Bioshock 2- First Gameplay.

I would have been much more interested in a prequel happening before or during the fall of rapture to madness, would have been a greater opportunity for gameplay and storytelling IMO.

A couple of the previews hint at playable flashbacks. I was hoping for something like that, mainly as a form of extending the radio recordings. Instead of just listening to people talk, the player should be able to actually see those events in first person for some of the recordings.

Take it a step further and have one actually control the person whilst the character narrates. In the game, have goals for the player or something. Let the player take time to see Rapture as it was (within the area of interest) and you'll have that immediate contrast between what you see in 1967 versus the 50s. Let's have that moment of "Wow. What a change. How the mighty are fallen."

I'm kind of excited for this, I'm just hoping there are zero "collection" missions. I really really did not like that in Bioshock.

It looks like a expansion:cry::cry::cry:

Exactly my problem :( ! The devs had shown such genius with apture, the art was so good that , maybe I had set my expectations too high.

In one of the GDC sessions(I think.. ) The devs had mentioned that earlier they had too many elements in the story of BIOSHOCK, it spanned many years with Rapture going through a civil war and all. They had to cut all that out to make the game more cohesive and comprehensible. I had reaaly hoped that they would delve into that now, show some back story of how rapture fell, be a part of the demise of Rapture.

but instead they show me the same Rapture again, with you being the adversary you were fighting in the first one. Why such Shallow thinking? Big dayddy was not the star of BIOSHOCK, Rapture was the star of Bioshock ! We want to know more about Rapture, not Big Daddy :( !

^I think that you're assuming a little too much Renegade. It kind of seems to me like the second game is going to be more about explaining the origins of the Little Sisters. Maybe they have you play as a Big Daddy just to expand the gameplay?

Exactly my problem :( ! The devs had shown such genius with apture, the art was so good that , maybe I had set my expectations too high.

In one of the GDC sessions(I think.. ) The devs had mentioned that earlier they had too many elements in the story of BIOSHOCK, it spanned many years with Rapture going through a civil war and all. They had to cut all that out to make the game more cohesive and comprehensible. I had reaaly hoped that they would delve into that now, show some back story of how rapture fell, be a part of the demise of Rapture.

but instead they show me the same Rapture again, with you being the adversary you were fighting in the first one. Why such Shallow thinking? Big dayddy was not the star of BIOSHOCK, Rapture was the star of Bioshock ! We want to know more about Rapture, not Big Daddy :( !

I disagree, I think BigDaddy *was* the star of Bioshock. He's the main focus throughout the game. He's the very first enemy you see (while entering rapture). He's the toughest baddie in the game, and he's on the front cover.

I think he is the "icon" of the series, and taking Big Daddy away from Bioshock would do more harm to the franchise than moving "Bioshock" out of Rapture.

I think if they tighten the story, BioShock 2 should be much better than the original. If we are playing as BigDaddy, does it mean we can wonder out into the ocean ? That would be cool !

Actually I would have preferred Bioshock 2 to be a prologue to Bioshock where you play as one of Raptures citizens just prior to and including the "civil war" that lead up to Bioshock.

I just don't get a feeling of wanting to play this where I'll be playing as a BigDaddy. They were huge and menacing. How in the world do you implement a system or story that makes YOU (as in your character) feel impending doom and horror at what is to come?

It just makes me feel like they are moving away from the atmosphere/horror of the original and just making it more FPS-y...

For me the FPS mechanics were there to facilitate the game and storytelling and not the focus (like CoD or KZ2 for example where it's an FPS with story elements thrown in). Going with a BigDaddy just feel like they're moving more towards FPS and less about story/atmosphere.

Then again maybe they'll surprise me.

Regards,
SB

Hmm, that might be a somewhat interesting twist if you play for say half the game as a citizen of Rapture while everything around you crumbles and starts to fall into chaos. Then you're killed/abducted? And forced to be a BigDaddy?

Dunno, still not sure I like the idea of playing as a BigDaddy, guess I'll have to wait until there's more info.

Regards,
SB

I disagree, I think BigDaddy *was* the star of Bioshock. He's the main focus throughout the game. He's the very first enemy you see (while entering rapture). He's the toughest baddie in the game, and he's on the front cover.

I think he is the "icon" of the series, and taking Big Daddy away from Bioshock would do more harm to the franchise than moving "Bioshock" out of Rapture.

"Lets let the player play as Big Daddy himself ! " doesn't seem to be a stroke of genius to me :rolleyes: . It seems as if the devs think that killing Big Daddies was the biggest thrill of the game, whereas I think the atmosphere and horror was the biggest thrill of the game, the focus of the game.

Its like saying "we'll let you play as Hellknight in Doom 4, wouldn't it be so Scary !" :rolleyes:

The decision just didn't show the kind of understanding of the player's experience I believed they had.
SilentBuddha has expanded on my point of view two posts above. I agree.

I think if they tighten the story, BioShock 2 should be much better than the original. If we are playing as BigDaddy, does it mean we can wonder out into the ocean ? That would be cool !

Official Xbox Magazine had a video interview with 2K2 Marin that's posted on the Inside Xbox channel on Xbox Live. They said & showed you going outside the city. ;)

BTW, I hate to spoil for some of those,
but you played as a Big Daddy near the end of the first game

Tommy McClain

Official Xbox Magazine had a video interview with 2K2 Marin that's posted on the Inside Xbox channel on Xbox Live. They said & showed you going outside the city. ;)

BTW, I hate to spoil for some of those,
but you played as a Big Daddy near the end of the first game

Tommy McClain

Unfortunately since I ran into a game stopping bug (no way past it to continue the game, and bug was never patched) I was unable to finish it on PC and don't feel like repurchasing it to play on X360 in order to finish it.

Regards,
SB

Unfortunately since I ran into a game stopping bug (no way past it to continue the game, and bug was never patched) I was unable to finish it on PC and don't feel like repurchasing it to play on X360 in order to finish it.

Regards,
SB

Your loss! :)

Tommy McClain

I know, I wanted to finish the game so badly but after spendning 2 weeks trying to figure out a way to get past that point, I gave up. Even reloading to 2 levels back didn't help...

The safe in the blasted office was STILL completely empty... Hell I would have been happy if I could have just use a cheat code or something to get whatever it was that I needed out of the safe.

Still get PO'd thinking about it. Many many posts about it on their forums also, but no patch... Just a list of things to try and cross your fingers.

Regards,
SB

No value for me... :/ I would actually much prefer a horde mode to this... but that's just my MP preference. Unfortunately, I'm also wondering what that means for the "prequel" aspect. I don't want to feel forced to play the MP just to get to know more about Rapture's history.

Ah well, I just hope the single player is compelling.

Yes wow... one of those times you wish you could travel back in time and undo your actions..

Back