be missing out on something I could love. I'm happy to say that I come away from playing Bioshock 2 through to completion (roughly 12 hours) feeling fulfilled. Certainly I'm a traiter right? Well all I can do is write what I feel about the game and hope that you can take something away from that that's beneficial.

In short, I've come to the conclusion that Bioshock 2 is--through a few unfortunate misteps--an really good game. Hold your tomatoes please! :) To keep things completely spoiler free I won't go into any of the plot of gameplay revelations, but what I will do is tell you confidently that I found the narrative--and the way it unravels--interesting enough to keep pushing forward, but it goes without saying that it's not nearly as interesting as the original.

I found the gameplay to be more intense and more enjoyable than the original, and this surprised me. I think the ability to duel weild a plasmids and a weapon heightens the intensity of the action to a new level. In addition there are more splicer attacks who're coupled with thicker skin and more powerful attacks (at least it appears that way to me) making it a welcome step-up from the first.

Personally I had the most fun utilizing the Hypnotize plasmid. At first it just turns other foes against one another--which in itself is extremely entertaining--but eventually you can upgrade it to the point where you can recruit splicers for a few minutes--even the bigger foes! At several points in the game I found myelf surounded by two hacked drones along with, my favorite victim, one of the Houdini Splicers (teleporter who throws explosives). Sending them into a room full of splicers was so incredibily entertaining. I watched the AI try to figure out how to kill itself quite amusing, especially with the little aggrogant taunts they spout out from time to time.

But what Bioshock 2 doesnt have, unfortunately, is the same quality of level design through and through. The magic that the first retained throughout the entire experience just isnt here. Bioshock 1 was defined by it's areas, their unique arcitechual design and aesthetics. Overall it was extremely memorable with fascinating points of interest. I fondly look back on areas like the Medical Pavilion run by the demented and insane Dr Steinman, the fishing port of Neptune's Bounty, the Farmers Market, or how about Rapture's entertainment center Fort Frolic? For me, Bioshock 2 really only has one area runsalong the same line as those, and that's in Ryan Amusements. I'll hold off on the details of why it's so interesting but let's just say it's a pivitol moment in the game's narrative truely revealing how arrogant and messed up Ryans practices were. It's a shining example of what a good segement of a game should be comprised of--a solid characteristic that's unique to the narrative and overall plot of, not just the game, but the Bioshock series. Plus it had a purpose in terms of gameplay amd it was fun to play around in.

Unfortunately most of the other levels--including Siren Alley (the Red Light District), which was a missed opportunity--are much too similar in terms of aesthetic and architectual design. But I must point out that this is not to say that the levels are badly designed or even a bore to play through, but just to bring to light that they're not on par with the original. That whimsically melancholly Bioshock spirit is missing!

In regards to the plot, once I found out what was going on--and yes it's revealed why you're a Big Daddy who's as weak and vulterable as he is,especially in comparison to the ones in the fist game--it all came together nicely. It's certainly not as interesting or inspired as the original game.

Conclusion
Bioshock 2 is a really fun game, but I think that in order for us hardcore to enjoy the intended crafted experience it has to offer then I think we need to come back down to earth (heh) a little. We need to realize that this isnt the first game's experience where we're experiencing Rapture and all its glory for the first time--which, honestly, is the very best part of the first game. But Bioshock 2 is an unpretentious attempt to expand on Rapture lore, and you know what? In the end I respect it for trying to nicely progress in the complexity of Rapture, but most importantly I respect it for being, overall, a fun video game to play--because that's what it does best.

Back